Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Does anyone know if you can buy a house while owing back child support ?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 11:45 PM
  • 24 Replies

Ok so my hubby has always paid child support he owes for his son birth and pays a little bit on it every month. We always had his daughter but bm some how got cash asstaince from the state and he owes for that as well // its a total of like 5,000 dollars . It was at 13,000 less then 2 years ago. He has always paid his monthly amount though its just when it was set he was already in the whole if that makes since .. Does anyone know if we can get approved for a house with this ? I want a home so badly please help this is all that is bad on our credit . I also wanted to add he has had his job for 3 years.

I am a 25 yr old Mommy to 1 6 yr old girl  , Step mommy 1 9 yr old boy, Happily Married to the love of my life, Roman Catholic, Catholic School sending, Conservative Gymnastics Mommy,  100% Pro-life..Kansas Princess :)

by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RyansMommy7507
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM

not sure but here is a bump

itssweetness
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I really think he should pay whatever he has to before you buy a house.

itssweetness

MrsArnett
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM

well it is money that he really shouldnt owe and got screwed out of but he gave up on not paying that way he could get his daughter for good ( i have now adopted her) ! basically her birth mom used the system and used the money and dh gots to pay for it ! It is not like he is a dead beat dad or anything like that!!!!!!!!!!!! Also we are currently living with my father WE dont have time to pay it off. he does pat 75 dollars towards it every other week though!

Quoting itssweetness:

I really think he should pay whatever he has to before you buy a house.

I am a 25 yr old Mommy to 1 6 yr old girl  , Step mommy 1 9 yr old boy, Happily Married to the love of my life, Roman Catholic, Catholic School sending, Conservative Gymnastics Mommy,  100% Pro-life..Kansas Princess :)

army_wife_06
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Did she get state assistance for both kids while you had the daughter? If so, fight it. I don't think the back child support would cause him not to be able to buy a house. It just shows negative on your credit report IF the state turned it in. It should also not be on YOUR credit. You could put your name first on the loan.

itssweetness
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:13 AM

This is true.

Quoting army_wife_06:

Did she get state assistance for both kids while you had the daughter? If so, fight it. I don't think the back child support would cause him not to be able to buy a house. It just shows negative on your credit report IF the state turned it in. It should also not be on YOUR credit. You could put your name first on the loan.

itssweetness

addisonmiacaleb
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I dont know what the laws are in the state you live. But in the state of Texas you will not be approved if you owe back child support.

Ssgtadkinswife
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I'M FROM TEXAS  AND THEY WILL HOLD OUT BACK OWED CHILD SUPPORT FROM YOUR WORK CHECKS AND MOST OF THE TIME THEY WILL TAKE YOUR TAXES TO PAY OFF THE DEBT ,BUT, NO YOU WON'T BE APPROVED TO GET A HOUSE WITH THAT ON HIS CREDIT!!

MrsArnett
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 12:57 AM

he has 2 different childern with 2 differnt woman . and yes she got asstaince while the child was not in her home she even got someone to scam with a home daycare and she got help with daycare for the child without having her. the only thing she didnt get was wic because the check out the childern. Like I said though the case is closed basically I have adopted the little girl she is 6 yrs old now

Quoting army_wife_06:

natasia61589
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 9:01 AM

If he has a judgement against him for the amount it will be on his credit and therefore probably impossible to get a house. Sorry. but if it's not on there no problem. Also before you do get a house you need to consider if you can really afford that. you have to remember the morgage, homeowners insurance(it's required by the lender), untilites, closing cost, down payment, deposits, you paying for repairs... ect. there are just a lot of costs involved. Maybe you could find a company that does a rent to own thing that way you dont have some of those costs,it is usually way easier to get approved, and that way if you ever need to move you dont have to worry about selling it.

Mom2SavRynShai
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 11:24 AM

If he owes back support it will be on his credit, they can garnish his wages, take his tax returns, and it can prevent him from getting both a house and car and they can revoke his driver's license. This is happening to my ex right now, he just got a conditional license to drive to and from work, I got his tax returns and he hasn't been able to buy a house and the loan officer told him its because he owes back support (he owed over 10k at the time). Your hubby needs to clear that up before anything. And if BM got assistance for the kid she didn't have you can have fraud charges filed against her and the daycare that assisted her in the fraud. Good luck momma. FYI just for your info (not looking for any bad mouthing) anything over $5k owed in back support is a Federal Misdemeanor, anything over $10k owed is a Federal Felony.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN