Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Headache and fever, no other symptoms

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son has a fever and a headache, He says nothing else is bothering him. I have no tylonol and no money to get any, He is sleeping now but I dont know how else to keep his temp down other than a cold wash cloth and keeping him uncovered and in his underwear.
I shouldnt worry should I?

by on Apr. 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babygirl709
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 9:26 AM

My 5 year old had the same symptoms  He had 103-104.5 fever.  the dr said it was a viral infection, gave him antibiotic and that was it.  If you cant buy fever medicine this remedy works better than Medicine.  it may sound crazy but it worked.  Take 1 onion peel it and cut it in half, when the child goes rest or to sleep put half on the bottom of each foot hold it on with a couple of socks, a few hours later or the next morning the onion will be soft and smell like stink.  It worked wonders for my son.  10 minutes after removing the onion his fever jumped up again.  Dont keep him uncovered when you have fever it makes you cold  cover him from head to toe and let him sweat the fever out

shana

kidspro04
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Never, never sweat out a fever! If that fever gets too high, it can send the child into seizures! I have seen this happen too often! Please do not sweat it out, it's a myth! Let them cover up with a thin, light blanket to keep the chill off. No heavy pajamas, no comforters, no hot liquids. Instead, room temperature fluids like Gatorade, water, Pedialyte, cola. The carmel from the cola will help soothe the stomache and the others will keep him hydrated. If he doesn't like plain water, you can get sugar-free jell-o (or any other brand gelatin) and put about 1/2 teaspoon of the gelatin in room temperature water to add a little taste. Don't worry about him eating as long as he stays hydrated.

Cool washclothes on his head and armpits will help the fever, along with a luke warm bath. Avoid washing his hair though so he don't catch a chill when he gets out of the tub.

He really won't necessarily need the Tylenol if the fever isn't higher than 101. You can do the remedies I mentioned above. But if it gets higher than 101, you can always call your nearest WIC or planned parenthood facility and explain your situation. They usually have samples they can give you.

Good luck!! Hope this has helped you!

Kidspro04 hugs

ChristiMom2
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM

My 8 year old son just had the same thing. He didn't notice the fever but the headache was horrible for him.

I did give him Tylenol but it didn't bring the fever down. I kept him covered on the couch with a blanket and he was down for 3 days.

Just keep an eye on him. If he stays the same for a couple days, don't be too alarmed. If he gets worse, you need to take him in ASAP.

Hope that helps.

moms rock

JSVDP
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Yeah I would never ever make him sweat it out. I know better that that. But he did end up sweating all night long. I let him cover with a blanket I had knitted that isnt very think at all.
He seems ok this morning, no headache but still a little warm. Hopefully he gets over this soon. Thanks ladies.

LilMama213
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM

my sd just had this and it only lasted a day. She had fever and complained of a headache.

retsillacam
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 11:19 AM

you don't really need to keep his temp down. His body is doing exactly what its supposed to be doing. Just give him a cool cloth on his head to make him more comfortable and let him hang around the house in underwear and he should be fine.

retsillacam
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 11:21 AM

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Quoting babygirl709:

My 5 year old had the same symptoms  He had 103-104.5 fever.  the dr said it was a viral infection, gave him antibiotic and that was it.  If you cant buy fever medicine this remedy works better than Medicine.  it may sound crazy but it worked.  Take 1 onion peel it and cut it in half, when the child goes rest or to sleep put half on the bottom of each foot hold it on with a couple of socks, a few hours later or the next morning the onion will be soft and smell like stink.  It worked wonders for my son.  10 minutes after removing the onion his fever jumped up again.  Dont keep him uncovered when you have fever it makes you cold  cover him from head to toe and let him sweat the fever out

ThinkTwice08
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM

If he isn't acting really sick or very different from usual....DON'T WORRY about fevers. They are a NORMAL body process and should not be brought down if he's fighting off something. It can make the illness last longer.  Our bodies have a natural defense system that won't allow our temp to get much above  105. Most fevers won't go much over 104. Seizers only happen if there is a RAPID/SUDDEN RISE in temp...it has nothing to do with the temp itself. Have him relax and drink lots of fluids. It will pass. :)

Google.....'bennifits of fever'.....

NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Earth  friendly, mamma of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! :)

ANewPerspective
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Honestly, after taking Biology in college I try not to give my DD tylonal for fevers unless they last over 24 hours or are really high. Your body actually spikes a fever to kill off whatever is in your body that shouldn't be. So giving tylonal right away is making your immune system basically work in reverse.

Try having him take a luke warm bath.

sylviapike26
by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 3:00 PM

It could be a head cold.  Giving him a bath in lukewarm water can lower his temp and lots of fluids!  If he doesn't want to drink, give him popcicles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)