Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM
  • 8 Replies

Does anyone know if someone who is receiving widows social security benefits still get a part-time job? My dad passed away on Jan. 20th and my mom is receiving widows benefits from social security but she was talking about possibly getting a part-time job in a couple of months when she feels like she can handle it. Of course, she is going to call and ask but I was wondering if anyone knew how this works? Any info. is appreciated.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
3mommy3
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:22 AM

My aunt worked a PT job, but she had a cap on the amount of income she could have.

Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Thanks. She just wants a little something to keep her busy and give her some kind of routine. She has stayed home and has been taking care of my dad for the past five years so she kind of needs something to keep her busy.

Quoting 3mommy3:

My aunt worked a PT job, but she had a cap on the amount of income she could have.

3mommy3
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM

I'm sure. All that free time gives her way too much time to think....Keep her busy and keep her mind off of things as much as possible. I would check on the SS website or call and find out the guidelines first.

BTW....So sorry a/b the loss of your Dad.

Quoting Karebear6101:

Thanks. She just wants a little something to keep her busy and give her some kind of routine. She has stayed home and has been taking care of my dad for the past five years so she kind of needs something to keep her busy.

Quoting 3mommy3:

Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:33 AM

I have been having a really hard time dealing with my dad passing away. I am trying to stay strong for my mom and help her out with everything. It's just a really hard time right now.

Quoting 3mommy3:

I'm sure. All that free time gives her way too much time to think....Keep her busy and keep her mind off of things as much as possible. I would check on the SS website or call and find out the guidelines first.

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting 3mommy3:

brittney16
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Quoting Karebear6101:

I have been having a really hard time dealing with my dad passing away. I am trying to stay strong for my mom and help her out with everything. It's just a really hard time right now.

Quoting 3mommy3:

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting 3mommy3:

im so sry about your dad i know how you feel my dad died in august of 08 and im still having a hard time so if you need anyone to talk to im here just let me know ok and give your mom my sorrow

3mommy3
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM

My Mom died when I was 6 and it is still hard at times. I can't imagine losing my Dad.

It's great that you are there for your Mom and you should be, but you also need to take your time to grieve. Just don't shove all of your emotions aside and let it all build up on you. It will come to a surface and knock you to your knees one day. Personal experience on that one.

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting 3mommy3:

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting 3mommy3:

MandSMOM
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:41 AM

You should definitely call social security(ss), but i don't think that you have a cap on pay with the widow's ss. I think there is only a cap if you are getting your own(ss).

So sorry to here about your dad.im sorry

Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:48 AM

She is definetly going to call when she is ready to start looking for something. I just got to thinking about it and figured I would see if anyone on here knew. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Quoting MandSMOM:

You should definitely call social security(ss), but i don't think that you have a cap on pay with the widow's ss. I think there is only a cap if you are getting your own(ss).

So sorry to here about your dad.im sorry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)