Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hourglass Shape the new Overweight? (long-be warned)

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

Normally when I see a silly headline to an article I do not take the time to read it. But this morning, with nothing better to do and needing a little inane to wake me up I happened to read this article in question. Halfway through, trying to shake the steam coming from my ears I came to the conclusion that the whole world is ridiculous! To read the article I am speaking about, follow this link.

http://www.aolhealth.com/healthy-living/beauty-skin-care/perfect-woman-body-type?icid=main|hp-desktop|dl7|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2Fhealthy-living%2Fbeauty-skin-care%2Fperfect-woman-body-type

There has been so much buzz on the perfect body. How to stay UBER-thin in this fat, fat world. Try this diet that cleanses your body, has it running to the bathroom every five minutes. Accidents DO occur people but all in the name of beauty. And who cares that you have have rid your body of healthy vitamins, be malnourished and can barely stand because the room spins as your hunger grows. It's all worth it to be a size 0 right?
Since when did being healthy get blown so out of proportion that they are not allocating a figure that is the healthiest? Did we take genetics out of the equation? Some people CANNOT be a size 0, they can not be a "rectangle" figure. Oh, and I have to mention I truly take offense to Keira Knightly being called a rectangle. That's not the word I would have used... Something more... twiggy comes to mind. No offense to those who share  her body type, she is very thin though.
I am so upset about these articles, PEOPLE Magazine featured in their (next to) last issue a "then and now" article with several Starlet/Models being compared to their emaciated selves from years ago. They looked healthy and still thin in their NOW pictures but the way the article phrased it, they might as well have been 60 overweight. If emaciated is what we're shooting for, let's all jump on the no food bandwagon and start starving ourselves. Or pooping our brains out with these crazy diets. Funny how in this new "fat vs. thin" world, being healthy means using very UN-healthy diets and exercise.
You might think that this is just a rant, and it is, in a way. But it's also going to serve a purpose, I hope. What if... every time you saw an article posted on a website, or read it in a magazine you took the steps to contact the publisher and explain how irritated it made you. Somewhere out there is a Doctor who truly knows what is healthy for people. Or let's imagine WE even know what makes us healthy, that is a thought. If all of us did something about these insane articles that keep being published, maybe the world would see that we're not just a bunch of "fatties." We are intelligent, HEALTHY women who do not want to be a "rectangle" shape. Perhaps if we all took steps to let them know how upset it made us, maybe they'd stop publishing so many? It's worth it because I don't want my kids to grow up thinking they have to starve themselves to be as skinny as the girl next to her.
It's irritating to see articles like this because I remember reading an interview with Keira Knightly where she specifically said that she is GENETICALLY skinny and DOES NOT have a problem gaining/losing weight. That is not true with most women. In my family, being 100 lbs overweight is genetic. I have an Aunt who maxes out at 500lbs. It's not healthy, not one bit. But given my family history, I'll never be the coveted size 0, neither will my children. So the steps I would have to take to attain that size would kill me. Is that what I want to teach my children? To be SO healthy you have to nearly kill yourself?
Give me your thoughts or insight to this matter but I truly think it needs our attention. We need to come together and get more proactive about this. So join me and help me to think of ways that we can intelligently end this FAT problem!

GlitterAmberCatchyCreationbyAmy.gif picture by preemiemommy
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LoveMyBugs
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM

bump

GlitterAmberCatchyCreationbyAmy.gif picture by preemiemommy
orange4agua72
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I didn't read too much of the post (sorry, just being honest), but what I've heard is NOT healthy is the fat in your waist area. Carrying extra weight in other places , such as having an hourglass figure, is COMPLETELY fine. I personally look SICKLY beyond belief at any weight under 135lbs. And I'm only 5'4", so I'm not even suppost to weight that much!!! But I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's just the media trying to scare us into believing that being SUPER skinny is SOOOO cool!!! It's NOT, I love my butt and my boobs and my hips!!!!

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. Psalm 139:13-14

c_disario
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 12:46 PM

sorry hun, I didnt read all of what your sayn but all I have to say is that hourglass shapped women get preggo more often cause men like hourglass shape.. I have an hourglass shape and I swear I get the scum stuck to the bottem of my shoes tryn to get them off... sooo fn anoying... (well now my body is a big blob.. thats what being preggo does to you) but I dont belive any of that bs!

Kayci9
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 12:54 PM

That is rediculous! I have an hourglass figure and that is never gonna change. I have what my mom always called child bearing hips and i'm proud of it. My SO says thats why he was first attracted to me and that women who have the bodies of 12 year old boys arn't his forte (no offense to anyone) Anyway there is a huge difference between emancipated healthy and overweight and so long as you keep yourself and your children healthy don't let any articles or magazines make you feel as though they need to live up to some rediculous standards.

koibaby
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I'm with you girl! I have been a smaller size, then a larger size, and now a smaller size again. My particular body type is petite, however I have small bones, small stature. People should be happy being what they are. If you are a plus size, eat healthy, get a regular amount of exersise, why shouldn't you be proud of yourself?  It's not necessarily how much you weigh (to a certain extent) but what you do with yourself. Some people are naturally bigger, and that's just fine, but be healthy. Be proud of who you are, being sexy is not just on the outside! Advertising is a campaign to get people to like your product, believe they're in it just for you etc etc, like a presidential election, it doesn't mean you have to. Superficial. Honestly, look at the paths of some of these celebrity skinnies......I'd take my life over theirs ANY DAY!!  Hourglass comes in many sizes, it's classic feminine,  Look at paintings from the renecsaince (bad spelling I know), they are hourglass, but they are plump, those women had some substance! Marilyn Monroe was not a size 0 !  Old pinups were not size 0, they were real women!  Appox on those skinnies.....be yourself, and love it!!!

c_disario
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 1:38 PM
amen thats what I call them too! and its only human nature that men find women who can bear children attractive.. go momma!
Quoting Kayci9:

That is rediculous! I have an hourglass figure and that is never gonna change. I have what my mom always called child bearing hips and i'm proud of it. My SO says thats why he was first attracted to me and that women who have the bodies of 12 year old boys arn't his forte (no offense to anyone) Anyway there is a huge difference between emancipated healthy and overweight and so long as you keep yourself and your children healthy don't let any articles or magazines make you feel as though they need to live up to some rediculous standards.

southernjess3
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 2:05 PM

my ex boyfriend used to say that i had a body like a coke bottle...lol...he thought it was the most amazing thing.. i have hips-the ones that bear children so well..there there. not going away so im learning to like them..i just want to say that curvy and big women are beutiful..theres no point in wearing clothes if ya dont fill them out!!

Janis198
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM

My husband says women who have no curves look like men and he doesn't find that attractive at all, lol

My hips are 12 inches bigger then my waist, even when I got really thin, the smallest my pant size could go was a 4, and that hurt my hip bones having the jeans rub on them.

Janis mommy to 5 great kids

bouncing momfamily in the van

lyndonsmom
by on Mar. 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I think as long as your BMI stays within the healthy range you are fine.  They to research like that for a reason.  I don't think its healthy for women to be certain sizes or to have too much body fat.  I don't look at a bigger woman and say she is ugly I just think its unhealthy.  I am trying to get healthy again I have too much fat for me IMO, I don't eat or feel healthy so I need a change.

I don't think there is a specific body shape that is better than the other, you can't change the shape of yourself without a little nip tuck.  Like I said I just think everyone should strive to be healthy and if they are then who cares?  Being stick thin is def not the way to go either that is DISGUSTING!  Seeing peoples ribs and hip bones YUCK!  They look like they are on crack!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ToddlerDiscipline

Come join my group to get or give advice for toddler Discipline

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured