Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what could cause this with a baby?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

my friend is 38 weeks pregnant.  She had an ultrasound today and they said the baby is only 4 lbs and some ounces and they don't think she's growing anymore. She's measuring at what a women at 33 weeks should be at.  I knew she looked really small, but i didn't want to say anything and scare her. She's going to the hospital today and theyre going to give her something to try to induce her, and if that doesn't work, theyre going to do an emergency c-section.  What could cause this? I didn't have any complications like this with my daughter so I don't even know.. does  anyone have any ideas? something with the placenta maybe?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
fcangel9
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM

could it be dwarfism?  i have never been preggo so i dont know what ultrasounds rule out or anything... but here is a bump

Butterfly07Mama

i have no idea but here is a bumo and i hope is goes ok for her and the baby

I'd like to be the ideal mother, but I'm too busy raising my kid.

krystledawn7

IUGR. I had it with my son. It just means the baby has stopped growing and isn't getting anymore nutrients and is safer out than in. I was induced because of it at 39 weeks (Although my son was 6lb 13.4oz).

kandibaby1030
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM

The baby could be bigger than the ultrasound is showing...  They said my daughter was 7lbs. 14 oz. at 36 weeks and they induced me the day before I was 39 weeks because they didn't want her to be more than 10lbs.  Well she was 7lbs. 11 oz.  So hopefully her baby is just fine!  Good Luck!

mommytoG
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I am not sure. But do keep us updated

Gizzy22
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM

My friends sister is going through the same thing. their giving her a csection to get the baby out.. They said for her its because she is so tiny. She is i think 4'11 or an inch or two smaller and she is so big but she has such little room for the baby to grow. no doubt her baby will be tiny and what not. But that could be it.

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I had the same thing I measured only about 32 weeks but they didn't realize until after my son was born that he had intrauterine growth restriction.  His placenta and umbilical cord stopped growing.  If I hadn't gone into labor at 38 weeks I wouldn't have him.  Its good that they caught it before the baby went into distress.  My DS went into distress while I was in labor and I had to have a c-section.  Having a baby that is small for gestational age is scary but they are generally healthy and grow fast.  My DS weighed 4lbs 15oz and gained 5lbs in the first 6 weeks.  I hope everything goes well for your friend! 

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one.

canthaveboys1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I had a placental lake. Which is a pocket of fluid/blood on the placenta it deemed me high risk, and I had a sonogram once or twice a week, and 1or 2 dr apts a week. It could have caused her to stop growing at any time and yes if they are cut off from nutrients they are better out than in.  If Tess would have stopped growing they would have emergency c-sec her right than and there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)