• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A reason to celebrate???

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM
  • 8 Replies

My niece is a 17 year old honor roll student in the 11th grade.  She met a 20 year old with a history of stealing from him family....  They are in love and she is pregnant...  I am a little shocked, but then, I was told today that they are getting married and her step mom is planning this major white chapel wedding (gently pushed).  I just don't know really what to say, I dread attending this wedding though.  Do you say "CONGRATULATIONS!!"? 

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sarah6690
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:03 PM

You could always just say "I wish you the best".  Not rude, but not a lie.

"Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away." ~  Hitch
Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Are your kids out of control?  Check out my new group and find out why going dye free could help.   DYE FREE

dd072175
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Quoting Sarah6690:

I agree.

kristinaleann
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:07 PM

sure, why not?

jalex
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Good advice.  Just about all that I'll be able to say...  I really hope that I don't cry!

Quoting dd072175:

Quoting Sarah6690:

I agree.

taylansmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I think you should try to be there for her after all she is your family and she has to make her own mistakes I am sure she needs someone who is non judgemental

preview image

Rachie7987
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Actually, it's improper to say "congrats" to a bride or to-be bride. The correct way of saying it is "best wishes". It's proper to say "congrats" to the groom or to be groom.

If you use "Best Wishes", you are basically just saying your hoping for the best. I would go that route.

jalex
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I still need to say something about the baby...  and soon!   Thanks for the tip, I was thinking about once the vows are taken.

I do want her to know that I am here for her.  I just feel sad, can't help that.

Quoting Rachie7987:

Actually, it's improper to say "congrats" to a bride or to-be bride. The correct way of saying it is "best wishes". It's proper to say "congrats" to the groom or to be groom.

If you use "Best Wishes", you are basically just saying your hoping for the best. I would go that route.

4LifeTupperware
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM
You can say anything that is nice. What I would do as a wedding gift would be a couples marriage book. A great one is Fireproof the movie and the love dare book that goes with it. It's something to get there marriage off to a good start.

Melanie, Wife for 15 years and a Mom, to 14 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 14 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 14 months old "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)