• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help .. my son hasn't pooped in over 24 hours(piog)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:11 AM
  • 23 Replies

It's 4:06 in the morning and my son hasn't pooped since midnight the night before. He spent all day yesterday fussing and crying. He was in a lot of pain. He tried to, he just couldn't. I was wondering if there is anything I can do or give him to help him poop? Thanks(BTW, he is 3 months old)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lindz221
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM

Well, with my son, the doctor told us to give him water and Karo syrup.  The light kind.  Even then, he still didn't poop regularly.  Sometimes it just takes a little bit.  Are you formula or breast feeding?  You may want to ask the doctor if you should switch to a new formula, if you're formula feeding.  Our doctor also told us to add a little more water than formula to his bottle.  So, for 4oz, we would give him a scoop and 3/4 scoop of formula, so that there was a little more water in there.  He'll be ok, but if it goes on for 2 days, definitely call your doctor!  Good luck mama!!

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

pamkay414
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:16 AM

If you are breastfeeding you also need to make sure he isn't dehydrated.  He may not be getting enough milk if you are BF.  That happened to my son when he was about a week old.  They gave him a glycerin suppository.  Call the doc in the a.m.

london114
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:35 AM

My daughter had the same problem when she was a month old.  I tried the karo syrup and I don't think it worked.  I read to give her prune juice.  I tried it. It worked.  I started by giving her baby food prunes and a little water.  THen when I went to her dr.  he told me to just give her straight prune juice.  He said that the sugars were ok for her.  He had me start by giving her 1 oz a day.  She is still getting it and she likes it.  Someone had given me a little medicine bottle for a shower gift and that is what I give it to her in.  Also dr.  will tell you that they don't need to poop every day.  They can go 1 or 2 days with out pooping.  That is fine with me, but the dr.  aren't there to hear them cry in pain.  Becarefull with the suppositories as they can become habit forming.  Hope this helps.

Carla

pamkay414
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I wouldn't give my baby a suppository because of it being habit forming but the ped was the one who did when I brought him there when he was not even a week old.  That was all it took and once I started supplementing with formula and not just breast he started pooping regularly.  He was dehydrated and that was why he was constipated, sadly.  I didn't make enough milk for him.  He was happy as long as he was suckling.  I was too but he lost a lot of weight. 

MamaStone2
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 11:51 PM

When my daughter was about 2 months old, I stopped breastfeeding and went to formula. And she would go a full week at a time without pooping, I called her doctor they switched the formula 2 times, but still nothing. I finally got fed up and took her to the ER they did xrays making sure that there wasn't anything in her intestines blocking them, but it was okay, the ER doctor finally figured out that she was lactose intolerant, she was put on soy formula and she is now 8 months old, and a poopin baby, LoL. She gets constipated every now and then but nothing that baby food prunes or prune juice won't fix. I try to give her prunes on a regular basis, just to keep things going smoothly.

lynda0322
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I went through this with both of my daughters for quite some time. I tried karo syrup, extra water in the formula and the prune juice. In the end I had to change thier formula's to soy. The regular iron fortified formula was doing it to them. Just watch the baby and if this keeps happening talk to the doctor. I do not recomend suppositories. The really are more trouble than they are worth.

ShadowRaven
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 9:34 AM

A baby is actually capable of going for 3 days without pooping before it's actually considered constipation. If you're really concerned about it and he seems in pain, give him 1-2 tsp of Karo brand light corn syrup mixed in 3 ounces of water. Or if he's on formula, you can just mix it in with that.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Krysta622
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 9:39 AM

If the baby is EBF, it is completely normal and safe to go up to 10 days without pooping.  As long as the end result is not dry, hard or pellet like. 

Formula fed, I don't know as much.  I do know that it is not considered constipation just because it's been 24 hrs.  When he goes, if it's not dry hard, or pellet/pebble like, then he is not constipated.

Karo is not recommended for infants, it even says so on their website.  It carries a slight risk for botulisum poisioning, like honey does.

Corona421
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 9:42 AM

When my neice was four months she became constipated and when i called the doctor to find out what to do he told me to put the tip (only the tip) of my pinky in her. i was really grossed out by this but i did it and in the matter of a half hour she filled her diaper.

mamom128
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 11:12 AM

my dd went through this and my midwife and her doctor both told my to try massaging her tummy in a clockwise circular motion starting at the belly button and ending at the left hip. Clockwise is the way in which the colon moves so this helps to get it going. also try pulling his knees into his stomach gently but firm you can do this move one at a time like a bicycle motion or both together. another thing you can try is a little water down prune juice in his bottle or a little kyro syrup in the formula. I had to use all of these things a couple of times and they really do work. Best of luck 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)