Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Steals Cash, Dance Dreams Dashed

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

Friday, April 3, 2009
filed under: crime

How can a mom DO this? A teen dance team from the UK was stunned to find out that the money -- nearly $45,000! -- they had raised for a dream trip to LA for a dance competition was allegedly stolen by the coach's mother!

Amanda Williams

14 teen girls from Bobbi's Academy of Dance showed up at Heathrow Airport in London, set to fly to the States to represent England in the International Dance Excellence competition. When they got there, they were devastated to find the not only had NO flights been booked -- NO hotel rooms had been reserved in California!

The Sun reports Bobbi Newman, the leader of the school boss, discovered that her mother Amanda Williams had disappeared from her home that morning. She called the cops, who are now on the look out for 51-year-old Amanda Newman, who had organized everything for the 10-day trip.

The dance team had worked extremely hard to raise the funds -- they bagged groceries at local supermarkets, held a fashion show, bingo night, potluck and put on several dance recitals.

teen girls dance team

The girls were set to train with top Hollywood choreographers and compete with 26 other countries.

Family members say this is unlike Amanda to just disappear, so they're very concerned.

If she did escape with the cash -- how could she do that?

Could YOU ever take money from your kids??

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lanceandhailey
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:20 PM

That is soo sad and just pathetic!

momcat437
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:21 PM

No one knows if the mom really did it--she may have been a victim of foul play!!  ooooooooooh... 

Dreaming of that Paradise Earth...

xoxoAmeyxoxo
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM

To answer the question at the end, yes I could and have taken money from my kids. For EMERGENCY use only. Both my kids have untouchable saving bonds for their future and this is NOT what I am talking about. I am talking about the little fat piggy on the TV stand. It gets ones, tens and even twenties put it on occasion. It is technically my sons. When we have been tight and needed food, gas or medication, YES I have taken a twenty or so out of that bank!  

sagi6666
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM

That sucks...Hope they find her and put her somewhere where she won't "need" cash, like a prison cell...Sounds like those girls really worked hard at a dream that could of one day came true...

xoxoAmeyxoxo
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Quoting momcat437:

No one knows if the mom really did it--she may have been a victim of foul play!!  ooooooooooh... 

As in she was abducted when she just happened to have $45k on hand?? If so, then how does that explain her not booking the flight or hotel rooms??

canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Doesnt sound like foul play to me if she disappeared the same day, coincidence? Ha I think not! I think that is just pathetic that you would crush the dreams of all those girls that worked so hard for your own selfishness.

marblet
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Those poor girls to have all of that taken away from them. After all their hard work and dedication. That just sucks.
And i really don't see how it wasn't the mom that took it. If she disappeared the day they were to leave, and none of the reservations were made, I don't see how it wasn't her if she was in charge of all the arrangements.

fiendishthingy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM

It's not in the same league as stealing $45k, but my XH used to regularly take money from DD's piggy bank when she was little. He'd go in in the morning and take $5 right in front of her - not for an emergency, but just because he didn't have pocket money. His justification was that most of it came from him in the first place, so he was entitled to take it back. She's 20 now, and still resents that he did that. Just one of many reasons I'm glad he's an EX now!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)