Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Done with the SMOKING thing!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:15 PM
  • 20 Replies

On February 24Th I started to take Chantix, a pill that helps you to stop smoking. I have been doing well with it, but I had a Serious dream about smoking, and smoking and smoking. When I got up this morning I felt like I did smoke and it made me feel lousy. I am trying to help my health and I don't want  smoking to get in the way of taking care of my son. I don't smoke in the house or in the car, but he sees me and in the summer it's hard to run with him and play games. On March 2nd I started taking a multi vitamin everyday, due to my doctors advice. Ever since I started trying to take care of myself, I have NO energy, I feel depressed, my son seems to be disobedient and hard to handle lately. I have told my husband how I feel, but he has nothing to say about it, no advice. :(  Everything seems not important, the more days that go by, the messier my house gets and the more mess the more depressed I get.                  Please, I need advice!                embarrassed

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HuskerAmber
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I think it's AWESOME you are trying to quit smoking. I have never been a smoker so I don't have any advice, but I'll give you a bump.

ErinaM
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I am also taking Chantix and have been since the 8th of Febuary with very few side effects. I have heard tho that some people start to feel the way you do. Talk to your Dr again. Do you feel like you need the Chantix to quit....if not I'd probably get off of it. Well I would say get off of it either way and see if you start to feel better.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:40 PM

It will take some time to start feeling normal. In quit the beginning of Feb and I felt lousy for 2 weeks or so. It helped me to think about an inconvienience it wasto run out and get them. I quit cold turkey and am still getting thoughts about smoking.

I hide really good chocolates as a break time for me, just like a smoke was.

MommyOnLI
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:50 PM

when i quit smoking, i did it cold turkey and survived on BIG RED gum.

yes i know it soiunds funny, but if it wasnt for Big Red i dont think i would have quit.

never took Chantix so i dont know how you are suposed to feel

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:15 PM

ARGH! I could quit smoking any day now.. I only smoke at night when the kids go to bed and I only have like 2 or 3.. I HAVE to quit, cigarette's went up almost $2 a pack here and are due to go up again next month!

BingsMommy
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Congrats. I use Nicotine gum and it is wonderful

Jonee
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Congrats to everyone who has stopped smoking or attempting to!  I quit smoking cold turkey in jan 1997 and didn't smoke for 7 years. Then started back in 2004 and just quit again last year Jan 2008!  I am smoking free for the 2nd time 1 year and 2.5 months.  The 2nd time I quit I used nicorette gum, cheap walmart brand and only took me 1 month to kick the habit.

I have heard that Chantix(sp?) gives strange side effects. So definately talk to your dr and consider another method.

Jonee

kids4ever515
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:31 AM

My husband used chantix and it made him very depressed and he didn't want to do anything. He didn't smoke though. So he finished the meds and two weeks later he was smoking again. They can can prescribe you something with an antidepressant in it now. He hasen't tried it because we don't have script coverage and its a little pricey. Talk to your doc again. Good luck.

Janis198
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM

It is very normal to feel like total shit when you are quiting, The body starts getting rid of all the shit that the cigs, put in you, I felt like I had the flu for about 6 weeks, and then I felt great.  I can breath and never get short of breath now, I quit 9 years ago and feel like I never smoked and I had smoked for 13 years before I quit.  Also, that Chantix makes you feel sick too,  So I would use it for about a week or 2 and then try to stop useing that and go without anything.  And buy a huge pack of gum.  My husband just quit 10 months ago and chewed so much gum his jaw hurt, but it worked for him, good luck and you CAN do it.  Oh and brake all habits that you did while smoking, like say in the morning you got a cup of coffee and sat down to a smoke in the same chair every morning, change it, so you are sitting in a different place.

Janis mommy to 5 great kids, 4 girls and 1 boy

bouncing momfamily in the van

Janis198
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Also as a treat to myself after I had quit, I went to the dentist to get a very expensive cleaning, They said my teeth were completely covered behind the teeth with tar and yuky stuff from cigs, so it took them 3 days of cleaning to get it all off, and I knew I didn't want to have to go through that again,

Janis mommy to 5 great kids, 4 girls and 1 boy

bouncing momfamily in the van

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)