Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor baby boy!

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:40 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hi Ladies!
I need advice. My 11 month old son has had a runny nose for two weeks and we figured it was allergies. He started coughing last Thursday though so I took him to his doctor (plus they've been scaring us with this swine flu thing here in Houston). They tested him for influenza and he was negative and said he had a mild ear infection/allergies. She put him on an antibiotic and allegra and an inhaler. Well that was last week and this week the cough has finally almost gone away but he is congested like crazy! He can barely drink a bottle because he just can't breathe through his nose. I'm currently using a cool air humidifier and a waterless vicks vaporizer thing that just uses the refill pads. I have his crib tilted at an angle to at least let gravity work for us. If he sleeps horizontally he almost drowns in snot. I've tried the saline drops too, he won't let me do it. He freaks out too bad. He spiked a 102 fever Wednesday, after being on antibiotics for 5 days. That's not good, right? He's not gotten back up that high again since then but it's staying at low grade. I'm not concerned about the low grade fever because he's teething ferociously too. On top of everything else. My poor baby. I felt so bad for him after breakfast this morning, he was gasping between bites. But he ate, thank goodness. I went ahead and sucked out his nose with the nasal aspirator thing I had. It helped some, but it scares him sooo bad. He's playing now, but having to breathe through his mouth again. Is there anything else I could be doing? Any advice would be appreciated.
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SouthALMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:01 AM

My pedi won't give me anything else to do with my little man besides the humidifier and everything non-medication. Oh and mine was sick for a couple weeks, well for a few days, and his allergies are now bothering him. I wish there was more the both of us could do for our little ones.

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

mollycat03
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM
thanks for replying. I know! I was a little shocked when she gave us the allegra. It really doesn't seem to do anything but knock him out for a good nap. Which is great at this point. The inhaler is amazing for clearing up chest crackles. BUT like everything else, he hates it. ;-) our poor snotty boys...
fcangel9
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM

your doing everything you can for the little guy... just keep doing what your doing and he will feel better soon.  Have you been using the nose sucker on him to help with the congestion?

mollycat03
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Yep. The nose sucker helps but he hates it. You have to hold him down to do it effectively.
SouthALMommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Around my house it takes two to do that sucker thing. One to hold him down, the other to hold his head with one hand and suck. Then when it's all over with you have to comfort a crying baby who would then have more snot in the nose from crying.

Quoting mollycat03:

Yep. The nose sucker helps but he hates it. You have to hold him down to do it effectively.

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

mollycat03
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:52 PM
Yep. That sounds like my house. He seems to be ok as the day goes on. It's got to be allergies because I can't stop sneezing. Like mother, like son I guess. ;-)
Quoting SouthALMommy:

Mom2princessq
by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Poor little Man Feel better soon....

alyssas-mommy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:05 PM

i know that they make the naseal thing that is ran by battry maybe that can help that way you can just suck it out ?

ABOmom
by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Quoting mollycat03:

The only advice I would give is to be careful with the nose sucker. The body naturally produces mucus as a defense mechanisim. The more mucus you suck out the more the body will produce to over compensate...just make sure you are using it sparingly. Hope the poor thing feels better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)