Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler eating

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:36 PM
  • 5 Replies

hello mommies,

i was just wondering how some of you might get your toddlers to eat. dinner, breakfast ect. mine is 4 years old and has to be fed still. like we have to pick up the fork and feed him. any suggestions on how to make him do it himself?(also, i'm a step mommy, so any suggestions on how to delicately guide S.O into letting toddler feed himself. i'm just so sick of seeing S.O have to feed this little boy. it's ridicules.)

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momiofcristina
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:41 PM

It is ridiculous, my 2 1/2 year old try to do the same thing and her pedi told me to just sit her with us at the table, or set her up in her own small table and dont feed her. It was tough in the beginning but eventually she caught on. On talking to your SO about this, broach the subject feel him out and if you see hes getting upset let it go. Atleast you're not feeding her KWIM?

preview image

preview image

RockTheSocks
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM

id just sit the food in front of them and say 'ok, you eat when you feed yourself.   theyll eat when they're hungry.

crowned_mom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM

wow that is ridiculous. my son is 21 months and is feeding himself for the most part. i would suggest just hading the kid the spoon and saying "ok time to eat" and let him watch you feed yourself and he will eventually catch on.

mommy2bunny
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Honestly, a 4 yr old is a preschooler (almost school age), so he's a big boy now.   Since he's old enough to understand, just give him the fork/spoon and explain that he needs to feed himself now because he's not a baby anymore.  There may be some resistance at first because he's used to being babied.  But, trust me, kids won't let themselves starve and he'll eat when he's hungry enough.  Just be consistant with it.  As far as your SO, I'd just ask him if he's planning on going to school with his son so he can feed him.  His son will get teased for being a baby.  Maybe ask your SO if he wants his son to grow up to be a sissy, because that's what's happening.  He's certainly not doing his son any favors.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:14 PM

wave

Hi anne85910

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Toddler Moms

All about Toddlers

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)