Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP PLEASE! UPDATE in red.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

My dd is 2.5 years old and still uses her soother ( I know I know).  I don't really see anything wrong with it because she only uses to at night or for naps.  And occasionally during the day if she isn't feeling good.  I have been trying to find the right way and the right time to wean her off of it completely.

I have a week off of work and I would like to try to do it now so at least if she is up all night I don't have to go anywhere the next day.  I just don't know how to do it to make as easy on her as possible.  I just put her to bed and I tucked her and gave my hugs and kisses, let her call her dad to say goodnight and then I left the room.  She called me 10 minutes later asking for her soothey and I said I would look for it.  I left her room and pretended to go searching for it.  She called me again after another 10-15 minutes and asked me for it again. I told her I couldn't find it but that I woudl keep looking.  I told her I wanted her to rest her eyes and try to get some sleep while I looked around.

So far she is doing ok but I can hear her crying out for it every few minutes :( I know I am probably going about this the wrong way but I don't know what else to do.

My girl has gone since Friday without her 'soothey'  She has been doing a great job.  She asks for it from time to time but I have just told her that there was another baby that really needed it so we gave it to her because she is a big girl now :)  I am so proud of her!!!!!

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cadlecr4
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I broke my daughter off a lil after she turned 2. I had her throw them in the trash. At night when she wanted one I just reminded her she threw them away.It took a few nights but she did fine. She only cried for 5-10 min b4 she fell asleep.

gypsydancer7
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I think your doing just fine. Keep this going for tonight. If it works (even if it takes her until midnight to sleep) go with it again tommorrow. If it doesnt work and the kickin and screamin start and dont stop.....try something different

Can I ask......is a soother the same as a pacifier??

AppleDaisy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Yes a soother is the same as a pacifier.  My dd calls it her 'soothey'

She seems to be doing good right now so I am going to keep my fingers crossed.

Quoting gypsydancer7:

I think your doing just fine. Keep this going for tonight. If it works (even if it takes her until midnight to sleep) go with it again tommorrow. If it doesnt work and the kickin and screamin start and dont stop.....try something different

Can I ask......is a soother the same as a pacifier??

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
gtowngurl08
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:12 PM

My brother cut the end of my son's off one day and he put it in his mouth took it out looked at it threw it in the floor and never picked it up again. That night he just tossed and turned a little bit. Now I have a 9 month old daughter who has one and he doesn't even show interest in hers. You can't even force him to take it.

P.S.

When you cut the end make sure you cut almost all the tip off.

Stick with it. Good Luck!!

Elfgirl101
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:27 PM

If your plan doesn't work, I've also heard of the "soother fairy".

You explain to your child that she's such a wonderful big girl now that she's due for a visit from the soother fairy. You take the soother outside & tie it to a tree. Explain to her that the soother fairy takes the soother & gives it to a new baby who needs it, but in return, she leaves a toy for your daughter. Before you go out next morning to check the tree, replace the soother with a special little toy your daughter will love.

Good luck with whatever method you use!

AppleDaisy
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:38 PM

This is a great idea!!! I might try this.

Quoting Elfgirl101:

You explain to your child that she's such a wonderful big girl now that she's due for a visit from the soother fairy. You take the soother outside & tie it to a tree. Explain to her that the soother fairy takes the soother & gives it to a new baby who needs it, but in return, she leaves a toy for your daughter. Before you go out next morning to check the tree, replace the soother with a special little toy your daughter will love.

Tiff120686
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:53 PM

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.  I'm not sure how well it works (my daughter never used a pacifier), I saw it on super nanny and it seemed to work great.  They gathered up all the pacifiers and put them all in an envelope and put it in the mail box.  In the morning, the little girl went to the mailbox and there was glitter and feathers every where (from the pacifier fairy) and a gift for her (it was a gift for BIG girls)  The point was to give all the pacifiers to the fairy so that she can bring them to babies who need them, since she is such a big girl and doesn't need them anymore.

Quoting Elfgirl101:

AppleDaisy
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 11:06 AM

She slept much better then I was expecting her to without it.  She woke up a few times asking for it was it was easy enough to talk to her about it and get her back to sleep.  She has only asked for it once this morning and only cried for a few minutes when she didn't get it.

I hope we can do this and her and I can stay strong and get rid of her soothey:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)