Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

prescription drug cost = INSANE !

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:11 AM
  • 7 Replies

Sooo I went to walmart yesterday to drop of a rx for DS for some allergy meds and a new antibiotic .. well noone in town had the antibiotic ( Zyvox ) so they had to order it for him. Well I go to get the allergy meds and she tells me to call today to make sure it came in & to make sure his insurance authorized it cause it was kinda expensive. So I call today and they tell me to come get it and that it was authorized, I go pick it up and THANK GOODNESS he has insurance that pays for rx because for a 14day cycle of antibitocs it would have cost $854.36..I just cant believe that, I mean what if he had no insurance and I couldnt afford that ( FYI , I couldnt afford it ! ) I mean without it, he'd be back in the hospital .. sorry , felt the need to vent !!!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Rachie7987
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Holy crap! That is insane! I can't believe they can even charge that much.

ryansmommy1128
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Quoting Rachie7987:

Holy crap! That is insane! I can't believe they can even charge that much.

I know ! you'd think there would be a limit or something, I mean it's an antibiotic ..not some super rare disease medicine or something, he's using it for a sinus infection!!!

mom2ljh
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Prescription drugs are CRAZY.  My son was on Zantac for 10 months.  Well, he was on the generic, but same thing.  It cost us $3/month out of pocket, but the insurance got billed $90, and I thought THAT was crazy.  I'm glad you have insurance.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM

The costs do seem crazy, but I also think that pharmaceutical companies get a bad rap.  It costs ridiculous amounts of money to R and D these drugs.  Way back in 2001 it cost something like 800 million PLUS to get a drug on the market.  That's one drug.  That doesn't include things like marketing, which also costs the companies money.  If a drug costs that much to create...it's going to be expensive to purchase.  SOmewhere along the line the company has to turn the profit so they can create more products....

mrssundin
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:47 AM

my daughter had to get the rsv shot her first two years of life and that shot alone cost 1500 and you have to get it every month.  good thing we had insurance at the time that picked up the bill.

3timesoccermom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:07 AM

If someone couldn't afford one they could let the doctor know and they'd write you a prescription for something cheaper.  There are usually several different antibiotics that will serve the same purpose.  Some are only $4 at WM now.

Was it a generic?  If not, ask your doctor to always allow generics. 

One more thing, I always ask for samples but I think our doctor's offices just discontinued this practice.  The reason I ask is that sometimes you go buy the prescription and find out you can't take it for whatever reason.  At least with samples you haven't shelled out any cash.

5ontherock
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:05 AM

thats a newer drug. alot of doctors like to try them out and write them for everything. with antibiotics there are plenty to choose from depending on what he is taking it for.

my insurence wouldnt cover my allergy nasal spray. 253.00 i had to pass. they only cover a different allergy nasal spray. who they hell are they to tell me WHICH drugs i can take. i have been taking nasonex for 6 years. i love it. it works. but now i cant have it anymore!

jamie~ wife to Greg ,mom to jonathan 14, Ethan 3.5 and Rhiannon 2.

Medical Scientist on the night shift~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)