Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This economy is killing us here....

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

My husband got laid off in nov.. from a job of 6 yrs.. we are on unemployment but its not helping at all!!! Theres no jobs where i live (reno nv), and its getting stressful, hes gone to a few interviews and doesnt get the job because there so many people going for that ONE job.. i feel like im gonna explode!! we have a 2 yr old boy and a 5 month old girl, and we are living with his parents in a 3 bedroom apt.. us and the kids have to share a room, and i just feel like it not fair to them :( Id give anything for a better economy right now, some some jobs.. for at least a LITTLE bit of hope for us.. we have even been discussing maybe national guard or air force.. THATS how bad its getting.frustrated

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WilliamsMama08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:47 AM

SO just rejoined the military for this reason.  Marine, now National Guard.

Torienslilmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM

this thought scares me....he would be gone for so long :( but i know its stability... GOOD stability

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

WilliamsMama08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Not necessarily, really depends on the job and active vs. nonactive.  It does  scare me a little, but I know he is doing what he feels best for our family.

Quoting Torienslilmama:

this thought scares me....he would be gone for so long :( but i know its stability... GOOD stability

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

Torienslilmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:59 AM

what is the diffrence

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

Not necessarily, really depends on the job and active vs. nonactive.  It does  scare me a little, but I know he is doing what he feels best for our family.

Quoting Torienslilmama:

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:00 AM

mama i feel your pain 

Stephanie a non vaxxing/cloth diapering/full term breastfeeding sahm who is wanting another but waiting/WoW addicted momma to a 2yr old princess
5ontherock
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:01 AM

my husband cant find work either. 37,000 for his degree adn its worthless. i am supporting us. he drives pizzas 4 nightsa week. enough for grocery money. cant complain. but i was pushing him to go navy for awhile. hey its a job with benefits and everythig. he just cant stomach the thought of being away from the kids.

so we will be moving. he is heading down to portland where they are hiring police officers in june. i can get a job anywhere since my career is so in demand (best choice i ever made!)

but it sucks. making the kind of money i make and we are still just squeaking by. too many bills. too many kids. and the little rats are addicted to eating. i fed them a few times and now they expect it on a regular basis/

i sure hope something turns up for yall. i know alot of people who are facing the same problems and it just breaks my heart. good people who want to work and supoort thier familes and they cant. its just wrong.

jamie~ wife to Greg ,mom to jonathan 14, Ethan 3.5 and Rhiannon 2.

Medical Scientist on the night shift~
eyegirl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:04 AM

I feel for you, My DH was laid off in Dec. 2007. I had to quit my job because of complications from pregnancy and still unable to return to work. We have a 17 month old, a 13 yr old and a 20yr old who is disabled. DH has been looking found a part time job but it only lasted a couple months. He is still getting unemployment. He is too old and has health problems or he'd be joining up as well.

PrayzAlphaOmega
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:13 AM

In this economy the A.F. is actually not a bad option.  My DH is in and I just got out in May08 before having my son in June.  It just sucks because deployments are very real right now.  My Dh just barely made it back in time to see my DS be born.  Deployments was the reason that I got out.  I didn't want both myself and my DH to be deploying and leaving our baby.  So I would suggest that only one of you join the military.  I could never leave my child for an extended period of time.  I probably would've gone AWOL, seriously. 

chel1195
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:21 AM

I'm not getting why you are looking down on the military.  It isn't a bad job to have.  My DH is working and willbe for at least 6 more years.  It is honorable work and steady.  He can apply his training into the civilian world if he ever decides too and can have his college education paid for by the Army.  We have health ins and are not having to worry about living with parents to survive.  Don't down it just because it scares you.  The unknown is always scary.  Take the time to look into before sweeping it aside.

Torienslilmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:36 AM

its not so much the military im afraid of, its the thought of him leaving for long periods of time, and me being left alone. i dont know if i could handle that to well. and deployment would suck so bad.

Quoting chel1195:

I'm not getting why you are looking down on the military.  It isn't a bad job to have.  My DH is working and willbe for at least 6 more years.  It is honorable work and steady.  He can apply his training into the civilian world if he ever decides too and can have his college education paid for by the Army.  We have health ins and are not having to worry about living with parents to survive.  Don't down it just because it scares you.  The unknown is always scary.  Take the time to look into before sweeping it aside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)