Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW SAFE IS THIS FOR A NEWBORN NEEDS HELP ASAP!

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:26 AM
  • 190 Replies

Ok so I have noticed how much car seats are really going up in price. I went to walmart today to find a infant one because docs say my daughter will be here any day. Well I wanted one that was for both sex or pink. The cheapest one they had was $75!! and it was blue, the winnie the pooh was I think was 80 or 90!! I couldnt believe that I cant afford that right now! But they had that pink flower convirtible car seat for $45. It says for babies 5lbs+ so... is it safe for a new born??

Also I was wondering if you can take a newborn home from the hospital in a infant car seat with out the base? I have my sons old car seats but not the bases to them we never used them. I asked my OB but she said she didnt know.

pregnancy

Been kicked out or booted out of another group? COME JOIN US!!!

WE WON'T KICK YOU OUT!

http://www.cafemom.com/groups/drake12308
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RyansMommy7507
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:28 AM

no they will not let you come home without the base. However the other one should work fine

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

mommytwothree
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:29 AM

no u do not need the base to take home the baby.well at lest in the state of OHIO

dragonflykiss44
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:30 AM

all i'm gonna say is, youve got 2 totally different answers already. call the L&D in the hosp and ask them. they will know 

RyansMommy7507
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:31 AM

I had to have it at my hospital . It may just depend on yours. Call up there and double check to be safe

ilovedrake4ever

I guess since its different for every state ill have to ask. Any ideas of who would really know?

pregnancy

WE WON'T KICK YOU OUT!

midgewits

As far as I know, u do not need the base. Google your states laws on carseats.

tiffanysgirls
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:33 AM
I didnt need the base to get my DD home. I would call the hospital and ask.
laurenday5
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM

That's what I was going to say.

As far as getting a new carseat, look at prices online (KMart is surprisingly inexpensive). You can do price comparison, check out the specs, consumer reviews, recalls and find what it is that you really want. I recommend a convertible carseat, because you can use it from infant to toddler.

Quoting dragonflykiss44:

all i'm gonna say is, youve got 2 totally different answers already. call the L&D in the hosp and ask them. they will know 

Rachie7987
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM

A convertable one should be safe. Read the age and weight requirements on the car seat.

In Delaware, when you leave the hospital, by law, the hospital can't check the carseat. It's insane! When I had my son, i was all prepared to have them check the carseat when my son was going home but the nurse couldn't even help my husband get the baby in the car seat due to legal issues. I thought it was so weird! There shouldn't be a problem with them releasing you LO.

BTW, I'm wishing you a wonderful labor and delivery experience! I hope it's fast and painless! Good luck!

ilovedrake4ever
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:36 AM

I would if the closest Kmart wasnt almost an hour away. I dont have a card either for online purchasing. So then that pink cosco from walmart would work to bring her home in?? It just looks so straight up and like she would fall forward because she cant hold her head.

Quoting laurenday5:

That's what I was going to say.

As far as getting a new carseat, look at prices online (KMart is surprisingly inexpensive). You can do price comparison, check out the specs, consumer reviews, recalls and find what it is that you really want. I recommend a convertible carseat, because you can use it from infant to toddler.

Quoting dragonflykiss44:

pregnancy

WE WON'T KICK YOU OUT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)