Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Wives

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

I just wanted to make a post to let everyone know that not all military wives believe that the world owes them something.  On May 12 I will celebrate eight years of marriage and eight years of being an Air Force spouse.  I made the decision to marry someone in the military and I never looked at it as a "perk".  I loved him and I was excited for the adventure we were about to start on together.  We have moved to three different bases in our time together and yeah it's stressful, but we knew our life would be stressful.

My husband doesn't make a lot of money but there are lots of other people who work in important and dangerous jobs and they don't get paid nearly enough either.  My father has been a cop for 20 years and I can't believe how little he makes for what he does.  He works in the jail but did patrol for two years.  Any day my father could be killed for doing his job.  He endures hate and prejudice every day and never complains. 

Not all military wives pitch a fit when a store or theme park doesn't give them a discount.  If there is one I will use it and thank the person for doing it, because it really is a nice thing for them to do.  I never expect it to happen or complain when it doesn't.  Sure we usually live far away from our families and consider ourselves lucky if we make it back once a year, but we chose this life.  Most people in the military work crappy hours, deal with assholes everyday, and have their plans ruined, but so do civilians. 

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that most of us view this as our lives and that's that.  My husband is the same way, he actually gets uncomfortable when people thank him for his service, or when my dad brags about his "son" in the Air Force.  He sees it as his job and he doesn't need appreciation to do it.  I am so proud of my husband and not just because he is in the military, but because of the man he is.  He is a wonderful father and an amazing husband who does what he has to to support his family.

I have been through a deployment and it sucked.  I was sick for a good chunk of it with a sinus infection and bronchitis.  I had a couple of friends who could help but for the most part I was on my own.  I can honestly say I developed a HUGE appreciation for single mamas.  I was alone for four months and was exhausted by the end.  It's hard being mommy and daddy and doing everything on your own. 

If I offend any other military wives with this post, but I am tired of women who think every one should bow down and kiss their feet because of what they go through.  Other women go through the same things and get no recognition or praise at all.  We chose to make those sacrifices for our spouses, no one made us do it. 

by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamad122
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Wow! I really do appreciate every one of our soldiers and their spouses but I have to say that I did not even reply to some of the posts today by military wives b/c it perturbed me.

But thank you for choosing the life you did!

goodson_2008
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I agree with your post, I made the decision to marry my husband knowing what I was getting into. I  made the right choice although like you said it can be stressful, I would not take back anything.

I dont hate those women but dislike the ones who think just because their husband/wifes are in the military that they are higher than others that just pisses me off

Wife to the most wonderful,brave military man Josh and proud Mommy to my sweet little boy Jayden :)

Earth-Angel
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Thanks 4 saying all of that and not being conceited about being a military wife! And, mothers do and should get recognition for their hard work and dedication to their families and supporting their dh's now matter what filled of work they are in and if the mothers are out there working themselves! "ALL" Mothers!  So, Happy Mother's Day to you and "ALL" Mothers!

Earth-Angel

mz_erica03
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:02 PM

You couldn't have expressed your feelings any better for us to read. Thanks for sharing and Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies :)

gnr
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I just got online so I'm a little confused about what all the fuss is about  But to all those military wives out there, your in my thoughts.  I can't imagine being in your position. 

Ssgtadkinswife
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I just wanted to say THANKS TO ALL MOTHERS AND WHAT THEY ENDURE IN THEIR LIVES!!!

Ssgt. Adkins Wife!!!

darbie2008
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM

i do agree with you ...but i must say i do miss some of the perks ...i grew up military so it was now surprise that i married  a miltary man twice ...its just something that i was used to and to me there wa snother way to live ..now that my hubby is out and has been out in the civilian world for three years now i still find it hard out here away form all the conections i made so easiely with the other wives ..yes his new corprate job pays nice  but the wives around the office are a whole nother breed to me ...but yes sometimes things seemed to be taken to far ...but i do aprciate what all mil personal and their families doo and i do belive that cop and firefirghter wives and other wives in other jobs do not get enough credit bc they are doing the same thing holding the family together and sometimes the whole squade or firehouse too so i would like to give credit wher it is overdue to all the other wives out erhe

infantrychick
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Well personally, I think my husband's PT-stud-training-for-SF selection bod is a perk!

Haha, I agree.  It's my Army life, and I love it.

It is my personal opinion that the reason so many women have self-esteem problems is because we're all such judgemental bitches.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Very well said and, yes, there are people with dangerous lives that aren't even considered.

From the police officer that risks his life everyday to the construction worker standing on the beam of a high rise to build someone a home or place to live.

People risk their lives every single day in many different walks of life with little to no appreciation from others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)