Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this even possible for a 2 week old baby?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM
  • 17 Replies

I'm a first time mom of a two week old little girl.  she was 5 1/2 weeks early and has only been home about 5 days.  she has her days and nights mixed up.  she will sleep all day and only wake up to eat then at night she will be up between midnight and 3 am.  I have told people this and they say that I need to keep her up during the day so she sleeps at night.  Is this even possible to do?  I always thought you let a newborn sleep and wake when they want at first and this girl can sleep though just about everything.  and how on earth do you keep a 2 week old awake?  I need some advice from you more experianced moms. 

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lakemom22
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM

NO! Let the little one sleep!

They need lots and lots of rest, and seeing how she is so tiny, and was born so early, she will sleep alot.

Keep doing what you are doing. They are mixed up on days and nights at first, then you just keep them on a schedule that you can maintain, and it WILL get better.

I hope i helped you!

Elle

mymaddiegrl2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I could be wrong but I would think since she is a premature she might need more sleep like she would be in the womb . though premi slept more.  I could be wrong about that though.  I dont have much advice except sleep when she does.

kaitlyn322
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM

my little girl was the same way. i used to tickle her feet, or rub her head. sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. but eventually she got it right and now she sleeps all through the night and is awake more during the day.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
maybaby08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:06 AM

100% agree, please do not try to make the baby stay awake.

Quoting Lakemom22:

They need lots and lots of rest, and seeing how she is so tiny, and was born so early, she will sleep alot.

Keep doing what you are doing. They are mixed up on days and nights at first, then you just keep them on a schedule that you can maintain, and it WILL get better.

I hope i helped you!

Elle

Yes we CAN and Yes we DID!!!!

Photobucket

southernjess3
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

wow..um i dunno! my dd slept all through nite except to eat every few hours(brestfed)..she also slept almost all day..she still likes to sleep!..lol...im sorry i couldnt be much help..um...mabe talk to her alot,and try to stimulate her by like singing?..i dunno im sorry....bump

im a young southern ,proud mommy to 2 lil girls,wife,pick my kid up when she cries,feed my kids heathy snacks,curvy,chuuby baby luvin,tattooed,georgia livin,opinionated mama!

mommytoG
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I would just let her sleep for now. I know that this will be hard, but she was early. It will get better over time and she will get things down. I really would wait for awhile until she is more alert and aware of her surroundings and then try and keep her awake more during the day

ChrisyKrueger
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Yep, let her sleep.

Quoting Lakemom22:

I hope i helped you!

Elle

I'm a chocolate-addicted, wife,mother of three, and writer who wants to change lives one book at a time--Author of Vino in Vo.

MyBabies08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Tho I agree you should let her sleep, I would wait until she is a little bit older then start doing that.....I did it with both my babies when they were about 3-4months I started keeping them up and not letting them nap, so that way they would be sleep in bed by 8-9pm and U can do what you need to do and/or get some sleep!!! Good Luck!!!

Janis198
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Yep, let her sleep. and at night keep the house dark and she will soon figure it out.

Janis mommy to 5 great kids

bouncing momfamily in the van

jeenw1019
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:15 AM

thanks and thats what I thought too.  Yea she is a tiny lady.  She is now up to 6lb 2oz.  I
just cant see trying to wake her up just yet.  she has only been home 5 days. 

Quoting Lakemom22:

I hope i helped you!

Elle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)