Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old are your kids when left outside?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM
  • 26 Replies

What is the average age, where it's ok to let your kids play outside by theirself. Ofcourse w/you inside the house peeping out on them. But, i ask this b/c  my friend had her four year old out by himself all day and when i said something she said that is an appropriate age to let them outside. I just didn't know if i was over exagerating or not? I have an almost four year old and no way in a million years would he be out without adult supervision.... I just think it's crazy..

by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JLynn0871
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:19 PM

From a mother for over 21 years, peek ALOT at ALL ages...LOL

I actually still look in on my 11 yr old every 5 to 10 minutes because he is a tree climber.

JudeandLucy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM

IMO 4 years old is definitely NOT old enough. In my neighborhood there are kids as young as 2 and 3 running around outside by themselves. I think the parents figure since their kids are playing with the older ones that it's ok...

I don't know what an appropriate age is though...all I know is my kids don't go out alone and won't for some time. They're 5 and 3, btw.

bellydancer7308
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I think age, maturity level, and location come into play with this situation.  We dont let our 10yo out unsupervised...we live in a nice neighborhood but he's a very naive 10yo.  We have let him outside unsupervised with our friends son who is almost 13.  IMO 4yo is way to young to be unsupervised in any location.

preetynpink
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM

my kids are 6 and 4 and i wont let them play outside by themselves until they get much older, there is to many sickos out there these days  to let them go out side unsupervised, not even for a minute, some one could come snatch them up and u would never see them again ,that's my worst fear!!

Earth-Angel
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM

My kids are 10 and 4 and they play outside by themselves all of the time!

Earth-Angel

momoftwo0720
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I have a four year old and i don't let her outside even if it's just right inside our gate. We live on a army base and i think things could still happen. She don't know danger yet. Look at all the kids on the news that are way older then her and still stuff happens. I am right out there with her every minute she is out there. I am a worrier so i don't know if this is normal or what. I just don't want anything to happen to my little girl.  

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM

My oldest is going to be 5 next month and I will not let her play out alone.  We live in a rual area so I am not so much concerned that someone will take her as I am that she will get hurt.  She will sometimes just get an idea about something and go do it.  I have to be out there to let her know if she is doing something dangerous.  Maybe next year if she learns to stay where I tell her she can play she can go out alone for short periods, but we will have to see.  I really think its going to be a couple of years before she goes out alone. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

bkek1997
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM

uh oh! I made a post like this once and had my butt BASHED!!!

I let my children  Boys 6 & 3) play unattended in a fenced back yard. I let my 6 year old play out side in the front yard- while peeking. We live in a "safe" town and on a culdesac with little traffic.

It all depends on you, your chilrden, where you live ect.

Bets85
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I let my 4yr old play outside alone. I got a fenced in back yard and 50 ft from the other side on my fence in the police station....... He cant go no where except my back yard and usually except for the mishap this morning thanx to my stupid DH he is safe. My parents who live way out in the country let him play outside there house alone too....... but its not like i throw him out there never to check on him I look out about every 15mins and i got a 13 yr old SD that is usually out there too..... I worry more about her than I do him!

infantrychick
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Roll on the bashing.

I allow my 4 year olds to play in our completely fenced in yard by themselves.  The door and all the windows overlooking the yard are open, and I am in that room (usually cooking lunch or dinner).  Also, my dog is always out with them.  He is a professionally trained guard dog, and my kids' best friend.  In my opinion they are completely supervised, as I can see them at all times, I'm just not in the yard with them.

It is my personal opinion that the reason so many women have self-esteem problems is because we're all such judgemental bitches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)