Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do? (Long)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay obviously I'm having a hard time figuring out the decision I need to make in about a month or so. I just want to see what other moms would say or which route they would take.

Currently I am a Preschool teacher at 2 different Preschools. Each are a 2 day a week program. One is Mondays and Wednesdays and the other is Tuesdays and Thursdays. I work from 8:30 to 2:30, but have to up at 6, and the kids up by 7, and out the door at 8, pulling out by 8:10. Both of my kids are currently enrolled in both schools. So they go with me and are pretty much within ear shot all day of me.

At school A I started out teaching in the nursery, I had 3 babies. Well after 2 had left because the parents were getting a divorce and they needed a 5 day a week program I was down to 1 baby. Now normally my position would of be terminated since my enrollment dropped less than 50%, but the baby I had left is a teacher in the 4's class, and she does have a certified teaching degree. So in order to keep the teacher, they had to keep the child care. Well the 1's class had issues getting teachers and then keeping them, so they had me work in there. My DS is in that class and has huge anger issues when I'm around. So I voiced my concern to the director and she decided to divide up the one's, let me have my baby and some of the one's, plus she added some kids to my nursery. So now I have 6, and then 2 teachers in the 1's class have 6. I have 6, but am only one person. They have 6 and there are 2 of them in there. We do come together for Big Room Play, lunch, and nap, since I have to step out to take one of my babies to my original room for a nap. I also have a hard time managing my kids while at work, because I have to be there 30 minutes before they can go to class.. and about 5- 15 minutes after they are out for the day. So it makes it hard to take care of my class like I would like and I feel stressed worrying about my kids. Are they getting into things while I clean? Are they annoying someone? Are they touching stuff we just sprayed? Etc. I feel like I can't manage work and kids over there.

At school B I had no intentions of working at, and I then got offered the job by a fellow teacher at School A. So I took it, more like I tried it out and just stayed. I really like it a lot over there. I have a co-teacher and we have 11 kids total. My co-teacher and I work as a great team and we agree on classroom management. My kids are both in different classes than myself and the only time I come in contact with them is when we're in the Big Room playing or outside playing. I feel like the director there understands my role as a parent and doesn't mind if my kids want to play in another room while I'm preparing for the day. I feel more comfortable and more laid back and not stressed at all. I also enjoy the 2's because they are little adults and keep me on my toes! Plus you're able to do more with them than with the Nursery/1 year old crowd.

Well now it's time to preregister for the next school year. And so far I have registered both kids back at both schools. But here is where I need the advice. I know that I want to continue my job over at school B... but I do NOT want to continue my job over at school A. I have already told School B that I will be returning there next year to continue to teach. School A... I still have time before I give her a firm answer.

This is the current situation. I make about $400 a month. I pay out $190 in tuition for the kids ( I get a 50% discount at each for working there).

At School B I make about $240 a month. and we only get paid once a month there. At School A I get about $140 every 2 weeks. In total I make $210 take home pay ( that I actually get to use). That remaining money is BS money and go towards whatever we need it or want it to go towards.

Should I: Continue to work at School B and make my $240 a month and pay $90 in tuition and then put my kids in the other school for $190 ( full tuition) at a total of $280 a month in child care. That would be a $40 dollar out of pocket expense left from my pay check. So $40 would have to come out of my budget.

Should I: Keep it the way it is.. work both for an average of $400 a month with $190 out in tuition with a total of $210 in take home pay?

Should I: Work at School B and take the kids out of school A and make $240 a month with a pay out of $90 in tuition with a take home pay of $150?

Should I: Work at School A and take the kids out of School B and make $140 every 2 weeks with a pay out of $100 in tuition with a take home pay of $180

Should I: Just keep my kids home and not put them in Preschool and not work and not bring in any and not put out any?

Or other...??

Basically what would you do if this was you. Now the reason I wanted to work one school and put them in both is so that I can have 2 days to catch up. This year everything has gotten so far behind because I simply don't have the time to get it done. Which causes me to be stressed out and feel like I'm over doing it day in and day out. I don't want to be stressed and take it out on my kids because I'm having a rough day at the this school because I'm unhappy. I still want to make money and I still want to teach. Also this coming school year would be my DD's last year in Preschool, so this would be the only year I'd have to worry about it. After this I would just have my DS in Preschool and the cost I spend out would be less, but I would be making the same. Should I just continue on the way it is and suck it up and deal with the stresses even though I think it's taking an effect on my family as a whole?

Either decision my husband will support it. So asking him is a no go.. lol. My best friend has offered her advice, and I have listened to everything she's said. I just want other mom's opinions and advice.

Which would you chose and why?

If you need more explanation.. just ask.. I tried to keep it short! Lol.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTo2BabesTX
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Bump... no opinions?

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Can school B give you 4 days of work? if not I think with the way the economy is I would Keep both jobs.

MomTo2BabesTX
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:02 PM

They are both just 2 day a week programs. They don't offer anything else.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Can school B give you 4 days of work? if not I think with the way the economy is I would Keep both jobs.


lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM

keep both jobs ask director at job A to move your son for next fall to another room?

MomTo2BabesTX
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Next year at School A he will be in another room. He'll be in the 2's and I'll still be teaching in the 1's. So I can add that to the pros as well, that he would be going to another class.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

keep both jobs ask director at job A to move your son for next fall to another room?


MaxsLovingMommy
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM


Quoting MomTo2BabesTX:

Next year at School A he will be in another room. He'll be in the 2's and I'll still be teaching in the 1's. So I can add that to the pros as well, that he would be going to another class.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

keep both jobs ask director at job A to move your son for next fall to another room?



If your son is in another class, do you think that you would like working at school A or do you just really not like working there?

MomTo2BabesTX
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:54 AM

My son being in the class as some to do with it. But I also have issues with how the director is at School A. At School B the director treats us more like her friends then employees and hears us out. This director at School A is new this year, and my daughter has been going to this school since she was 1, and the old director did things completely different. I've had several issues with how my kids were being treated, etc at School A all year and I never said anything because I worried it would cause me to lose my job. I felt like I was at a rock and a hard place. I needed to protect my kids and put my fist down on somethings, but I wanted to be a good employee and keep my job.

Quoting MaxsLovingMommy:

If your son is in another class, do you think that you would like working at school A or do you just really not like working there?


MaxsLovingMommy
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:58 AM


Quoting MomTo2BabesTX:

My son being in the class as some to do with it. But I also have issues with how the director is at School A. At School B the director treats us more like her friends then employees and hears us out. This director at School A is new this year, and my daughter has been going to this school since she was 1, and the old director did things completely different. I've had several issues with how my kids were being treated, etc at School A all year and I never said anything because I worried it would cause me to lose my job. I felt like I was at a rock and a hard place. I needed to protect my kids and put my fist down on somethings, but I wanted to be a good employee and keep my job.

Quoting MaxsLovingMommy:

 

If your son is in another class, do you think that you would like working at school A or do you just really not like working there?


If you don't like the way you children are being treated, take them out! Don't ever be "afraid" to protect them. Well...if you want to keep the job, maybe you could step up and tell the director your concerns and tell her you are only working this year on  a trial basis. If things don't change you could leave. If you don't think things will change, then you could just work School B and maybe find another program for  your children on the other two days??

MomTo2BabesTX
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 10:18 AM

The way my kids were being treated wasn't something I would remove them over. Like with my DS' class.. they had teachers in and out of that room because she can't hire good people. I have an issue with that.. some parents might not. I don't want my son around 300+ different people in his early years. With my DD's class they went on a field trip that I was going to meet them there after I got my relief started on what she had to do while I was gone. I said that my daughter could only ride with 2 certain moms, not on the school van, because I didn't want her riding in the van since they don't install and use car seats properly ( I'm anal about that), well they put her in the van anyway, and I didn't know until I arrived and another mother told me, and that the teacher ( not the person I said could) went into my car and got the seat out. I addressed each and every concern with not only the teacher but the director as well and I was looked at like an overreacting parent. Well who cares.. if I don't protect my kids who is? Right?

School A is a better school academic wise. So School A is our school of choice because of their academics. I've been using School A since my daughter was 1, School B they just go there because I work there kind of thing.

I thought about looking into working for another program and enrolling my kids in that. I looked into a couple of places that would be like closer to my house, easy to get to, etc. and they had enrollment openings, but no employment openings. I did however sign up for a waiting list at a few that are closer to where we live ( the schools I work at now are across town).

Quoting MaxsLovingMommy:

If you don't like the way you children are being treated, take them out! Don't ever be "afraid" to protect them. Well...if you want to keep the job, maybe you could step up and tell the director your concerns and tell her you are only working this year on  a trial basis. If things don't change you could leave. If you don't think things will change, then you could just work School B and maybe find another program for  your children on the other two days??


MaxsLovingMommy
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 10:24 AM


Quoting MomTo2BabesTX:

The way my kids were being treated wasn't something I would remove them over. Like with my DS' class.. they had teachers in and out of that room because she can't hire good people. I have an issue with that.. some parents might not. I don't want my son around 300+ different people in his early years. With my DD's class they went on a field trip that I was going to meet them there after I got my relief started on what she had to do while I was gone. I said that my daughter could only ride with 2 certain moms, not on the school van, because I didn't want her riding in the van since they don't install and use car seats properly ( I'm anal about that), well they put her in the van anyway, and I didn't know until I arrived and another mother told me, and that the teacher ( not the person I said could) went into my car and got the seat out. I addressed each and every concern with not only the teacher but the director as well and I was looked at like an overreacting parent. Well who cares.. if I don't protect my kids who is? Right?

School A is a better school academic wise. So School A is our school of choice because of their academics. I've been using School A since my daughter was 1, School B they just go there because I work there kind of thing.

I thought about looking into working for another program and enrolling my kids in that. I looked into a couple of places that would be like closer to my house, easy to get to, etc. and they had enrollment openings, but no employment openings. I did however sign up for a waiting list at a few that are closer to where we live ( the schools I work at now are across town).

Quoting MaxsLovingMommy:

 

If you don't like the way you children are being treated, take them out! Don't ever be "afraid" to protect them. Well...if you want to keep the job, maybe you could step up and tell the director your concerns and tell her you are only working this year on  a trial basis. If things don't change you could leave. If you don't think things will change, then you could just work School B and maybe find another program for  your children on the other two days??



Unfortunately, day schools usually have a high turn-over rate. There just isn't money to be made for teachers with degrees. That is a big topic right now where I live. Day schools want teachers with degrees but they still want to pay regular pay...won't cut it. Maybe you should just work at B and keep the children in B and A. I don't know... I would pray about it and see what decision is best for you. Do your children seem happy at both schools? If you can use the income don't let the director run you off. Keep your job if you like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)