Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sex talk?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

I was wondering what age everyone is planning on (or if has already when?) given their children the actual official sit down sex talk?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I would say at about 4th grade. Not a detailed one at that age, but you should be talking because they are getting into discussing it with friends at that age.

a.opat
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM

i had planned on when they hit puberty

lyndonsmom
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I think when they start asking questions or are mature enough to handle the answers. I don't ever want to lie to them and say babies come from a stork and they bring the baby to mommy and daddy blah blah blah.

dakajazz23
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I forgot to mention, I am asking because I have an eight year old (third grade) and a five year old (kindergarten) in addition to the 8 month old and other one on the way.

pregnancyLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
lisaspainhour
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I would say elementary school...Umm 4th grade. By the time they get to 5th grade and into Middle school, you're a little late talking to your kids about something that all their friends are already talking to them about.

inwonderland888
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I would say a simple and basic sex talk and a talk about her future body changes in 4 th grade (so about 9-10 years old). I would just give my daughter the basic overview at this point. I remember being in 4 th grade and kids talking about sex. If I wouldnt of already known about most of it the things they said would of been really confusing and I want my daughter to not worry about being confused about it.

But if she does have question at a younger age I would be more the willing to answer them and depending on the level of the questions deciding to give the baisc sex talk early.

Mine came at 8 years old so like 3rd grade.... My grandma sat me down to watch a 'mom, where do babys come from' cartoon that was very detailed in a appropriate way about everything that has to do w/ sex and puberty. I needed at this point cause even then kids were talking about sex ALOT and I had so many questions at that point.

2kinder
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I have an 8 year old 3rd grader as well, and so far if she asks a question I answer her on her level. I was planning on continuing to do that until next year and have the full talk with her because I think that she'll start menstration within the next 1 1/2 years.

Quoting dakajazz23:

I forgot to mention, I am asking because I have an eight year old (third grade) and a five year old (kindergarten) in addition to the 8 month old and other one on the way.

squidsmommy
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I think I was in third and my brother in fourth when my mom showed us the movie "Where do Babies Come From?" I think that's what it's called. It's a cartoon and is pretty good. It was embarassing watching it with my brother, but it was educational and put a light twist on things.

kathie167
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:55 PM

I got a note from school asking permission they were going to discuss sex education in 4th Grade.  I am sure that was in 4 th grade and thet sent home the booklet..Public school education     

kathie167
brandieevans_6
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Well I gave my oldest 2 sons and 2 daughters the talk when they were 11,my husband gave his daughter the talk when she was 9.I'm planning on giving our son together the talk when he's about 10 or 11.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)