Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Angry child

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a 3 1/2 yr old boy who seems to be angry all of the time.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this?  He is not physically angry he just seems frustrated and mad most of the time and I can't figure out what it is or what sets him off.  It is making me so sad.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JazG
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Maybe he just needs you more. Try to give him some attention. Or maybe he's picking up bad habits form siblings or daycare. Don't get angry at him when he gets angry, you still have to let him know that there are consequences for his bad actions. Tell him you understand he is mad but he can't act that way. Give him lots of praise when he behaves well. Good luck!

Riahsmom1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM

My dd can seem this way at times too and I just try and find ways for her to express her anger like hitting a pillow ect.  If nothing seems to be working I'd ask his doctor.  I hope it gets better for you and your son soon because it's not fun seeing our kids unhappy. 

strawberryfrost
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM

He seems to me like he doesn't know how to communicate what he wants to express to you.  When he gets angry try to stay calm and stand back watch and see what he is wanting to tell you.  I have a son like this too.  It can feel as if some days you are walking on egg shells with him and he wants to push every button to make you fly of the handle. From my own experience I usually take a deep breath stand back and see what might be bugging him.  Some days it's just boredom so he picks fights, other days he is over tried.  Some days it seems as if the world is against him and i have to find ways to distract him.  This can be tiresome when you have other kids.  I have taken him to Dr's in my area it was a waste of time.  Maybe you will have better luck with Dr's than I did.  In the mean time kids act out because something is bugging them usually and they don't know how to tell you.  I wish you all the luck Hun! 

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM

wave

Hi Amy600

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Toddler Moms

All about Toddlers 

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Amy600
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 4:40 PM
Thank you ladies. I think that will help at least give me a place to start. I needed someone else from the outside to give some new perspective. I did ask the doctor and he gave me a list of psychiatrists which was nice of him. There was nothing medically wrong. I haven't figured out my insuracne coverage on that though. I will try the pillow thing. I have to remember to take a step back, it is so hard when he blows it, then I do. I have one older child who is 5 1/2 and his twin brother so sometimes I forget to breath and then he feeds off of that. Thank you again, I am going to cry... just hearing from you helped me sooo much. Amy
Ms.Upinyourface
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 4:51 PM

The communication thing is a big one, this is a talking age, but it is not that effeciant for what is going on for them. the older sibling presents issues as well that #1 son did not have.

Dividing up time so that #2 son has one on one time with both parents and together will help you get to know this child in a differant way than as the second child.

for the #1 son as well having alone time, again, will help the rivalry seem less significant. and the enjoyment of the two brothers as well as the improtance of not lumping them in one 'boys'.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)