Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is embarrassing......What would you do....

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM
  • 66 Replies

My son(whos is three years old) manages to embarrass me allll the time...he always makes comments about people when they are standing right there and they can clearly hear.

For example: Today, there were three ladies sitting next to us at a restaurant...he pointed at the lady and said twice, "that lady right there talks like a man."

Today, at the park, the little girl swinging next to us had red dots all over her body ( I have no clue what they were) and he said looking and pointing at her "that girl has pimples all over her body"

One time he pointed out that a girl had dirty teeth.....

What do you do when your children do this?  Do you ignore them or do you tell them right then that it's not good to say that stuff?  I have just been ignoring him, but I don't know if that's what I should do.  Just looking for some advice...it needs to stop!!!!!  It's so embarrassing!!!!!!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ayschia_markie
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM

How old is your son?

yayay15
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM

He is three

Quoting ayschia_markie:

How old is your son?

nikkiJ86
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM

You need to correct him then and there.

Ethansmom85
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:35 PM

im not at that stage yet...but I couldnt help but laugh hysterically...

...I guess it wont be so funny once it happens to me but lol damn...

heres a bump for you

PrissyKrissy05
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Tell him it is not nice to say things like that about people.

Quoting nikkiJ86:

You need to correct him then and there.

pregnant belly pregnant belly

spcjones203

Teach him that those are not nice things to say and that if he can't say anything nice, then he can't say anything at all and will have to leave the store/restaurant/etc until he can say nice things. Removing him from the situation repeatedly, especially if it's something HE wants to do, will help the lesson sink in.

I am a formula feeding, early solid starting, vaccinating, CIO, NEVER co-sleeping, future spanking, discipline instilling, early reading starting, early ASL starting, veteran of two Operation Iraq Freedom deployments still serving Active Duty Soldier who is the proud wife of another Army man and adoring mother of the most handsome baby boy in the entire world (Just ask me).

yayay15

LOL, yeah I mean it's funny b/c he is only three and he is not being mean about it...he is just pointing out the obvious...and it's hard not to laugh sometimes but the ladies today...were definitely NOT laughing...I felt soooo stupid!!!

Quoting Ethansmom85:

im not at that stage yet...but I couldnt help but laugh hysterically...

...I guess it wont be so funny once it happens to me but lol damn...

heres a bump for you

reynab23
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM
My sisters son still does that and he's almost 8. We still can't get him to stop. Now my 4 year old does it. The other day she said "Whoa that lady was fat!" We were next to the lady still, I just told her to shut-up. She then did it again when she saw a man(I fogot what she said about the man tho). I don't know what to do.
s.t.e.p.h
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM

You need to correct him as soon as it comes out of his mouth. He needs to know that what he is doing is hurtful and very disrespectful. You also need to make sure that he apologizes to anyone that he makes rude comments to. As the parent, it is your job to nip this in the butt now or its only going to get worse.

((*Steph-23 year old stay at home momma to my 3 March babies:Elijah,Brayden and Hannah. I'm a formula feeding,vaxing,anti-cio,disposable diapering,sometimes co-sleeping,living life to the fullest, happily married momma. Love it or hate it, this is who I am.

yayay15
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I always feel sooo stupid when he does it and I don't want to keep bringing attention to us, so I haven't said anything at that moment...but I think it's a good idea to pick him up and walk away and then tell him...I didn't even think of that...sometimes in the moment of things, I just can't think properly!!!

Quoting spcjones203:

Teach him that those are not nice things to say and that if he can't say anything nice, then he can't say anything at all and will have to leave the store/restaurant/etc until he can say nice things. Removing him from the situation repeatedly, especially if it's something HE wants to do, will help the lesson sink in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)