Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Control for men?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM
  • 12 Replies

Is there such a thing? (other than surgery)

If not, they need to invent it, so that us women can take a break! LOL

(like a pill to make their sperm inactive or something lol)

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

My Family

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myleismommy2008
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM

hahaha true true but all i know is a condom or surgery....but I have heard a guys surgery is reversible

forsythia_18
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Hell yes!  Birth control is such a drag.  Women go through so much emotionally/physically because of it and men wonder why sometimes we're just "not in the mood".  lol

sarah_ray06
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM

That would be great.... but im sure some would be mad about it though saying that it is some type of "abortion" to kill sperm.

Sirenabella
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM

A few yrs back I read about a possible birth control for men that was being researched. I think it involved black widow venom or some such? I haven't heard anything about it since though.

PregoDiana
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM

yeah, Im sure! lol, there is always controversy about EVERYTHING!  Some are against BC for woman for the same reason!  silly IMO.  not every sperm was meant to create a life!  We would all have BILLIONS of kids if that were the case!  =P

Quoting sarah_ray06:

That would be great.... but im sure some would be mad about it though saying that it is some type of "abortion" to kill sperm.

CjsMommy103106
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Dare to dream...lol I wish... I work for an OB Clinic so I think that is something I'm going to ask one of the doctors. You know as the saying goes, men think they are so great, why can't they have the kids:) lol.... we always will have one up on them in the whole anything you can do I can do better....lol Gnight ladies

tanya_marieh
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:31 AM
This is what I have found and it sounds like it is STILL in research.

In 1960, women were given "the pill." It changed women's sexuality and allowed for women's liberation movements. Now, ore than 40 years later, men may be given their turn.

Since women have had the pill available to them, they have seen many other forms of birth control options pop up for them, including an injection, a ring and a patch. Men, all through this time, have had two options: a condom or a vasectomy. Both have received less-than-positive attention; condoms for being uncomfortable and a vasectomy for being too painful.

Now, after 40 years, scientists may have a legitimate birth control pill for men. The pill works similarly to the women's pill.

The female contraceptive uses hormones, estrogens and progestins to shut off the release of eggs to prevent pregnancy. The same idea is applied to men's contraceptives: hormones, such as testosterone and progestins, are used to turn off the production of sperm.

Other options are being researched that would avoid altering hormones, which has been shown to have some negative side-effects. New research at Northfolk State University is being done that would disable the sperm in finding the egg.

Joseph Hall, Ph.D of the NSU Center for Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences, told an Indiana newspaper that his group is working to create a safer form of birth control for men.

"Basically, what we are trying to do, create, is a blind sperm; a sperm that can't recognize the egg," he told the newspaper.

However, this approach to male birth control is still in the research stages, and has a 92-percent effective rate on rats, and a 98-percent effective rate in petri dishes. The scientists at Northfolk went back to the drawing board, aiming to find the key to creating a birth control with 100-percent effectiveness.

Some men are pleased to hear the decision about birth control will be left up to them.

"You got the assurance," said John Jarman, a Weber State University criminal justice freshman, "The girl might lie to you about being on birth control."

Jesse Burg, a criminal justice senior, said he wouldn't mind taking male birth control.

"You don't have to worry about a condom," he said. He also said that he wouldn't feel uncomfortable with the pill altering his hormones unless it was permanent.

The men's hormone birth control, however, does not have the same effectiveness of the pill women have been using for years. It has only been proven to be 98-percent effective, where the women's pill is 99.9-percent effective.

Eddie Plenty, a WSU senior, said he wouldn't mind taking birth-control pills. He said the 98-percent rate would not affect his decision to take male birth control if it became available.

"Nothing is ever going to be 100 percent," he said, "There's always going to be that chance."

PregoDiana
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 1:17 AM
Wow! Thank you for sharing! =)
Quoting tanya_marieh:

This is what I have found and it sounds like it is STILL in research.

In 1960, women were given "the pill." It changed women's sexuality and allowed for women's liberation movements. Now, ore than 40 years later, men may be given their turn.

Since women have had the pill available to them, they have seen many other forms of birth control options pop up for them, including an injection, a ring and a patch. Men, all through this time, have had two options: a condom or a vasectomy. Both have received less-than-positive attention; condoms for being uncomfortable and a vasectomy for being too painful.

Now, after 40 years, scientists may have a legitimate birth control pill for men. The pill works similarly to the women's pill.

The female contraceptive uses hormones, estrogens and progestins to shut off the release of eggs to prevent pregnancy. The same idea is applied to men's contraceptives: hormones, such as testosterone and progestins, are used to turn off the production of sperm.

Other options are being researched that would avoid altering hormones, which has been shown to have some negative side-effects. New research at Northfolk State University is being done that would disable the sperm in finding the egg.

Joseph Hall, Ph.D of the NSU Center for Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences, told an Indiana newspaper that his group is working to create a safer form of birth control for men.

"Basically, what we are trying to do, create, is a blind sperm; a sperm that can't recognize the egg," he told the newspaper.

However, this approach to male birth control is still in the research stages, and has a 92-percent effective rate on rats, and a 98-percent effective rate in petri dishes. The scientists at Northfolk went back to the drawing board, aiming to find the key to creating a birth control with 100-percent effectiveness.

Some men are pleased to hear the decision about birth control will be left up to them.

"You got the assurance," said John Jarman, a Weber State University criminal justice freshman, "The girl might lie to you about being on birth control."

Jesse Burg, a criminal justice senior, said he wouldn't mind taking male birth control.

"You don't have to worry about a condom," he said. He also said that he wouldn't feel uncomfortable with the pill altering his hormones unless it was permanent.

The men's hormone birth control, however, does not have the same effectiveness of the pill women have been using for years. It has only been proven to be 98-percent effective, where the women's pill is 99.9-percent effective.

Eddie Plenty, a WSU senior, said he wouldn't mind taking birth-control pills. He said the 98-percent rate would not affect his decision to take male birth control if it became available.

"Nothing is ever going to be 100 percent," he said, "There's always going to be that chance."

sarah_ray06
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Yes I know. I have Mirena and I have heard that a few women dont like it b/c of that very reason!Crazy.

But I think it would be a dream come true for us women not having to worry about birth control

Quoting PregoDiana:

yeah, Im sure! lol, there is always controversy about EVERYTHING!  Some are against BC for woman for the same reason!  silly IMO.  not every sperm was meant to create a life!  We would all have BILLIONS of kids if that were the case!  =P

Quoting sarah_ray06:

troykiss
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM

It has been invented...look under male chastity device.   The company across the street from my employer invented and makes them.  I comes with a key and only the holder of the key can take it off.  It is clear plastic shaped like the penis and when locked on (air pocket type) it can only be removed by keyholder.  They can urinate but cannot experience erection.  I have seen it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)