• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what age should a kid help out on house chores?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM
  • 51 Replies
I am just curious because my stepdaughter just turned 13 and when she comes visit us, almost every weekend, our home is like her 2nd home, she does literally nothing to help in the house.
back where I come from, Puerto Rico, I was expected to help mom to mop, sweep, do dishes, and even clean bathrooms since I was like 8 or 9. and it has not been long, I am only 24.
I am hesitant to ask her to help because she is not my actual daughter and I don't know if she should.
I guess, is it ok to expect her to help out, I don't mean like floors and bathrooms, because of the lenght of time she stays, but to do dished once in a while when we all eat together, and to help out with her brother, my son who is 2 years old, etc?

Need advice, I don't want her to think I am mean but I really think she should begin having some roles in the house as a team we are, am I wrong?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissiHampt
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I think kids should have chores as soon as they can walk.  Seriously.  My son has been setting the table and putting some of his own laundry away since he was 2.  He's 4 now and helps me with all kinds of things.

anziomom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I agree with making them help out as soon as they are old enough. I would say 7-9 is a fair age to expect them to be able to complete "whole" chores like laundry, dishes, cleaning the bathroom, etc.  

mommy2angels427
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM

same here...

Quoting MissiHampt:

I think kids should have chores as soon as they can walk.  Seriously.  My son has been setting the table and putting some of his own laundry away since he was 2.  He's 4 now and helps me with all kinds of things.

lolamac
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Oh my she is definitely old enough to help out. My boys have been helping since they were old enough to walk. They started out by picking up their toys and putting them in their toy box. They put their dirty clothes in the hamper....ect. Now that they are 9 and 15, one either sets the table and the other clears, they change the trash, vacuum, dust, clean their bathroom, ect......

I have told my boys that I do not dirty the house/laundry/dishes by myself so I will refuse to clean the house/laundry/dishes by myself. I also DO NOT give an allowance. I will not pay them for what they should be doing as part of the family. We as a family make this house what it is and none of us will get paid for it. Our payment is in pride.

tiredmomfor2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I agree with you. I grew up with chores and responsibilities. I do not think it is out of the questino to ask her to help out a bit ( helping wash dishes, feed dog etc.) I think it teaches accountability and a good work ethic and it is good to get down and dirty with family!

My son is 3 and he does a couple chores and helps out. He feeds the dog ( mini schnauzer) and has to put his shoes away when he comes in and he empties and puts his plate in the sink when he is done eating. It is never too early or too late to learn responsibility.

Good luck and have fun!!

proudmommytoOJ
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM
I guess the main issue is that she doesn't really live us. its only part time, even though she has her own room and all, but she doesn't live with us, does that make any difference
WendyJR
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I agree that they should start chores early as possible.  It teaches them responsibility and to  take care of their living environment.  I was taught early with something just as simple as cleaning up your toys/room/etc...Help setting the table or clearing the table could be a good way to start or drying/putting away dishes etc.  Just tell her that you need her to help you.  Good luck! :)

lolamac
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Quoting proudmommytoOJ:

I guess the main issue is that she doesn't really live us. its only part time, even though she has her own room and all, but she doesn't live with us, does that make any difference

She can still help out...keep her room clean, help with her laundry. Do dinner dishes when she's there, or help pick up.

mcquistionmom2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:55 PM

My 3yr old helps out with chores. He likes to scrape plates (IDK why but he does...lol) and he likes to help take out the trash and recycling. He helps toss stuff in the washer and then tries to help fold the clothes when they come out of the dryer. They're never too young to start helping out with the chores (that is, figuratively speaking anyway, I think 2 is a good age to get a child involved with helping out with picking up toys and whatnot). My 3 yr old was only asked to help pick up his toys but he offers to help with all the other stuff. Your step daughter should be helping out around the house at 13 yrs old.

Dee Dee
We're expecting baby #3!!!
Natalie Ann due May 17th 2009!

pregnancy week by week

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

http://www.babyzone.com/babynames/bnpoll.asp?pollid=130092

4LifeTupperware
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM
my kids start early. My 14 month old puts his toys away when he is done, or his blanket and things like that. We help him with it, so it's not like we are making him do it all. It's the only way he will learn is to start early.

At 13 she should be helping with dishes at the least if she is only there for the weekend, and making sure her stuff while there is neat.

Melanie, Wife for 15 years and a Mom, to 14 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 3 year old son, 14 month old son and two angel babies that would also be 14 months old "Only one life, will soon be passed, only what's done for Christ will last." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)