Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Issues with diapers, breast pads ect...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hey Ladies,

I have somewhat of a perdicament! See my husband and I and my 5 month old son are probably going to move within the next month or two to either Taiwan or South Korea to teach English there. Well I know nothing about either country and I'm worried about a few things... like diapers! lol! And breast pads! My son can't have normal diapers because he gets diaper rash and I don't think I'm going to be able to order my kind over there, I'm thinking about going clothe but we're going to be there a year and I would need some that fit him now and when he's older. Is there a clothe diaper that can change size with the baby and which ones are best? Also what about clothe wipes?

Ok, now breast pads... my boobs leak a lot and I need them and I can't pack enough for a whole year or however long I do this! lol. Does anybody know if a good, super absorbant re-usable one? I've tried the Gerber I think it is and I found that they are rather small and I have big boobs so that doesn't work and they don't hold very much. The times I did use them my shirt was soaked when I woke up! (Oh the joy of breast feeding! JK I love it but that is one thing I could do without).

One other question, does anybody know where you can get those really cute undershirt breast feeding things? The ones that make you look like your wearing a shirt but it goes from your waist up to your boobs so your belly doesn't show when you nurse. Oh and those cute nursing wraps? Apparently from what I've heard, in Asia only the poor women breastfeed and your kind of looked down on for it and they are also kind of conservative. I don't care what people think of me but I don't want to offend anybody or if my husbands students see me feeding my son I don't want it to create any problems for him.

Thanks for any advice you could give me!!!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBugs
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Wow, I'm jealous you get to travel like that, lol. Anyway, www.diapers.com has a wonderful variety of things and if I'm not mistaken they have both diapers (wide variety) and breast pads. Good luck with your travels!

GlitterAmberCatchyCreationbyAmy.gif picture by preemiemommy
mommytobe090708
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Thanks! I will have to check them out! Actually, I'm kind of jealous of all the people that get to stay in America! lol! My husband graduated from college at the wrong time, this last December when the economy has pretty well gone to crap and nobody is hiring or if they are in his field they are being picky and wanting 5+years exp. so he's underqualified and lower paying jobs wont take him cause he's over qualified! We've both been un-employed for 3 months and my husband has applied to literally over 100 places! Err.. lol. Anyway, so we're a lot better of moving overseas and getting a job there, they are desperate for teachers, but Asia was not my first choice;)

Quoting LoveMyBugs:

Wow, I'm jealous you get to travel like that, lol. Anyway, http://www.diapers.com/ has a wonderful variety of things and if I'm not mistaken they have both diapers (wide variety) and breast pads. Good luck with your travels!

LoveMyBugs
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM

My DH is military and our first duty station was supposed to be Kadena, Japan. We couldn't go because of our oldest DD's medical problems but I wish we could have. That has to be tough. The whole qualified/underqualified deal. I would be ticked off to. Sucks when your own country is such crap you have to go elsewhere. Enjoy your time there though because I bet it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Aamy
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Pack some for now, and when you need more have someone send you more. Also im sure you can order off line. GL and congrats on the traveling.

Only half the patients who go into an abortion clinic come out alive.   ~ Author Unknown
If it isn't a baby, then you aren't pregnant, so what are you aborting ?   ~ Author Unknown

Aamy
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Quoting mommytobe090708:

Thanks! I will have to check them out! Actually, I'm kind of jealous of all the people that get to stay in America! lol! My husband graduated from college at the wrong time, this last December when the economy has pretty well gone to crap and nobody is hiring or if they are in his field they are being picky and wanting 5+years exp. so he's underqualified and lower paying jobs wont take him cause he's over qualified! We've both been un-employed for 3 months and my husband has applied to literally over 100 places! Err.. lol. Anyway, so we're a lot better of moving overseas and getting a job there, they are desperate for teachers, but Asia was not my first choice;)

Quoting LoveMyBugs:

Wow, I'm jealous you get to travel like that, lol. Anyway, http://www.diapers.com/ has a wonderful variety of things and if I'm not mistaken they have both diapers (wide variety) and breast pads. Good luck with your travels!

My Dh has been out of a job since Nov. And he to looked at teaching English. But in Japan. But it was for single ppl, cause they give you a dorm room. Not enough room for me and DH and DD !!

Only half the patients who go into an abortion clinic come out alive.   ~ Author Unknown
If it isn't a baby, then you aren't pregnant, so what are you aborting ?   ~ Author Unknown

mommytobe090708
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Thanks! I will definatly try my hardest to enjoy it, I'm sure it will just take a little time to get used to though...

P.S. Maybe some day you'll get the chance to go, I never thought I was going to be able to and now all within 2 weeks I'm packing everything up and will be leaving soon! Crazy! So anything could happen!

Quoting LoveMyBugs:

My DH is military and our first duty station was supposed to be Kadena, Japan. We couldn't go because of our oldest DD's medical problems but I wish we could have. That has to be tough. The whole qualified/underqualified deal. I would be ticked off to. Sucks when your own country is such crap you have to go elsewhere. Enjoy your time there though because I bet it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

VaNavyMom2b2009
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM

they do get mail over there...not like you will be cut off or something lol

Now if you were going to Africa...

I would pack enough for at least 6 months and then order the rest online, etc. You could also have family/friends ship you boxes of what you need.

Everything will work out. God bless and best of luck :)

yoginimama
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM
I'm sorry I don't know about cloth diapers or breast pads but as for the nursing shirts: they have some great nursing tank tops at Target which work really well for discrete feedings (I wore them whenever I traveled layered with a t-shirt for extra coverage.) Unfortunately, they only come in three colors: white, grey and black. But as I said, they are great for layering under shirts as they are also rather long. I got them there a year ago so hopefully they are still there. Motherhood may also have some nursing shirts. I got my "Hooter Hider" from this baby specialty shop but I've seen the at Babies 'R Us. Hope that helps! All the best to you in your family and safe travels!
LoveMyBugs
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM

We decided that if my DD's health improved while my DH was still in we were going to put in to go to Italy or Germany. Really Germany is the one place we could go now but it's so cold and that is one factor that keeps my DD from staying healthy.

Take lots of pictures while you are there. Especially with your baby so you can make a scrapbook of him in that country. That would be something amazing to see when he get's older.

Quoting mommytobe090708:

Thanks! I will definatly try my hardest to enjoy it, I'm sure it will just take a little time to get used to though...

P.S. Maybe some day you'll get the chance to go, I never thought I was going to be able to and now all within 2 weeks I'm packing everything up and will be leaving soon! Crazy! So anything could happen!

mommytobe090708
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM

You should look some more, I've looked a lot recently and I don't know if the schools are starting a new semester or something but their are a ton of job posting out there. I had a friend who went to work in Japan and they had a really cute, nice size apartment that was paid for and they still got paid a monthly salary. If your willing to work on South Korea there are endless job opportunities! We posted his resume on a website and within two days got over 20 people responding to us. The one I found a lot on was Dave's ESL Cafe, the website is like eslcafe.com or something like that, google it and you should find it. They have new jobs posting every day! Good luck!

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting mommytobe090708:

Quoting LoveMyBugs:

My Dh has been out of a job since Nov. And he to looked at teaching English. But in Japan. But it was for single ppl, cause they give you a dorm room. Not enough room for me and DH and DD !!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)