Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kind of controvercial. PLEASE DONT BASH. just curious.

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM
  • 76 Replies
ok before i get into it i want to say please dont bash me in any way shape or form. im a super cool, super active member here and give tons of advice where i can. im not an evi;l baby killing nazi and dont think anyone should treat me that way. so if you dont have something nice, educated, and polite to say please do me this favor:
step 1. open microsoft word
step 2. type everything u want to say about me there
step 3. close it and dont save.
and there. u let it out. and no one got hurt

ok so on with it....i totally agree that extended rear facing is the way to go. i totally understand its safer and yes i have seen all the youtube videos. i myself still rear face lorelai and she is 13 months and 23 lbs. i plan on rear facing her for a little while more. this is where i need a little advice. i am not gonna rf her till shes 3 or anything like that because ive seen those weird pics of the kids with their legs straight up on the backseat and it creeps me out for a number of reasons, but thats irrelevant. my question is......in terms of the whole "internal decapitation" thing because of a toddler not having a developed and strong enough spinal cord, when do they get a strong enough spinal cord to safely ride forward? i know that if i got into an accident i wouldnt internally decapitate. do when do they cross the line from not ok to ok to ride forward. and i dont mean the opinion of a rf nazi mom who will tell me when they reach the weight capacity for riding rear. im thinking of turning my daughter around at about 2 yrs old. maybe a little sooner depending on her height and leg growth.

and in case anyone is wondering i have a super fancy and expensive britax car seat so i think shes a lot safer riding forward then some other kids in dangerous car seats. i dont know if it makes a difference or not in regards to the post/question but i thought id put it out there.

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drinkme8184
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM

hmm... I dont know.  bump

If today is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square mils of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two square miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil, add twenty-seven hundred tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population by 263,000.

nikkiJ86
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Quoting drinkme8184:

hmm... I dont know.  bump

Buggy979
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:20 PM

ok I will keep a shout mouth but first I thought I was aloud to say what I feel. But shhhhhhhhhhhhhh op wants quiet!

nikkiJ86
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Since you had a bad opinion about her post,do you have an answer to her question.I'm kinda curious of the answer too.

Quoting Buggy979:

ok I will keep a shout mouth but first I thought I was aloud to say what I feel. But shhhhhhhhhhhhhh op wants quiet!

christina0607
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM

If you want to turn her at 2, thats fine. It's a personal choice. At that point yes she at much less risk of injury than she was at a year. Of course with every month and every pound the risk lessens. There is no date where anyone can tell you your child is perfectly safe in any position, in a moving vehicle. If you are in a car you are always taking a risk.

So again, its a personal choice as to when you rotate her seat. You do it when you feel comprtable with it.

LoveMyBugs
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Hmm... I'm not sure. That seems like a question for your Pediatrician though. My 2 year old is 26lb's and still RF though and she doesn't seem uncomfortable at all. My 4 year old is also RF but that is because she too is only 26lb's (she has a growth problem). I know that my 2 year old has enough muscle control that she could POSSIBLY withstand a car accident with little problem but my 4 year old has none. Good luck though!

Buggy979
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I think really it is personal decision. My girls where all facing forward by 12 months but if the parents decides other wise then so be it.

Quoting nikkiJ86:

Since you had a bad opinion about her post,do you have an answer to her question.I'm kinda curious of the answer too.

Quoting Buggy979:

acbbsmama
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I think the OP has a very valid question. I must admit I'm very curious to the answer too. When is it truly safe to forward face your LO? 

Tuf
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM

RF in a harness is always safer.  You just don't have the ability to RF once you are a certain height/weight.  As the kid is getting bigger you will just have to use your discretion as to weighing the pros and cons of RF and FF...safety vs. her perceived comfort vs. convenience (or whatever).   

ZombieBroad
by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM
well my pediatrician told me to turn her around at 1 yr because shes is in the 97th percentile or something like that. but i chose to keep her rf for now. i do dream and have to fight it every day not to turn her around. i drive a honda element that doesnt really have true doors to the back so i always have to climb in there with her to strap her rf. im afraid someone will see me vulnerable and try to rob me or steal my car or something like that as im dilly dallying in the back seat. my car also has a 5 star side impact crash rating so thats another factor making me want to turn her around. but then...u see those videos....you hear some of these moms.....and i think, if i turn her around and she gets hurt then its all my fauly. right?

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)