• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mp3 players

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

My oldest is turning 11 in 11 days, she has asked for a mp3 player, I have looked it up on the net and it said mp3 players and ipods are the same thing, but you are paying more for just the name for the ipod. any way. I have never even held one before, so I know nothing about them, I looked them up on e-bay, but don't know what kind to buy.

who has mp3 players? and where did you get them? and how much did you pay? and do you like the one you got?

Janis mommy to 5 great kids

bouncing momfamily in the van

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squidsmommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:08 AM

My SO has an mp3 (it was given to us) and has worked just fine for him. I don't know the difference because I'm not a music person, but I would say for an 11 yo, an mp3 would be fine.

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:24 AM

My first mp3 player was a Creative Zen.  It was about $80.  Now I have an iPod Touch and LOOOOVE it.  As far as buying into the name with iPods, it's not true.  They have good warranties, good customer service, plenty of info on their products (on the apple website) and they're easy to use.  I figured mine out really easy.  They're also good little pieces of equipment, they last for a long time, so you definitely get your moneys worth.

I'm not saying you have to buy an iPod, but they're not just buying the brand.  The Creative Zen was also great.  I was told that if I don't go with iPod (then) then Creative is the next best thing and more affordable.

~Jill~

Janis198
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Quoting jillbailey26:

My first mp3 player was a Creative Zen.  It was about $80.  Now I have an iPod Touch and LOOOOVE it.  As far as buying into the name with iPods, it's not true.  They have good warranties, good customer service, plenty of info on their products (on the apple website) and they're easy to use.  I figured mine out really easy.  They're also good little pieces of equipment, they last for a long time, so you definitely get your moneys worth.

I'm not saying you have to buy an iPod, but they're not just buying the brand.  The Creative Zen was also great.  I was told that if I don't go with iPod (then) then Creative is the next best thing and more affordable.

Thank you. 

What about the GB? I see all different numbers, what is a good one? I understand the bigger the # the better it is, right? but are the 2 gb and 4 gb any good then?

canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I have an ipod, I love mine! I got my 9 y/o a mp3 it was just a cheap one like $20 at toys r us. I want to know that she will take care of it before we go into big bucks. She loves it. The higher the gb the more songs it holds. Mine is an 8 and Its still not full my kid has a 2 and hers isnt full either.

Janis198
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Quoting canthaveboys1:

I have an ipod, I love mine! I got my 9 y/o a mp3 it was just a cheap one like $20 at toys r us. I want to know that she will take care of it before we go into big bucks. She loves it. The higher the gb the more songs it holds. 

Oh, thanks, I wasn't sure what gb was for.

I will go to toys r us. I  think I will take her with me, so that way I am not getting the wrong one, LOL

tiffanysgirls
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM
Ipods have nice fancy set ups and extras you don't really need. I have a few Ipods, a sansdisk (pain in the butt for managing your playlists), and a creative zen. I recommend the creative zen for your daughter. You definitely don't want to pay the money for an 11 year old to have an Ipod that could very easily be lost, stolen, or damaged. The bigger the Gigs the more stuff you can hold on it. So, if you plan to put movies on your player....then you definitely want a lot of gigs. If you plan to only put music on it then you will be fine with a smaller Gig. Or you could go with the Ipod shuffle if it is music only! My 6 and 4 yearold have the Ipod shuffle (not the new shuffle the older one) which is pretty cheap ($50) and basic. It has 2 gigs and holds 500 songs....that is more than they will ever need.
Janis198
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Quoting tiffanysgirls:

Ipods have nice fancy set ups and extras you don't really need. I have a few Ipods, a sansdisk (pain in the butt for managing your playlists), and a creative zen. I recommend the creative zen for your daughter. You definitely don't want to pay the money for an 11 year old to have an Ipod that could very easily be lost, stolen, or damaged. The bigger the Gigs the more stuff you can hold on it. So, if you plan to put movies on your player....then you definitely want a lot of gigs. If you plan to only put music on it then you will be fine with a smaller Gig. Or you could go with the Ipod shuffle if it is music only! My 6 and 4 yearold have the Ipod shuffle (not the new shuffle the older one) which is pretty cheap ($50) and basic. It has 2 gigs and holds 500 songs....that is more than they will ever need.

Oh that one sounds good (the ipod shuffle)  :)

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Hello My DD is 9 years old. she has both a mp3 player and a Ipod

Sanyo Mp3 player 2 years ago 25.00 at best buy

Ipod Christmas at walmart 149.00 plus a 15.00 Itunes card

The mp3 player plays downloaded music, I got from limewire has recordings, and radio

Ipod has alarm, clock, calender, cover flows(album covers) podcast and things like that

Itunes cards need to be purchased for 15.00-100.00 roughly .99 cents single songs, seen some 1.49

I find Ipod covers songs you purcase from Itunes

You may want to check out Zunes.. I think they run about 59.00 and see they have 15.00 unlimited downloads .. for the month I believe.. Good Luck

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Quoting Janis198:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Thank you. 

What about the GB? I see all different numbers, what is a good one? I understand the bigger the # the better it is, right? but are the 2 gb and 4 gb any good then?

The GB is how many songs it can hold.  2gb would hold less songs than a 4gb.  I think 2gb holds about 500 songs and 4 holds 1000 or maybe more...lol.  I'm not too sure, but it's something like that.

~Jill~

Familytyme
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM

My dd has an Mp3 player that she just loves.  She bought it with her own money for $25.  Though I am sure they are different (than an IPOD), they basically do the same thing.  I think you should deffinately start with the least expensive mp3 player to see if she is responsable enough not to loose it (they are so small). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)