Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

21 weeks pregnant, never had a prob b4 w/ high blood pressure, NOW I do??!!

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, yesterday I had a Dr's appt.  My normal OBGYN Doc moved to a different office, so I got stuck w/ his nurse practioner.

1st, my day starts off with an appt. at my endocrynologist (I have hypothyroidism). They take my blood pressure there and it was (I think) 119/62, they said was fine. Then, I leave there to go to the hospital to preregister for admission, to make sure I get a private room and all later on.  They tell me about all the money that needs to be paid before we ultimately leave the hospital on the day of baby's birth. It seems like ALOT to me!  Anyhoo, after that I had my next appt. @ OBGYN's office, for my 3rd sono, followed by a visit w/ the nurse practioner.  The sono goes great!  He said the baby's brain looks great, he has a little bit of a big head, (so do I, runs on my side of family) lol, he said he looks like he's physically a little ahead of his growth expectations, no biggie, he's just probably going to be a bigger baby.  My husband and I leave the room feeling good having just seen our little guy and hear he's doing great.  Then, they hurry to put me in an exam room like the n.p. is ready to see me soon, my husband goes on home.  They could have just let me go sit in the waiting room for a little while until she really was ready. NOoooo, instead they rush me off to an exam room and have me wait for her there for about 40 minutes!  I have things to do, right?? I have people waiting on me to go do their own things by certain times, and I'm sitting in an exam room waiting on the slowest n.p. in the world.

Anyway, she finally comes in there and first thing she does of course is take my blood pressure. This time, it turns out it's 144/82!  She immediately retakes it and it went down a smidge. Then, she says she'll be right back and leaves the room. She sends a different nurse in to retake it again, and it's starting to go down a little more. This lady says the n.p. will be back soon.  I wait another 10 minutes, and a different nurse (3rd nurse now) comes in and kinda scared me. The door was loud when it's opened quickly, just got me a little startled. SHE then takes it too!  This time, it's back up. That nurse leaves and 5 minutes later, the n.p. finally comes back.  She starts telling me what's going on, and just mentions the word (pardon my spelling) "preclampsia" and that word just stuck in my head and I'm not really listening to rest of what she's saying very much.  She does also mention in a "by the by" kind of way, that my blood pressure is not high enough to worry about stroke, or heart attack "yet", but just in case, she wants me to come back in next week to check on it again. Says that I should go to the store and get a blood pressure monitor for at home, and she's also going to get the Dr. (not mine) to write a script for b.p. medicine.  I'm rattled at this point, having never had problems with my blood pressure before, and now... there's a problem?! 

For any of you other mothers reading this, (thank you by the way bcs I know it's rather lengthy) have you experienced something like this too? Or, do you know someone who has?  I did go get a monitor for at home, and I'm getting the medicine today, but I'd really like to hear from some moms that can tell me I don't really need to be so worried.

Thank you for your time,

by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM

i never had a problem with BP until i was 7 mths prego with my oldest. i had pre e, high blood pressure and GD . ALL detected at 7 mths. aahh! jsut watch what youre doing, watch your weight as that can make it worst and watch your BP. I was put on a diet and it helped clear all of it but was checked every day for like 2 weeks.

with my lil guy i didnt have it but had HELLP Syndrome and was close to dying. had him early. he was 6 mths old and i started having chest pains and had extremly high blood pressure. As of then i have been on a Beta Blocker for my BP and it helps A LOT! best of luck!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM

My blood pressure started going up in my 8th month. I eventually got put on bed rest for 2 weeks and then they induced me 10 days early because they said my blood pressure was like a ticking time bomb and they didn't want me to be home over the weekend. They were afraid it would get too high. I too had never had a problem with high blood pressure. Now my daughter is 19 mths and it is still high. Finally got myself to a family doctor and she placed me on blood pressure medicine and since hubby & I are trying for another baby she said that when I do get pregnant I will be considered high risk. Great! 

by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I also never had problems w/high blood pressure until I was pregnant w/my 3rd. Everytime throughout the pregnancy that I went to my dr. appts it just kept getting higher. Finally at 36 wks pregnant I went for my check up and my bp was 190/98 so I was sent to the hospital to be "watched" well it just kept going up. 190/122 all these alarms were going off and I was scared! They ended up doing a csection a few hrs later. After that my bp went back to normal. They think I was having the early stages of Preaclamsia (sp?) I hope everything goes ok for you and your baby!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM

SO's mother had it and he's fine he was 7 lbs7 oz and she had him at 37 weeks. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure as long as you keep up with your meds, stay away from salt, and try to keep'll be fine.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM

they didnt make you lay on your left side for a few and then re take it?

Mine went up like that before in my other pregnancy and they had me lay on my side and it was fine then

by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I also never had high blood pressure until I was around 35 weeks pregnant.  I am also suprised that the nurse didn't tell you to lay on your left side for a while.  That helps lower the blood pressure.  I was put on bed rest the last two weeks of the pregnancy.  I had to watch my salt intake and put my feet up.  I didn't have preeclampsia (they checked several times).  I had my DD one week early.  Everything ended up being fine.  Try not to worry, but make sure if they tell you to put your feet up, make sure you do it!  My doctor caught me at work when I was supposed to be off and she yelled at me and told me that if I didn't keep my feet up she was going to admit me into the hospital.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)