• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seat help PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hey, I was wondering what kind of car seats you LOs are in and how old they were when you changed to different carseats~ My daughter carseat getting to tight we've actually loosened it all we can but its still tight on her and she doesn't like it. We got her a convertible one (the one that was backward facing/rear facing when she was old enough. Well that one is getting tight. I was thinking about getting her a booster seat but dk much about them and do not know what to look for in one any suggestions would be great~ My daughter is a lil over 25 lbs and is almost two. Not sure how old they are suposte to be to be in a booster seat so please help me :-) . If you would be so kind, would you show me pictures of the carseats your lil ones have,and how old they are and etc! :-)

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM

THE LAW IN CA IS 4 AND 4O. THAT'S 4 YEARS OLD AND 40 LBS TO BE IN A BOOSTER. THAT'S A MINIMUM. MOST PEOPLE NOW ARE LEANING TOWARD EXTENDED REAR FACING.

YOU COULD GO WITH A GRACO NAUTILIS, THAT WILL TAKE YOU UNTIL THE END OF YOUR DD'S CARSEAT NEEDS.

MY 2 1/2 YO JUST GOT A COSCO BRAND TODDLER CARSEAT - TO BOOSTER. IT'S A 5 POINT UNTIL 40 LBS, THEN A BELT POSITIONING BOOSTER.

SHE GOT THAT SO THAT MY BABY COULD HAVE HER EDDIE BAUER CONVERTABLE. (REAR FACING, OF COURSE) SORRY, NO PICS. HTH...

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
mommyofblueyes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I agree with the PP, if you have no interst in extended rear facing (which is recommended) then I would go with the Graco Nautilus.  If you want to rear face to 35 lbs. then I would go with the true fit.   Also your DD is def. too young for a booster!!  She needs to stay harnessed!! =)

valentines.gif happy valentines day image by j1010_2007 

Proudmama2009
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Yes, That helped. I found one on walmart.com. Its the cosco Juvenile pink of course. It has the 5 point harness and then once shes older, it turns into a booster one. I think I will try that one. Also our car is kinda small and her other carseat barely fits as its to big for the back seat so maybe this new one im may get wont be as big but protect her :-)

Quoting AM-BRAT:

THE LAW IN CA IS 4 AND 4O. THAT'S 4 YEARS OLD AND 40 LBS TO BE IN A BOOSTER. THAT'S A MINIMUM. MOST PEOPLE NOW ARE LEANING TOWARD EXTENDED REAR FACING.

YOU COULD GO WITH A GRACO NAUTILIS, THAT WILL TAKE YOU UNTIL THE END OF YOUR DD'S CARSEAT NEEDS.

MY 2 1/2 YO JUST GOT A COSCO BRAND TODDLER CARSEAT - TO BOOSTER. IT'S A 5 POINT UNTIL 40 LBS, THEN A BELT POSITIONING BOOSTER.

SHE GOT THAT SO THAT MY BABY COULD HAVE HER EDDIE BAUER CONVERTABLE. (REAR FACING, OF COURSE) SORRY, NO PICS. HTH...

Proudmama2009
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Yes I did not think about that. Besides she will be crawling out of the carseat if shes not harnessed :-/. I found one that 5 point harnessed and once shes old enough it'll turn into a booster car seat. But how do you rear facing mamas do it? I mean my daughter is kinda tall for the rear facing ones I think I may be wrong tho.

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

I agree with the PP, if you have no interst in extended rear facing (which is recommended) then I would go with the Graco Nautilus.  If you want to rear face to 35 lbs. then I would go with the true fit.   Also your DD is def. too young for a booster!!  She needs to stay harnessed!! =)

heatherann0221
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM

that one would be okay if she is already facing forward. I really think it would be more worth your money though to get one that has a higher harnessing weight like the True Fit or the Graco Nautilis. They can keep your child harnessed to 65 pounds. Then the nautilis turns into a high back booster and then a low back booster for up to 100 pounds. The seat you mentioned has to be used as a booster at 40 pounds no matter what. I'm really not comfortable with kids in boosters until they are at least 6 but that is me. Go to the carseat safety group and they would be able to give you lots of information.

ETA: Your daughter would be able to rearface in the True Fit (as it is a convertable with a high harnessing weight) until she was 35 pounds or there was less than one inch of hard shell behind her head. Then she could forward face to 65 pounds.

Proud to be a: 22 year old, married, movie quoting, Thomas watching, carseat loving, Twilight obsessed, happy mommy to Noah Michael (2/21/06) and Kyle James (7/21/08)

mommyofblueyes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I would personally go with the nautilus.  The nautilus harnesses to 65 lbs.  So she will be safer in a harness longer. 

Quoting Proudmama2009:

Yes, That helped. I found one on walmart.com. Its the cosco Juvenile pink of course. It has the 5 point harness and then once shes older, it turns into a booster one. I think I will try that one. Also our car is kinda small and her other carseat barely fits as its to big for the back seat so maybe this new one im may get wont be as big but protect her :-)

Quoting AM-BRAT:

mommyofblueyes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

How tall is she?  Spencer is 16 months. 25 lbs. and 30 in.  and still rear facing.  He likes it though.  I think it would be more comfy rear facing, because they can prop their legs on the back of the seat or sit indian style.  Better then their legs dangling over and falling asleep, lol.  I have a friend whose daughter just turned 2, and I told her about ERF and she wanted to turn her daughter back around, but she is too tall now to rear face in the car seat she has. 

Quoting Proudmama2009:

Yes I did not think about that. Besides she will be crawling out of the carseat if shes not harnessed :-/. I found one that 5 point harnessed and once shes old enough it'll turn into a booster car seat. But how do you rear facing mamas do it? I mean my daughter is kinda tall for the rear facing ones I think I may be wrong tho.

Quoting mommyofblueyes:

valentines.gif happy valentines day image by j1010_2007 

Proudmama2009
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM

She is 27 lbs and like 38 inches is what they told me at the dr. I have no idea what 38 inches mean though lol

hurleydoll18
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Depending on her torso height, she may still be able to rear face.  She can stay rear facing if she has at least an inch of car seat shell above the top of her head.  Seats like the Triumph Advance and True Fit may still be able to keep her rear facing.  The Graco Nautilus is the best choice for a forward facing seat since it will keep her harnessed to about 7-8 yrs old.  Children shouldn't be in a booster until at least 4 yrs and 40lbs but even then they are generally too young.  What seat is she currently in?  I know seats like the comfortSport are generally outgrown around 2-3 yrs old so this isn't unusual.  The 5 point/booster you were considering only harnesses to 40lbs and most children outgrow the harness in height by 3 yrs old and she seems tall so she may already be close to outgrowing them.  That seat would be a waste of money. 

Quoting Proudmama2009:

She is 27 lbs and like 38 inches is what they told me at the dr. I have no idea what 38 inches mean though lol

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM

YES, THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE FOR HER. SHE'S ALREADY FF, SO WE WENT WITH IT. BABY WILL PROLLY BE RF FOR A WHILE, THOUGH, NOW THAT I'M MORE INFORMED.

AND THAT SEAT IS NICE AND COMPACT. WE'RE VERY HAPPY WITH IT, AS WE DRIVE A SMALL CAR ALSO.

Quoting Proudmama2009:

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)