Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Take a deep breath every morning and keep babysitting cause you need the $$ and she needs the job..

Tell her you will keep watching the kids till summer, but once your son is out of school for the summer you won't be able to handle it.

Or say sorry, but you have to call it quits now..You just cant handle it any more

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 6

View Results

I honestly don't know how much longer I can keep this up...Lee ( who is 7 years old) is getting harder and harder to deal with every day. I'm to the point that I don't even want to see the kid anymore.

Yesterday he threw a fit that I wouldn't give him his toy...OK, wait...before I get bashed and told I should have just given it to him....Here is what happened.

He came over, as always after he got home from school, and he had a toy...Some kind of Ben 10 thing I think...Anyways, when you put water in his back it shoots out this black goo. I told him he could play with it, but not to put the water in because I didn't wasn't the goo all over the place.  Well, he snuck in some water anyways...and I had this sticky goo all over the place. So I took the toy away and made him clean up the mess.  There wasn't really a fit till his mom got here a few hours later.

When his mom got here...The first thing he did was get his toy  out of his book bag and run to the bathroom for water...so I followed him in, took the toy away and gave it to his mom. (and I told her not to let him bring it over anymore because it was just to much mess)  She said OK, but the whole time after I took it away, Lee was screaming and crying at the top of his lungs to give back his toy. His mom said he could have it when they got home...and he threw a even bigger fit telling her to give it to him, he hates her, he hates me..and so on and so on.

Then on his way out the door he punched me in the stomach (hard) Kicked his mom and almost pushed my son Corey (who is 5 years old) down the stairs. I caught him...(Thank God)...Then when he got down stairs to the glass door that leads into the apartment building..He kicked out a pane of glass.  I really hope that no one saw that because, if they did and they report it to the landlord...I have to pay for it to be fixed, and I just don't have any extra money laying around.

The whole problem I think is that Lee is autistic, and his mom uses that as an excuse not to punnish him. She was actually trying to tell him to calm down and they would go to Dairy Queen for Ice Cream...He dont need  Ice Cream, If you ask me he needs a good solid whoopin on his ass..My son would never get away with that.

The kid has no manners at all, and this is not the first time he has tried to hurt my son. He has tried to choke him, he has hit kicked, hit and bit him...and I am just really tired of it all...I'm afraid that one day he will hurt my son and I will flip out on his little ass and really hurt him.

I feel bad for his mom tho..she is a single mom, both her kids are autistic...The dad is no where to be found...an she deals with this day after day. I don't know how she does it. She just got a really good job working for Nestle...and I know she needs to keep it.

She told me that all her other babysitters have quit on her because of Lee..I hate to do the same..but I really am just at my wits end with the kid.

I thought about trying to hold on till summer..since right now the kids are in school, and I only have him a few hours a day..I don't think I can handle him for 12 hours a day..I'd go nutts for sure..lol

Right now I watch him about 6 hours...from 11 to 5 or 5:30. His brother Jerred is 3 and gets here at 7:30. He is a real sweetheart tho..I never have any problems with him..lol

A MOTHERS WORK IS NEVER DONE....

sweepingironingwashing dishesapron

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
iheartmygrls
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:57 AM
I would not call it quits right away - but I would definitely let the mom know that she will have to pay for the damage her son causes to you house, as well as the fact that it is beyond unacceptable for her son to be physically violent/abusive to you or your children and that if it happens again you will be unable to watch him anymore. She needs to be held responsible for that child - regardless of what problems he has. There are state programs available to help these children when their parents can't afford it. It may not be #1 care - but it has to be better than no care for him.

Good Luck.

Wiifeytype1025
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:00 AM

She should put him in a daycare where there are teachers to deal with him and can help him... tell her youll watch them until she can do that or youll continue to watch the little one but not him, but youll cover til she can find a daycare with openings

PrttyMstng
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I've been reading a lot about autism. Acting out the way this child does is not a sign of autism. The mother offering him ice cream is rewarding him for his behavior which only reinforces the behavior.

I'm sorry but I keep reading too many stories about children's behavior and having it being labeled as some kind of disorder. I wonder if some of it is really the parents lack of parenting skills.

MommyBear2003
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Quoting PrttyMstng:

I've been reading a lot about autism. Acting out the way this child does is not a sign of autism. The mother offering him ice cream is rewarding him for his behavior which only reinforces the behavior.

I'm sorry but I keep reading too many stories about children's behavior and having it being labeled as some kind of disorder. I wonder if some of it is really the parents lack of parenting skills.

I totally agree, the kid knows right from wrong...when mom isn't here..he knows the rules of the house and follows them...pretty good. Its just when his mom gets here..he acts out that way..because he can get away with it, and because he knows he will get some kind of extra treat..its stupid..I hate to see him when he is older...he is gonna get in a lot of trouble, and when it comes time to deal with the consequences..mommy wont be able to save the day with ice cream..

tiffanysgirls
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:36 AM
Sounds like a handful. I don't think I would continue watching the child anymore. I think his mother needs to place him in a daycare that specializes in teaching autistic children. Especially if she blames his bahavior on his disability. You can always find another child to sit for.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)