Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Castor Oil to help Labor start??

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM
  • 40 Replies

Ok so I am due to be induced next week and am really wanting to see if I can make it happen before then. I heard Castor oil is good to make contractions come on. Does any one have experience with this and did it work for you? How were the side effects? Did it cause any issues for the baby?

Does anyone have nay other ideas to try as well. I have done some walking, sex, and some spicy foods but not much. Any special sexual positions that may help or other tricks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsallabtthem84
by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM

The side affects stink. I would not recommend this option at all. You will have the sh*ts & sometimes may not make it to the bathroom. Good luck if you do.

3armycuties
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:00 PM

So I have heard about Castor oil but it's more like a 50-50 shot. With sex, it's all about the sperm. There's something in there that starts labor so no position is better or worse. Good luck momma. With my group, one I walked out, and the other two were to impatient and came 4 weeks early. Good luck momma!

IloveHayden08
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:01 PM

you will just make yourself really sick!! try walking a lot and having sex

canthaveboys1
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I do not recommend this. I tried it when pregnant with my 5 y/o and it just made me throw up and have the $hits. It did nothing good. 

nokesmomof2

ive never tried the castrol oil but i wouldnt recommend it

have kids born in 06&08 come join my group please
http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsof06and08
B_L_LSMOMMY

PUT DOWN THE CASTOR OIL!! LOL It doesn't really work I don't think. Just makes you sick and even more miserable. There are lots of old wise tales to start labor like... moving furniture...riding over bumpy railroad tracks. lol ummm....as far as sexual positions... I have always been told by the DR. that it isn't really the position it's the orgasm and the sperm that causes the labor. (SOMETIMES) It's not a proven fact that it will work FOR SURE. BUT an orgasm expands down there and USUALLY starts contractions. So I would just do whatever position or sexual thing that causes you to have the biggest O! Good luck!

mommytoG

Either you will get really bad gas like I did or have nast poops, the cramps from the poop are supposed to bring it on. Let you baby come on its own

fcangel9

my sister did castor oil with 2 of her kids.  both time she would walk a mile first, then come home and take the castor oil.  she would go into labor that night.  dont know if she had to poop alot of not... im assuming she didnt eat a whole lot before she took it.

connorsmama06
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:04 PM

My sister did this and it put her in to labor. I walked a lot and did squats. It works. Good luck.

WilliamsMama08
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Do not use the Castor oil...lol you will feel like shit.  No pun intended.  Sex-the sperm has a natural chemical in it to induce labor.  Walk.  Just move around.  Congrats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)