Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Thank You Gift For Hospital Staff?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

For those of you who have sent thank-you gifts to the staff at the NBICU, or who work in highly sensitive areas of a hospital: what is an appropriate item to send? My daughter recently spent her first 2 1/2 weeks in the NBICU at the U of U hospital here in Utah. The nurses were amazing, they really were, and I was very happy with how she was taken care of.

I want to send something as a thank you to all those hardworking men and women who spend their days taking care of the most fragile of our species, and especially of my own daughter who had a partially collapsed lung when she was life flown into their hands. My problem is, I don't know what would and would not be safe.

For instance, would flowers be OK, or would the risk of allergy being carried into the stable environment with the babies on nurses clothes make it a no-no? Is a card enough, with a picture of my daughter? Could I maybe send some mini-muffins to sit on the front desk (lol)? How about a teddy bear with a card and picture, so that the bear can maybe be donated or something similar?

What do you think would be safest, while still showing that I am truly grateful for their effort and care?

Oh, and just so you know, there is one nurse to every two babies. They work 3 12 hour shifts a week with the infants, and switch off every week, sometimes rounding back, sometimes not, so this would be for a number of nurses, as well as the NNP's, the receptionists, the neonatologists, and the wonderful volunteers who go up to hold and feed the babies during the nurses chart times.

UPDATE:

OK, so I was looking at gift basket prices, and OH MAMA! About $100.00 including shipping for a large fruit and candy basket. So what I am thinking I am going to do is my hubby and I will be creating out own gift basket to say thanks, with fruit, wrapped candies, and other little treats. That way we can save money, but still offer something larger then what we could get online. We are also going to put together a large card with Eli's picture, and her handprint, with a thank you note. Then we can just deliver it ourselves.

Thank you for all the tips, you mamas have been a huge help!

by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mymaddiegrl2
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM

do one of those edible arrangements. nurses are so busy and dont have  lot of time to  snack well. that would be a really good  gift.

QTMakaylasMom
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I would say maybe some food...they work long hours and would probably appreciate it if a meal was provided for them..like pizza or sandwiches or something like that.

smilingmomma
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 4:04 PM

i agree send food lol

clwlockey
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM
Quoting mymaddiegrl2:

do one of those edible arrangements. nurses are so busy and dont have  lot of time to  snack well. that would be a really good  gift.

this is what i was gonna say! i iwish i would have thought about it when my baby boy got released from the NICU... i just sent a card with his Christmas picture... i'm sure any thank you touches them and makes them feel important!

Celeste825
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Exactly what I was thinking

Quoting mymaddiegrl2:

do one of those edible arrangements. nurses are so busy and dont have lot of time to snack well. that would be a really good gift.

just_an_oli
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Thank you, everyone! I was debating whether to send food, and now that I know it would be appropriate, I am going to look at some of my options. Anyone know good delivery sites that do edible arrangements for a decent price?

Momofone87
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM

My son was in the NICU for the first 8 days. He kept having brady's and desats (heart rate would plummet, blood oxygen levels would drop).

ANYWAY, the staff was FANTASTIC. They were hugely helpful and supportive and comforting. I literally LIVED there for 8 days- they had a live-in area for moms. 

I wrote thank you notes, one to all the staff and one to the coordinator who made sure I always had somewhere to sleep (one night I had to stay in a supply closet on a cot, but I was happy because I didn't want to have to go home).

I also donated ALL my son's preemie and newborn clothes to the NICU. When he'd been in there, they had REAL non-hospital baby clothes, and for some reason it was really nice to see him in them while he was sick. So I wanted to help them out  by giving them his clothes. They really appreciated it!

just_an_oli
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 4:17 PM

That is such a great idea! I think I might do this myself, once my daughter has grown. When I was up there, I had a hard time finding the right sized clothes in their storage room for my daughter (she was full term when born, and 8 lbs. 7 oz.), since everything was premie, and I know she won't be the last non-premie on the ward.

Quoting Momofone87:

My son was in the NICU for the first 8 days. He kept having brady's and desats (heart rate would plummet, blood oxygen levels would drop).

ANYWAY, the staff was FANTASTIC. They were hugely helpful and supportive and comforting. I literally LIVED there for 8 days- they had a live-in area for moms. 

I wrote thank you notes, one to all the staff and one to the coordinator who made sure I always had somewhere to sleep (one night I had to stay in a supply closet on a cot, but I was happy because I didn't want to have to go home).

I also donated ALL my son's preemie and newborn clothes to the NICU. When he'd been in there, they had REAL non-hospital baby clothes, and for some reason it was really nice to see him in them while he was sick. So I wanted to help them out  by giving them his clothes. They really appreciated it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)