• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BF question.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM
  • 11 Replies
i'm bfing dd, and did not bf ds. so this is my first time with it. dd is almost 2 weeks old. so here's my question, and it's probably really dumb, but bear with me, it's sincere. Is it necessary to burp after BFing? I've had to do some supplimenting with formula do to some complications, but she's mostly BFed. I know after bottle feeding, I need to, and she always burps, but with BFing she never does, and there isn't much air intake with BFing. so is it something I should continue doing after BFing? I guess it doesn't matter much, I'm more curious if she SHOULD be burping after. She gets the hiccups all the time, especially after feeding (either way). and thought maybe this could be something to help.
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:54 AM

It's different with every baby, some need to burp still and some do not. With my daughter we always at least tried to get her to burp. Sometimes she did, sometimes she didn't.

tiffanysgirls
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:58 AM
I just wanted to say...that is the CUTEST baby pic (your avatar). It is like she is saying "Hey! Whats up?" -lol-
acbbsmama
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I would at least try to burp her, she may or may not burp. As for the hiccups my daughter had the same issue. Her Dr. said to try to hold her more up right when nursing (or using bottle) and try holding her up right for a while after feeding. I hope that helps ;-)

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that s/he is someone today"

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I THINK IT'S A GOOD HABIT TO GET INTO. AFTER A WHILE JUST PUTTING HER UPRIGHT CAN DO THE JOB. IDK IF IT'S NECESSARY TO BURP A BF BABY, BUT I DID MINE ANYWAY. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY, LOL! GASSY BABIES ARE UNHAPPY ONES!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
jnick82
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I always burp between breasts. But then again my little Maddie could let out a burp that would put a trucker to shame. I would say try it and if she burps great if not then continue feeding.

happyJennifer

ClairDL
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM
thanks ladies. I wasn't sure. I always try... so I'll keep that up. She has crazy huge burps after bottles, but never anything after BF. Thanks for the hiccup tip, I'll try that . and thanks for the pic compliment. She was a day old in that pic, she 15 days now. She has a really expressive face, both my kids do... I love it, makes for awesome little models!
MELRN
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Well first congratulations on the BF success.  it is true that if bf little air gets in so they wont always burp.. but at the end of every feed I would still give it a try..in a good position up on your shoulder and patting her back for at least 3 minutes

Rachie7987
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I would reommend burping after breastfeeding. Not as much air gets though as a bottle, but some still does. If she doesn't burp, then she doesn't. No bigger. But she might need to!

good luck with breastfeeding! It can be a lot of work but it is worth it!

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM

My girls never burped after they ate and they tended to have hiccups a lot also, but then again so do I. If she's not burping, I wouldn't worry too much.

Proud Marine Wife

A proud natural childbirth having, breastfeeding, baby wearing, attachment parenting, spanking when needed, ANTI- CIO, co-sleeping mommy.

kerijeanbean
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM

All three of my babies have been breast fed and they have all been different with burping.  I say do it.  Usually my daughter will burp right away or not at all, but I burp for five minutes anyway.  If she falls asleep on the breast I will wait until she wakes up.  Congrats on your little girl.

Keri,

Wife to Bryan,

Mom to Christopher 3/27/2000, Blaine 12/15/2005, Elizabeth 2/9/2009

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)