Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Proofing a Dishwasher??? HELP!

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM
  • 24 Replies

DD (18 months) won't stay out of the dishwasher.  Wether there is stuff in it or not she won't leave it alone!  If I'm not standing right there holding it shut she will get into it.  Before you say, "just lock it," she is tall enough to unlock it.  She even turns it on and runs.  Yes, she is a handful, I just took video of her getting up ontop of the dining room table when I was only 3ft away.  She doesn't fall, she has great balance but she just won't listen.  I have to stand over here all the time! 

*forgot to mention* She climbs baby gates!  We have the taller ones (which I can't just climb over because I'm short) and she climbs them.  I can't stack them to block off the kitchen because one entry is only half, there's a bar there.  She won't do time outs.  I have to either hold her there or there's a two hour struggle to get her to sit still for even 30 sec.  She's very hard headed already.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dosthepost
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Well, I just block off our kitchen with a baby gate. I have a lot of cleaning chemicals (no I don't want to hear about your organic compromises, LOL), and I put them all in the kitchen. The cabinet doors are child proofed, but come one... if my kid can open an infant tylenol bottle she can open a cabinet door. So she's blocked off from the ENTIRE kitchen. She has free run of the rest of the house. Our dishwasher doesn't even have a lock, LOL. I had forgotten that most do!

JENNY195
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Your dishwasher lock must be unique..or atleast diiferent from the ones ive seen...mine you have to push the button in really hard 3 times before it un locks..bc obviously i was gonna say just lock it..lol. is there a way to maybe use a baby gate or the things that are like play yards but they have the baby gate material and you change the size ( i forget what they are called) they are for older children.   as for your daughter climbing on the table, i think thats a curiosity thing as well...i wonder though if she didnt think she was being cute since you were getting her on video....my kids are like that...they see a camera n get super silly....

tippymorgan08
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Quoting dosthepost:

Well, I just block off our kitchen with a baby gate. I have a lot of cleaning chemicals (no I don't want to hear about your organic compromises, LOL), and I put them all in the kitchen. The cabinet doors are child proofed, but come one... if my kid can open an infant tylenol bottle she can open a cabinet door. So she's blocked off from the ENTIRE kitchen. She has free run of the rest of the house. Our dishwasher doesn't even have a lock, LOL. I had forgotten that most do!

We have most rooms gated off too, and the stairway of course.

As for chemicals, all of ours are up high in our utility room ... nowhere in the house.

BEXi
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I have a gate that blocks off the kitchen, but when my 17mo IS in there with me, he goes straight for the dishwasher. I was at walmart the other day and they had a child proof dishwasher lock. It wasnt expensive at all.

Click to Join!

ksinclair
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:41 AM

As the others stated, you will most likely have to put up a baby gate.  They make straps for refrigerators, and that may work, but the heat from the dishwasher might loosen the tape.  My son is finally getting to the age (he just turned 2) that he is understanding not to touch certain things, but I still put the baby gate up at the kitchen if I'm not in there, or with him.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
afk9wife
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM

HAHA. Yea my DD is also 18 months and she does the same thing. I could have all the dishes cleaned and dry and then all of a sudden she turns it on again. I get so frustrated. I have to unlock it so she cant run it but with it being unlocked, she opens it. I have no idea what to do either.

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I added, she climbs the baby gates.  Also, we live in military housing so we are only supose to use the stuff that sticks on, no screws.

dosthepost
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Quoting tippymorgan08:

Quoting dosthepost:

We have most rooms gated off too, and the stairway of course.

As for chemicals, all of ours are up high in our utility room ... nowhere in the house.

Oh yes, if I had an outdoor building to put them I most definetely would, LOL. The best I have is a small closet in the bathroom and the little cubby that my washer and dryer are in, which is located in my kitchen.

OP, does your daughter know what 'hot' is? Anything that hurts my daughter, to her, is hot. I'm ok with that, b/c that means if she tries to touch the dishwasher, light sockets, things of that nature, I can say "no no, that's hot", and she leaves it alone.

Also, I'm wondering how those toilet lid locks work. Maybe you could turn it to work on the dishwasher? It would look hilarious, but it would keep your daughter from playing with knives. I got lucky with mine, she's timid and scared of EVERYTHING... poor thing. She got that from me. The worst she tries is pulling all of the videos off of the bookshelf, LOL.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

We have a little rubber lock that clips to the side of the dishwasher and then sticks to the front.

I got my son a stool and he started helping me unload and load the cutlery and other dishes when he was around that age. Since it wasn't something so exciting, he stopped playing with it. He still likes to sort the cutlery and help me, but he locks it up after himself LOL

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

dosthepost
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Kellileanne:

I added, she climbs the baby gates.  Also, we live in military housing so we are only supose to use the stuff that sticks on, no screws.

Have you tried stacking 2 gates? We have to do that for our Pit Bull when she's all wet and has to stay in the kitchen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)