Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I didn't know it would be this hard...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM
  • 70 Replies

I'm a new mom as of April 3, and I knew I'd be losing sleep, but I had no idea it would be this much!  I'm so exhausted and feel like I'm losing my mind.  I'm reading the book, "Baby Wise" to help with the sleep pattern, and I know she's only 5 days old, but it feels like getting her onto a schedule feels impossible right now!  Sometimes she just cries for over an hour and I have no idea what to do!  I've already fed her so she can't be hungry eventhough she keeps trying to suck on things and does not want a pacifier.  Please tell me other moms are or have gone through this because I'm feeling really overwhelmed and really really tired.  I don't want to be upset when I finally have such a beautiful little girl that I've been waiting to meet for 9 months.  Anyone else read "Baby Wise" and found that it really does work???

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mymaddiegrl2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I havent read that book but it will get better those first few weeks are so tough til you get  a groove down. you can do it. just try and sleep when she does and make sure you eat well keep your energy up. good luck  and chin up. congrats she is beautiful 

ashleykilleen
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM

All i am gonna say is vibrate chair, it got me threw the worst of times with my son.

good luck momma!!!

ttcpreview image

Dayija
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I'm a control freak and for me I really, really need to be on a schedule but it was not even going to happen when I first brought my LO home. I was recovering from a C-Section too and it was tough. I didn't know what to do but I had my mom there to help. I don't know what I would've done with out her. Now he's four months old and we are on a schedule. Thought I wouldn't get through it but here I am today. Just hang in there. It's one of the greatest challenges I've been through so far and I was in the military before I had him. LOL 

enmaynard
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM

I am not a fan of baby wise ...

that being said , give up the idea that your going to get your baby on a schedule this early.. at this point they eat and sleep when they want .. are you breast feeding or formula feeding? are you by yourself?

You need re-enforcements deary... and I mean it , let someone come over and help with the baby while you get sleep, it was the best thing ever done for me.. my mom came and stayed with me brought me the baby to feed, brought me food to eat ... it was a life saver!!!!

I am a fun-loving, outdoorsey, dressage riding, anti-CIO, pro-spanking, pro-life, but deep down granola, homemade baby food making, sometimes co-sleeping, breast feeding and formula feeding only when there is no other option, Christian ( don't believe in religion but the relationship with my Heavenly father) Military life loving, try not to cuss and swear, mother of a 4 1/2 month old baby girl and a Marine Corp Wife. 
  ~Lovin my life as a Marine Wife~

ZombieBroad
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM
hang in there momma. i know how u feel. i think we all do. i have blocked out the first 3 months of my daughters life because it was so hard and awful. really u cant start a sleep schedule till they are about 4-6 weeks because until then they dont know whats day or night. at that point though u can begin sleep training. i would go days and days without sleeping. i got used to being dizzy, not eating, being nauseous from exhaustion and crying almost every night. id go so far as to say that i got depressed from the sleep deprivation. but hang in there. it gets so much better. message me if u need any support, i'll tell u like it is and not the fufu fantasy bullshit other momma and books will feed u about newborns.

"A baby is God's way of saying the world should go on"

Court0704
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM

I could be wrong, but I think it's impossible to establish a routine before 3 weeks. I have a four year old and a five month old, and I let the first few weeks be up to them. When he/she turns one month try again! Good luck!

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:10 AM

My son was a low birth weight baby and the first week I thought I would never get any sleep because he woke up every 2 hours to nurse for 30 minutes.  After the first week I started giving him formula at night and he would go 3-4 hours between feedings.  I don't know if you are BF or formula feeding.  It does get better though. Good luck momma!

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one.

Moniker
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I'm not a fan of baby wise either! I believe a baby should be fed on demand. Some parents who followed baby wise had babies diagnosed with failure to thrive. I was pretty much doing it alone...after a c section too. My ex and I were almost through before I knew I was pregnant, sort of situation.  I felt like you did. It does get better. I also don't know how women do it, especially when they have other children to take care of it.  Ypur baby may still be hungry. Mine always ate much more than the guidelines of what typical newborns eat. The nurse in the hospital told me he drank nearly 5 ounces in the nursery,in one sitting,  no joke!  I also had a problem with my son with bad gas. I had to try many, many different formulas before I found one that worked great. Good start soy. The crying stopped, the gas stopped, and he started gaining weight. I also had problems with air from the bottles causing gas.  I ended up using the vent air ones by playtex, I can't explain how they work but they do.

rhianonmat
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:16 AM

If you want a healthy happy baby... forget the schedule.  Let the baby sleep when it needs to and eat when it's hungry! 

If you try to "schedule" your baby's sleep, you're in for a lot of headaches.  Babies aren't ready for that until they're much older.

L

cdnmom24
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I actually never put my DD on a schedule until she was about 4-5 months old. I fed on demand and I also co-slept. Are you sure she isn't hungry? Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? Is her tummy hard to the touch?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)