Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'll never forget that sound

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:17 AM
  • 17 Replies

At the mall yesterday withDH and DD we were standing in line. We saw many women with their kids in the back of the cart though the seat has the warning about that. But this one woman had her small girl in the back of the cart. The mother took her hands off the cart for no more than two seconds and the little girl fell right out of the cart. I didn't have to see it, I heard it. It was the most horrible sound I have ever heard. It was the little girls head on the hard tile. I will never forget the sound for as long as I live, it chilled me to the bone. I just closed my eyes and prayed for her to cry, I didn't want to look and see a dead baby on the floor. She did cry after a few seconds and everyone rushed over to her. There was blood coming out of her ears!!! They had to call an ambulance, the mother was hysterical which I don't blame her. I wanted to be sick after seeing this maybe 3 year old with blood coming out of her ears. If you don't know bleeding from the ears means you're bleeding from inside your head it just comes out of the ears. The child couldn't stand up nor really could it lift it's head. I hope the baby doesn't have brain damage.

This isn't the first time I've seen something like this. When I was younger and working in a department store in the mall a mother had two kids in her cart one in the seat one in the back. She was taking the cart out into the parking lot, hit the little curb and the whole cart flipped over. The 3 year old boy fell out the back and the little baby who could be no more than 8 months maybe a small one year old fell out the seat. I can't shack that image out of my head.

So please do not put your kids in the back of the cart no matter how old! It might just be that time that your kid falls out.

~*Brightest Blessings*~

Christina

"if you can't find what you're looking for within yourself, you'll never find it without."

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emmy217
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Awh that is horrible. I hope the baby is alright! Sometimes you can forget how quick accidents can happen with children. You think they will be okay because you are "right there" and then you turn your head away for just a second and something bad happens.

bleumonster
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:22 AM

OMG. That just makes me sick to my stomach. I will pray for that child. I have let my son get in the back of the cart when he is really tired since he has gotten too big to sit up front. I never really thought about the cart tipping over as I've never seen one do that. It won't happen again. 

Kim  

aprilmayjune84
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I used to work at wal-mart.  I saw a six month old baby in a shopping cart tip over and the baby fell out of the cart and hit the back of her head on the floor.  The baby stopped breathing for a minute.I swear that my heart stopped until that baby started crying again!  And the baby's mother wouldn't let me call an ambulance!!

Proud_usaf_wife
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM

That is horrible. 

MorriganzMommy
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Quoting aprilmayjune84:

I used to work at wal-mart.  I saw a six month old baby in a shopping cart tip over and the baby fell out of the cart and hit the back of her head on the floor.  The baby stopped breathing for a minute.I swear that my heart stopped until that baby started crying again!  And the baby's mother wouldn't let me call an ambulance!!

She refused the ambulance, hope that baby turned out ok, I hope she took her to the ER. Isn't it a terrible thing to see, It doesn't have to be your kid and you still feel hurt.

Cass0289
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:11 PM

You know what as sick and sad as that is I am really glad you posted this.  It has made me more aware and even though I am not at that point with my 7 month old I am always going to remember this.  I would give anything to know that that baby was ok.  Thank you for informing people.

crying

MorriganzMommy
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I want mothers to see the possibility that their child can be harmed by being allowed in the back of the cart. I hope this never happens to another child.

MomOfFour30
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:11 PM

OMG!...That is horrible.I got chills reading your post...I am always the paranoid mom until something like this happens and then I say "see, look what can happen"...I wonder if there is a way to know how she is???

nmjordan
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I have seen this and also something similar, children swinging on clothing racks. I used to work at a department store and this little girl, probably 5 years old, no parent around, was swinging on an empty rack and it tipped over and she bashed her head on the floor. We called an ambulance and her mother couldn't even be located in the store right away despite many announcements. Some parents.

~ Nicole ~
Mom to Brandon, 
6-25-06
Proud Navy Wife

Mandafers
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:53 AM

That is the scariest sound! My DD was playing with a friend while his mom and I were in the store. We were right there, standing next to them. The little boy accidently knocked my DD to the floor and she hit head first. Oh man that sound made me sick.. Thankfully she was just fine, it hurt really bad but no damage. My heart stopped and I just cried! It's so scary.

I admit, I had my DD in the back of the cart last night. I kept thinking, I wonder if it's ok? She always stands up in the seat (we always get the broken buckel ones.. I swear they have none that are right!) and I'm terrified she'll fall out of the seat so I let her ride in the back. She laid down in there but looks like it would be easy for her to fall out of there too. Those carts are just dangerous!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

pregnancy calendar

"Tolerance means I treat you with respect even when we totally disagree. You're a child of God. You're worthy of dignity. We may disagree, but we're going to tolerate each other, and even more than that, we can be friends. You're never going to please everybody. I don't need to agree with somebody in order to love them." - Rick Warren

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)