Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Myspace for elementary age children

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your elementary age child have a myspace?

Options:

Yes why not

Hell No!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

My daughter who is in the second grade and almost 8 has asked me for a myspace! I think she is way too young and I told her no, I even tried to explain without being too graffic why I dont thinks it is appropriate for her not to have one and thats because its not safe and too many young girls have been kidnapped from it because they were too trusting and you can not trust everyone you meet. So of course she comes back with "but mom other friends have it" I think thats rediculous for a child to have a myspace!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tes1proudmomma
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Yes. I would let my daughter have one.

They have security settings that no one can contact you if they aren't on your friends list, have her page private etc etc. I would also have her password so I could monitor everything that she was doing on it. I would supervise. I wouldn't let her main picture be one of herself so pervs could see and I wouldn't let her put her real location or anything that could lead someone to her just from what they can see when you have their page private...

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:04 PM

They have build a bear and disney faries that are like myspace in many ways.

It limits conversations and has no picks.

MichelleMc
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM

There are other sites out there. NO WAY IN HELL even my teenager is getting one. Between the advertising & the bulletins that someone might send not realizing it goes to EVERYONE on their myspace, like a friend or family member that forgot they added her.

There is no need for these pages. They aren't missing out because they don't have one. There are other things they can do.

Michelle

~Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice~ 

Jonathan

Administrator in Moms Of Onlies Group

Proud Teenager, Life Ranked Boy Scout, Scottish Drummer,

Native American Dancing Parent!

Proud Navy Submarine Vets Wife!

american flag ribbonshooting photocelebrityscrapbooking

mom4jads
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM

My 9 year old just asked me for his own e-mail. NOOO WAY!!! He can use mine if he really needs it. As far as my space and Facebook. HELL NO!!! Just asking for problems JMO

DeathBat
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM

My sister who is in 5th grade doesn't give a rats ass about myspace. she's more interested in youtube and always makes videos. I rather have a myspace... But whatever. My mom WANTS her to put up videos of my sister singing incase she get's "discovered". But yes, I agree with the other mother. I would supervise.

Steff107
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:13 PM

If you read the Myspace terms of membership it plainly states you have to be like 14 years old(maybe 12, it's been awhile) to have a profile on myspace.  Myspace was not made for younger children, and it has sevral adult situations that the child could stumble upon.  There are age appropriate networks for those younger in age.  There's always going outside and playing with your friends when you are that age too...

DeathBat
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:13 PM

What's wrong with an email? I'm not bashing, just wonering.

Quoting mom4jads:

My 9 year old just asked me for his own e-mail. NOOO WAY!!! He can use mine if he really needs it. As far as my space and Facebook. HELL NO!!! Just asking for problems JMO

RaeLynnsMomma
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I don't think I would let my dd have one until she was in maybe her mid teens.  I think 8 is a little young for a myspace.  JMO  If you do, I would just very closely monitor it.  But her age seems a little young for myspace anyway.  Like a previous poster said there is build-a-bear and disneyfairies which I think is more age appropriate. 

mom4jads
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I know you are not bashing, But The way I think of it is my son barely use the phone . Why would he need his own e-mail? Even with all the parent controls and monitoring, things still get in. I really don't want to explain those things to him at this age. He still blushes when he see I get a new Victor Secret catalog. (Which I really don't let him see either)

Quoting DeathBat:

What's wrong with an email? I'm not bashing, just wonering.

Quoting mom4jads:

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:29 PM

HELL NO.my boys only went on the computer at that age to look up info for school.No flipping need for it   IMHO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)