Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any moms work in Human Resources department..(regarding background cheks and waht they look for)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have been sufferng with depression just about since I had my son and have been through some tough times..i stopped taken my depression meds..went to walmart decided i was fat and tried to take some diet pills..and got caught first time stealing EVER...I regret this had to go to court they lowered my petty larceny to trespassing but on background checks sitll come up as petty larceny and then trespassing as the amended charge..i told the employer about what happened didnt mention petty larceny but did tell him it was stealing etc etc..once they run the background since i was origianlly convicted of petty larceny but wasnt charged..i was actually charged with trespassing should I be fine or will they look down on me b/c it was petty larceny and not give me a job offer? I jus want to know how companies view different things and reduced charges...?

**just to clear it up I was charged with trespassing but the original conviction was petty larceny until I had my court date and the judge lowered it to trespassing I just wanted to know..if since the original charge was petty larceny if it made a difference when i do my applications I dont have to mention petty larceny at all b/c that's not what i was charged with i was charged with trespassing if that makes sense**

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
fcangel9
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:59 PM

with a charge like that, if you are handling cash or large amounts of inventory they may look down on it. 

mommytoG
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I would just tell the truth. I was 9 months pregnant and I got arrested for an unpaid parking ticket and I am trying to get in the nursing program and I have to send in a letter an money for them to search and say that I am cleared. Otherwise, even though it was dismissed and not my fault that they screw up and didnt charge me right, it will still show up.

Just be honest

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM

You should be able to get the petty larceny charge taken off your record. Tell HR the truth if asked.

Coastiesgirl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I wish I could help, I do know some companies won't hire you if you have bad credit. I was turned down for a job I really wanted because my credit wasn't good enough. (Thank to a divorce)

INDIA1968
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM

DEPENDING HOW LONG AGO IT WAS SOMETIMES THEY WILL GIVE YOU BREAK. IF YOU LIE TO THEM AND THEY CATCH IN THAT LIE, YOU WILL NOT BE HIRED. THEY FIGURE IF YOU LIED ON YOUR APP WHAT ELSE ARE YOU LYING ABOUT. GO TO THE POLICE OR COURT HOUSE AND GET A TRANSCRIPT OF THE INCIDENT. IF IT'S CONSIDEREDA MISDEMEANOR YOU SHOULD BE OK. BUT IT WILL STILL DEPEND ON THE RETAIL STORE. GOOD LUCK.

Carolbrady100
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I work in human resources and do background checks on future employees. It depends on the person hiring you. We have hired people with petty criminal history. We look at more than just what the person has done in the past. If I saw your history and it was years ago, It probably wouldn't sway me not to hire you. I cant speak for the company you are applying with, but we don't get all bent out of shape over one petty strike against someone.

You would be surprised at how many people have a silly mistakes on their record from the past. Be honest about it and don't sweat it, Good luck!

Javionsmamii
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:25 PM

thnkx:)

ChristiMom2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM

When I worked in HR, we only looked for felony charges. We never looked at misdemeanors. If the felony had anything to do with theft, we would not hire the person.

Do not ask what they look for in the background check or they might get suspicious. We did hire a couple people who told us upfront what was on their record (only misdemeanors) and explained what happened. In those cases, we knew that it was nothing serious.

moms rock

ChristiMom2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Oh, and employers can only look at what you are convicted of, not what the original charge was. Innocent until proven guilty.

moms rock

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)