Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stress tests for pregnant women

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

So for a while now my AFP levels have been high...
They did tests and to this day of my 30 weeks 5 days (literally) cannot find any abnormalities
on my little girl!

The specalist told us that starting in a week, I will have to start going to the hospital
twice a week for stress tests.

She "explained" what they were but used a bunch of medical mumbo-jumbo
that left me more confused then when I went in there!

She also said they probably wouldn't let me go to term and if I WAS able to make it to term
they most certainly wouldn't let me be pregnant a day after my due date.

So I am totally confused, can anyone help me out? What do they do ? How long do they take? What are they looking for?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
3armycuties
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Ok having mommy brain...what's AFP? As for the stress test, when I had them, they hooked me up to the monitor and just watched the baby's heart beat. It had to speed up and slow down for a certain amount of time and that was it. If the baby won't stay on the monitor, it will take longer. Sometimes it would take up to two hours with my DD because she CONSTANTLY would move. Good luck!

nokesmomof2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM

they dont do anything to stress you out they just hook you up to the monitor like a pp said that it but as far as the afp i dont know what that is

have kids born in 06&08 come join my group please
http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsof06and08
MELRN
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM

That's a major PIA! For the stress test they hook your belly up to the monitor (the same one they use in a delivery room if you let them of course) and they watch the wave form for a while and occasionally  poke around to see how baby's heart rate  responds.  sometimes they even get creative and have you drink something with a lot of sugar (like OJ) and then wait 30 minutes and see what happens with the heart rate

This was not asked but I thought I'd say it anyhow... YOU need to let your Doctor or Midwife or whoever you have know that YOU are the boss and YOU pay him NOT vice versa!  BE firm...   ask him or her the margin of error on a AFP (LOL its like 30-50%-- now  think of it this way-- if you went to  a doctor who told you that at least 3 out of 10 times they were wrong wouldnt you get a second opinion? or better doctor?)

Sakevich
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM

It's the Alpha-fetoprotien....The amount of AFP in the blood of a pregnant woman can help see whether the baby may have spinal bifida and etc.

3armycuties
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I thought these test had a high rate of false positives? Good luck though!

Quoting Sakevich:

It's the Alpha-fetoprotien....The amount of AFP in the blood of a pregnant woman can help see whether the baby may have spinal bifida and etc.

Sakevich
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Quoting 3armycuties:

I thought these test had a high rate of false positives? Good luck though!

Quoting Sakevich:

They have re-tested it about a dozen times and it still remains high......

Sarah6690
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I didn't mind the stress tests.  LOL!  I actually got to sit down and do nothing at all.  I don't know if they are all like this, but my drs had big comfy recliners that they would lay you back in.  Put the straps around your belly and give you a little button to push.  You would push it every time the baby moved and they would make sure that their heartbeat responded appropriately. 

"Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away." ~  Hitch
Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Are your kids out of control?  Check out my new group and find out why going dye free could help.   DYE FREE

Sakevich
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Quoting Sarah6690:

I didn't mind the stress tests.  LOL!  I actually got to sit down and do nothing at all.  I don't know if they are all like this, but my drs had big comfy recliners that they would lay you back in.  Put the straps around your belly and give you a little button to push.  You would push it every time the baby moved and they would make sure that their heartbeat responded appropriately. 

I would welcome the slow-down...but they are twice a week and I don't know how long they last for! I am just worried....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)