Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Can I Prepare Myself?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

It's almost bedtime, which is at 8PM. My dd has her usual bedtime temper tantrum forcing her grandma to put her to sleep every night. Grandma will also lie down with her and leave when she's asleep. Sometimes she ends up spending the night there. When my dd wakes up in the middle of the night, she refuses to let me even touch her to get her back to sleep. She only wants grandma. She used to be a good sleeper when we were sleep training her since 6 months. After 19 months, grandma got too involved and dd wasn't even sleeping in her own room anymore, she was sleeping with grandma and grandpa downstairs. Finally, I tried the Sleepeasy Solution method, but it didn't work because grandma was having a hard time putting up with the screaming and she always "rescued" her. Tonight I'm gonna try to use the Supernanny method; everytime she gets out of bed or her room I will put her back. How can I prepare myself to break her habit of sleeping with grandma and get her sleeping independently? I'm most concerned about grandma getting involved again at bedtime which I DON'T WANT. What worked for your kids when you were weaning them from co-sleeping? She is 2 years old and 2 months. But very advanced for her age and knows how to manipulate grandma to get her to stay in the room.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
INDIA1968
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Nothing will work until GM stops interfering. My mom tried that with my children but I put a stop on that real fast. I told my mom to stop interfering when I'm trying to teach them good habits. She did. Talk to GM and tell her how you feel. She is undoing what you are teaching her.

mama_beck
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:23 PM

BUMP! i have the same problem with my mom, so i'll check back to see what the good advice is.

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Grandma isn't really heling her at all.  She is just going to make it harder for her to get good slee.  Tell her not to interfere with this, you need to teach your dd how to get to slee on her own all over again.  Just walk in there and place her calmly back in bed every time she gets up.  She will most likely have a fit and get up over and over and over. This could take a while, just take a deep breath, have some coffee and try not to let it bother you.  I just moved dd#2 from her crib to a twin bed and have been going back and forth down the hall putting her back in bed.  I think right now we are the 15th time getting up.  Nap time was the exact same thing.  You just have to be consistant.  And grandma sneaking in to rescue her granddaughter is not going to help a thing, make that clear.  SHe may not want to hear grandaughter cry, but neither do you, its not like you enjoy the crying and stress she feels.  but she needs to learn good habits now. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

CoolMommy86
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

It's funny you said drink some coffee in your post. I did just that an hour ago bc I know its gonna be a long night. I also had a nap today to save my energy. It's almost bedtime. I'll tell you how it goes if she ever falls asleep.surrender

CoolMommy86
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:55 PM

She finally fell asleep at 9:45 after many many times of coming out of her room and me picking her up and putting her back to bed. she was very persistant about getting grandma to come, but she didn't get what she wanted. My mom at one point threated me that she was going to call SS-I don't give a f**k I said nothing and kept trying to get my dd to stay in bed.

startrace96
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:58 PM

IDK, but here's a bump, all my kids always co-slept with me. My middle one was 9 before he moved into his own room. My DD is 22 months old and she still cosleeps with me. Sorry, but here's a bump anyway.

CoolMommy86
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM

So today, she hasn't had a nap since we played all day outside. Last night was hard, but she finally fell asleep. I ended up staying in the room (bad, I know-she was holding me hostage) and I snuck out when she was asleep. She slept the whole night and woke up only twice. The first time she wanted me to stay the second time she put herself back to sleep! This is gonna be night two. Should I stay in the room again and sneak out? Or would that set up another bad habit I would have to break? Please I need to know by tonight!

iamme1414
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM

In Supernanny they always stay in the room with back facing the child or right outside of the door the first few nights, never in the bed with the child.  I guess in a few days/weeks when she goes to bed easier you can tell her that since she is sleeping fine on her own, you will no longer stay in the room. Or you can just put her to bed and leave and then explain if she questions.  Does Supernanny have a website for advice? 

Also, great job sticking up to your mom the first night.you rock

lyndonsmom
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM

This is not meant to be rude just empowering.

Grow a pair and tell granny to step off!  Its your kid, she raised hers the way she wanted and now its your turn to do the same.  I lived with my parents while DH was in Iraq and my parents never helped unless I asked, if they offered and I said no that was that.  You need to stand up for what you want plain and simple.  Otherwise it will be like this forever your DD will always go to granny to "save" her.

figitbaby
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I've got them same problem. My osn goes to be fine when i'm there no tv , no  bottle ( which i want gone anyways i'm about to throw them all away)  in his bed all by him self. But if he know daddy is home ( my dh normally works overnight and is gone by bed time) he'll pitch a fit till daddy comes and get him. It drives my nuts this is the same man who wanted me to let him cry it out at 3 months and now at 15 months calls my mean when he isn't even really crying just whining. Theres nothign you can do about you problem unless you talk to grandma and put down some boundries. I know it can be hard  I live with my inlaws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)