Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Age Gap Siblings...just wondering

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:20 AM
  • 13 Replies

My oldest  is 7. (shes turning 8 when the babys coming) Im going to have another baby in June. There will be an 8 year age gap. What do you guys  think of an age gap of 8 years? is it too much time or too little time...im just curious no bashing plz

mommy.gif mommy image by angiebabie421

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DarciMykell
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM

My kids are all less than 2 yrs apart so I cant really help you.  So heres a bump for you. 

Hondagirlracr
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:07 AM

My son will be turning 16 this year and my youngest will be turning two. I also have a daughter who will be 13 this month. How's that for an age gap? I had my oldest two when I was young. I divorced and met a really great man. After 7 years together, we had a baby. But I'm done having kids now. Had my tubes tied.

rosieday
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:09 AM

I have sister and brothers who range from a 2 yr to 11 year age differences. While growing up, I was closest to the ones nearer my age. But as I got older I'm closer to the sister who is 9 years older than me!  So I think  there is the possibility that yours can be very close at some point in their lives. Good luck!

April

Tatertot3
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Im 25 and my little sister is 9 almost 10. I have 5 siblings in between us I found that in the beginning me and my brother who are 2 years apart got along great but as we got older and the new siblings came I grew closer to the baby of the family. Its the same way to this day could be that he lives in Arizona and we live in Pennsylvania though lol.  

eseekings
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM

My mom and dad had me and my sister (2 1/2 year age difference). My dad passed away when I was 5. My mom remarried and had my brother when I was 15 and my youngest sister when I was 17. I don't think an 8 year difference is a big deal. Plus, you'll have yourself a little helper.

lovingmy3babies
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:15 AM

My first 2 are 7 years apart. The 2nd and 3rd are 19 months apart. I'm not really sure which age gap I like better. They all fight. My 11 yo daughter fights with both the 4 yo daughter and 2 yo son. The 4 yo and 2 yo fight. Both of my girls have said they wish they didn't have a brother or sister. But there is definitely a stronger bond between my 2 youngest.

lcbowman
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:19 AM

There is 6 years between my sister and I.  We are the only two.  While we were not close growing up as adults we are good friends.   

army_wife2000
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I have a 17 year old, a 14 year old and a 3 1/2 year old.  They love him so very much.  The older ones are very close but do bicker and argue alot but I don't think that is uncommon.   Don't worry about the gap, you have no control over it anyway.  Good luck and God Bless. 

squidsmommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:31 AM

I was the youngest until I was 11. I have an older brother who used to fight with me like an older brother does. When I was 11, my mom and step father had a boy and when I was 13, my sister was born. I think the bond has to do with how the older one/s feel about babies. I have always been exceptionally close to my brother and sister, but our older brother hasn't been as close. He never had a problem with them or anything, but he lived with our dad, so was only over every other weekend. I was a little mom since the day they were born. They know that I love them like a mom loves her children. I was always there to baby sit and never complained about it. Now they're 18 and 19 and they're still my babies. I wouldn't change the age difference for the world

bnasmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:35 AM

My sister and I are 6 years apart and we are BEST friends.  My kids are 4 years apart, but I can't tell you if they are close...the baby is only 5 months.  I see the advantages and disadvantages of having an age gap. I have a friend that just had a baby in December and her daughter is 9, she says it is nice to have the help, but even bigger kids get jealous! You are doing what works in your family.  I don't think that having them closer together or farther apart will guarentee they will be close! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)