Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thumbsucking questions

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son stop using a pacifier once he found his thumb, Is it ok to let him suck his thumb and for how long. Or it it just a phase? Any advice?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
littlejreece
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Hi there, I don't know if you mentioned how old your baby is, but it probably isn't a big deal right now if he is still an infant. My 10 month old daughter never used a pacifier, and doesn't suck on her thumb, but she constantly chews on her fingers (probably a teething thing). It is not something that bothers me right now, and since she does  not seem to be doing it as a coping or self-soothing behavior yet, I am not going to worry about it too much.

If your little one is closer to toddler age, maybe you can try to distract him with something else when he tries to suck his thumb to stop the behavior? Good luck!

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I think they say let it be until three.

sweetscrappin
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:07 PM

IMO.... i think for the first few months the thumb sucking is totally fine.. our son had a paci... granted he only used it at night.. it was his self soother.. and then at about 4 months, it changed.. he started to stroke his hair, and thus caused a lot of his hair to fall out.. so we introduced a stuffed toy... "lamby" He just holds onto it.. no paci, no thumb, just something to stroke his face with when he's falling a sleep... he's 8 months old, and doesnt use anything, granted, lamby is still in his crib, but as long as he can find it, he will be alright.. but when he's awake, he doesnt need it, even if he sees it, he doesnt want it, its just something soft for him... sorry to ramble.. but i think your good on the thumb, there is a great baby book out called baby411 and they talk alot about transition objects and self soothing..

bookworm3oo
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM

If you can get him to just use his pacifier that would be best.We let our son suck his thumb and never even gave him a pacifier and that was a big mistake.He is 5 years old now and still sucks his thumb,and his front teeth stick out more then they should as a result.Now we will have huge dental bills when he is older to get braces or whatever needs to be done to fix his mouth.

jaidenmom08
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Thanx, he will be 6 months on the 30.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)