Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler leash..... good idea or not??

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM
  • 26 Replies

My MIL has a toddler leash that she uses for my son when they go for a walk.... I'm not sure what my opinion of it is. I know it can be a good idea, especially for a child with TONS of energy who loves to run around, but I can't help think it looks like a leash for a dog!  I know its better to have one, then end up with a dead child though.... What's your opinion of it? Do you have one? Would you use it for your child? I could really use some advice!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angie729
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Well my youngest is five and I had one for him. When my older two were little we went to Silver Dollar City and my middle son who was almost four got away and got lost. It was so scarey for him and me after that it was straight to the store to buy one. My five year old had one for and it came in very handy when we went to six flags and places like that.

IMSOPROUD
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I HAVE ONE FOR MY DS HES 2 AND A HALF AND I love it!!!!!! its is a really great thing to have, he doesnt like to sit for too long so i can let him walk and i dont have to fight with him to hold my hand, and they are really strong too....here a pic of the one i got at walmart for 10 bucks...my op, a must have for toddlers on the go!!!!

StarsChildren
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:43 AM

i have had one for my 3 year old son since before he was a year. its a monkey one, he loves it. will wear it no matter where we are. i think its good to have them, if its more like the kid walking you then you walking the kid cuz you never know, they could run out in the street, someone could pick them up and walk off, and so on. but jmo

sk_tennyson

Its not a leash.

It's a harness.

I stated my opinion on the subject in the other safety harness post.

luvmyaustin

not for me in my opinion but whatever works for you and yours is fine with me!!!

mrsfitz05
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

My little girl started walking at 10 months and at nearly 13 months, she's full on running but has only limited understanding of discipline and how to hold someone's hand at all times. I debated and debated before we got one but we did and I'm glad of it. I'd much rather her have on a backpack and be getting exercise than be sitting fat in a stroller until she can learn to walk on one regularly. We only use it at the zoo (we go alot) and such where we will be out and about and she'll want to walk alot.

Here's a pic of hers: 

I had my mom sew on a bow so it would be girly! And yes, she's kissing the Panda...

CafeMom Tickers

Amybelle
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

like people  have said in other Harness posts.  It's not much different than "Strapping" them down in a stroller. I think they are fine. 

wells75904
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I have one, and I LOVE it, its so nice for when we go places where my 13mo old would want to walk, like the zoo, I am not ashamed to use it, its GREAT!

I am a PROUD Vaccinating, Circumcising, Spanking, TROOP SUPPORTING, CIO,  FORWARD Facing, republican, disposable diapering, buying junk food with food stamps, Public school sending, PRO LIFE under ALL circumstances (abortion is murder), anti-gay marriage, Israel Supporting, Christian SAHM mom who knows the bible is literal truth from cover to cover.  I don't tip unless you EARN it, you don't get a tip just because you don't make that much money so learn to wait on me good or find another job with a guaranteed income, I think the war in Iraq was justified and we should finish, I dont like Obama but I am patriotic enough to respect his office, None of this makes me a bad mama any more than your decisions make you one.

BEXi
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Who cares what it looks like? Its an extra source of safety.

Momyletha
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I have one (a dog instead of the monkey) LOVE it. I knew I would want one ever since I saw my SIL use one with my niece. I haven't had anyone say anything mean about it yet but have had a few people ask about it and little girl say something like "he has the same doggy as me mommy!" That was the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)