Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YARD WORK WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pic added

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son and I just got done mowing our grass for the first this season. He was mowing and I was pulling up roots from a huge tree in my back yard and collecting twigs and sticks from winter, when a rock, about the size of a golf ball, flew out from under the mower and hit my calf, 50 yards away! ( my yard is huge)

There is a new rule now, that when anyone is mowing the backyard, no one is allowed back there, and if you are mowing and see someone enter the yard, YOU TURN OFF THE MOWER!

Now, off to nurse my leg.

blurry, and it don't look like much, but in person, it is worse. tomarrow there will be a big ol bruise, I'm sure!

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monkeysmom29
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM

ouch

I'm  Agnostic ... also sometimes I don't make sense ... I'm just a woman.. I'm not rich ,I get wic but not food stamps .I live in a ghetto side of town but I love having extra money at the end of the month!! I love eBay .. love going to swapmeet's ..I have two kids boy  5 and a 2  year old girl!! edit: we live on the ghetto side of town because even with the money left over we could not afford to live on a better side of town!!! 

Janis198
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Yep, we have always had that rule, since I was little.

Janis mommy to 5 great kids

bouncing momfamily in the van

MAyers
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I'm sorry I hope you leg feels better.

LaNette000
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM

That had to hurt. My dad threw a rock into their car several years ago, a new car and busted the back glass out. I never heard so much cussing in all my life. LOL

SCmommy106
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM

My parents always had that rule, and I enforce it now too. One day my brother was mowing the lawn (he was about 14-15) the blade threw out a rock that flew into the side of the pool and actually punctured the metal pool siding and the liner and water was gushing out. Imagine what that could have done to someones skin! Scary.

WilliamsMama08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Yeah lawn mower accidents are very common and very serious.  Some of the injuries are VERY sad.

Feel better!! 

mcquistionmom2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM

oooo...that sucks! Sorry you had to go through that. Last summer when my cousin was mowing my grandparents yard he tossed a decent sized rock through the back window of my grandma's new PT Cruiser. Since then the rule is to always make sure the mower is pointed away from vehicles (and windows in general) - you know, the side that shoots out the mowed grass when you're not using a bag on it....always make sure its pointed away. I think your new rule about no one being in the back yard while mowing is a good rule of thumb though! Keeps everyone safe!!! Hope your leg feels better soon!

Dee Dee
We're expecting baby #3!!!
Natalie Ann due May 17th 2009!

pregnancy week by week

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

http://www.babyzone.com/babynames/bnpoll.asp?pollid=130092

ain-gell72
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:18 PM

thanks, girls! I should tell ya that the rock cut me like that, through a pair of sweatpants! it did hit hard! lol

fcangel9
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:25 PM

my dh busted out a glass door one time from mowing the lawn.  he hit a rock and it took the glass out completely,  i hope your leg feels better.

canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Yikes, that is wild!! mental note because my dog likes to chase the mower and bark at it. He is a big ol boy so that would be an outrageous vet bill! Hope it feels better soon! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)