• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm Concerned!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter Nevaeh is 21 months old and is not talking yet, she babbles alot but doesn't say any words. I have a neice who is exactly 1 month younger than Nevaeh and she is talking very well saying words like octopus and laundry, dinosaur, she can also say all her colors and shapes and animals, she is practically speaking full sentences. I am very worried because nevaeh was born 4 weeks early and got vaccinated at 2 months (adjusted age of 1 month) she had an allergic reaction and her brain swelled, her doctor at the time said she was fine, I have of course since then switched doctors, and he says all baby's develop at their own rate, but I have a gut feeling that there may have been some longterm damage from the swelling of her brain at such a young age. So I was wondering if some mothers would tell me when their children began speaking, so I can stop worrying, if their are some other children out there that took a little longer to start speaking, then i would be able to beleive my doctor more that it is normal. Because if not I want to do whatever i can to find out what is wrong and how to help my lil girl......Thank you

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Here's a bump. my son is only 16 months so I can't really help

lovenevaeh4life
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Thank you

jcp270
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I don't know what it is called nationwide, but have you tried to get her into any Early Intervention programs?  The best way to find out about them would be through your doctor.  But they told us when we tested our 19 month old that they really had to be 2 before they could really tell if he was behind.  But to answer your question he was late but really picked it up and was talking decent by 24-26 months.  We actually had him tested again last month at 3 years 3 months because his new dr had a hard time understanding him and they said again that he was fine!! 

Isabellas2006
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM

My DD is 2. She didn't start to talk until she was 22 months. In these past few months she has learned a lot! I thought something was wrong with my DD but it's like she learned it over night. I watch a little boy that is only 2 months older then my DD and he has been speaking well since 15 months. So don't worry. All children learn at different rates. But if she isn't speaking by 2 I would have a talk with the Dr.

Katy_Lentz
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I'm in the same boat! My son is 18 months old and has yet to speak a word. He will occasionally mumble 'daddy' or 'stomp' but that's it! He kept having reactions to vaccines, so we aren't getting any more until I feel that he is ready, but I worry that the damage has been done.

I wouldn't worry until 2 and 1/2 though. That's the age when they all SHOULD be saying something!! Good luck and God Bless:)

MoMmY122206
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM

My DD is just over 2 and she isn't really talking. He Doctor and Nutritionalist say it is because she is SO active and focused on other things. She understands what I am  saying and you will hear a word now and then, but not too much.

AngelasMom2006
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Now I'm worried my daughter is 2 1/2 and my she doesnt complitely know her shapes and numbers...lol...you shouldn't worry. My daughter started speaking early maybe because she was a VERY active child but my friends daughter started at 3. Time will come don't worry. Unless the doc says that something is wrong I don't think you should worry.

bugga
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM

my nephew was like that and my sister in law vineally (my letter above the v doesn't work sorry) had his ears checked he needed tubes now u cant get him to be quite  .. has ur ped. look at her.. some kids that r early just learn things at their own speed. trust me ounce they start u will wish they never did lol..

mmmbear2k
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM

My oldest started talking early and by the time she was 16 months she was putting sentences together and singing full songs. But my second daughter she was almost 2 and I remember taking her to the doctor because she was not talking and he told me the same thing all kids develop differently and don't compare children.

Also when I was at that doctors appointment (my girls are 20 months apart) the doctor noticed that my oldest child did all the talking for my youngest child. So when I went home that day, I payed attention to what the doctor had said and every time my youngest needed something the oldest child would ask for it. After that I started trying to get my youngest child to ask for things and she started talking.

lovenevaeh4life
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Thank you all so much it really helps me not worry so much now, I am having someone come to the house to observe her to possibly rule out autism, and I was also told they cant really determine anything until thy are 2 as well, but  until I know she is fine I am also not continuing with her vaccines...thanks again I really apreciate all the great advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)