Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dora's New Look (UPDATE WITH PETITION)

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:26 AM
  • 36 Replies

UPDATE: I found the petition. You can sign it with out donating money!!!! (It asks you to donate after you sign), but you've all ready signed so you can exit out of the site once your done signing....Just wanted to warn ya, but like I said, its optional to donate..... Here is the link

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Dora_Makeover/

Dora got a controversial new look!! I don't like it at all.....I don't think she looks like the cute little girl anymore..

She looks more like Whora the Explorer....

controversial new look

BY Christina Boyle
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Updated Friday, March 6th 2009, 4:22 PM

All grown up? Dora the Explorer appears to be headed for a more sophisticated look, judging from this teaser image. Nickelodeon

All grown up? Dora the Explorer appears to be headed for a more sophisticated look, judging from this teaser image.

The preschool-aged Dora sports shorts and a backpack on her many adventures. Nickelodeon

The preschool-aged Dora sports shorts and a backpack on her many adventures.

Take our Poll

Not kidding around

What do you think about Mattel's decision to change Dora the Explorer's look?

It's too sexy. I don't want my kids playing with that

She needs to grow up like a real kid

What's the fuss? It's just a toy, for crying out loud

Dora the Explorer is getting a makeover.

The cutsie cartoon character is ditching her shorts and the neat little backpack for what her creators are calling a "new
fashionable look."

Although the new Dora will not be officially unveiled until fall, Nickelodeon and Mattel released a silhouette of the revamped figure that shows her with long locks, a short skirt and pointed ballet pumps.

And it has some parents up in arms.

"What next? Dora the Cheerleader? Dora the fashionista with stylish purse and stilettos? Dora the Pop Star with Hoppin' Dance Club and "Juice" Bar?" says an online petition started by two moms, Lyn Mikel Brown and Sharon Lamb, who coauthored the book Packaging Girlhood.

"We can expect it all, because that's what passes as "tween" in the toy department these days."

Creators of Dora the Explorer, a favorite character among preschoolers that teaches kids English and Spanish, say they are just making her move with the times.

The tweenage Dora will live in the big city, attend middle school and have a new wardrobe and accessories.

"For nearly ten years, Dora the Explorer has had such a strong following among preschoolers, catapulting it into the number one preschool show on commercial television," said Gina Sirard, Mattel's vice president of marketing.

"Girls really identify with Dora and we knew that girls would love to have their friend Dora grow up with them, and experience the new things that they were going through themselves.

"The brand captures girls' existing love of Dora and marries it with the fashion doll play and online experiences older girls enjoy."
Critics say they would prefer Dora to grow up true to the character she is as a child.

"If the Dora we knew grew up, she wouldn't be a fashion icon or a shopaholic. She'd develop her map reading skills and imagine the places she could go," the petition says.

"It's such a sell out of Dora, of all girls."

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2009/03/06/2009-03-06_dora_the_explorer_dolls_get_controversia.html

Click Picture to Join "Lookin Fine in '09" a weightloss group!
Photo of Audrina Patridge, edited by AlyssaH87

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
retsillacam
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:30 AM

whora the explorer LMAO. Whats she exploring now?

AlyssaH87
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Bi-sexuality and dirty dancing.  Lol

Quoting retsillacam:

momofroni
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Why are they even changing her?  My 3 yr old nephew loves Dora.  So what if older kids outgrow her - there are children born everyday that would probably love her.  What happens in a few years?  Dora explores college?  I think she will loose her appeal if they make her character grow up - especially into mini-skirts!

retsillacam
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM

LOL

Quoting AlyssaH87:

Bi-sexuality and dirty dancing.  Lol

Quoting retsillacam:

Katy_Lentz
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM

HAHAHA I dislike Dora anyway! I think that it's sad that they are targetting the 'sex appeal' age to preschoolers, but hopefully enough people will complain:)

Quoting retsillacam:

AlyssaH87
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I know, my son loves Dora, why would he be interested in a tweenage Dora? He is TWO years old!!! I think they are ruining the show!!! Is it still gonna be on Nick Jr. I wonder? Cause nick jr is for preschoolers, not TWEENS!!!

Quoting momofroni:

Why are they even changing her?  My 3 yr old nephew loves Dora.  So what if older kids outgrow her - there are children born everyday that would probably love her.  What happens in a few years?  Dora explores college?  I think she will loose her appeal if they make her character grow up - especially into mini-skirts!

NattysMommy
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Looks like they are turning it into a show for pre-teens now instead of pre-schoolers....I don't know why these companies have to change something when it was working for them before with no problems. Think she'll be modeled after the Bratz dolls since the company that made them are no longer allowed to sell their dolls (if that whole story was even true...I didn't keep up with it)?

Katy_Lentz
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Remember the Rugrats????????????? That was the best cartoon EVER and even when they got older(after over 10 years of doing the show) it was TASTEFULLY done!!!

Sorry, just wanted to remind people of the good ol' days:)

Quoting momofroni:

Why are they even changing her? My 3 yr old nephew loves Dora. So what if older kids outgrow her - there are children born everyday that would probably love her. What happens in a few years? Dora explores college? I think she will loose her appeal if they make her character grow up - especially into mini-skirts!

MorganRaesMom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM

If they do that I probably won't let my daughter watch it anymore. And that's really sad because she loves it and it's one of the few shows I don't mind her watching.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

AlyssaH87
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Agreed. I told my husband last night that if they change it, Matthew will no longer be able to watch his favorite show :(

Quoting MorganRaesMom:

If they do that I probably won't let my daughter watch it anymore. And that's really sad because she loves it and it's one of the few shows I don't mind her watching.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)