Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 more post. i have a lot to say tonight. 13 MONTHS HAVE COME AND GONE AND DD IS STILL NOT WALKING

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM
  • 32 Replies
WHY? she is so smart. she is so curious, inquisitive. shes tall, a good weight, 8lbs at birth. always been on track for everything....and then.....10 months...came and went. 11 months...came and went. surely by her 1st birthday party. nope. now 13 months and still not walking. further more she talks a whoooole lot of nonsence but doesnt speak real words. just babble. shouldnt she be saying like single word sentences by now? the most she does is hold onto things and walk along coffee tables and such. is this ok? why is she not walking yet? Ticker

by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Have you tried standing her in the middle of the room and bribing her with a toy in your hand, for her to walk over and get? Our DD did the same thing and then we tried what I suggested.  She would immediately try to get down and crawl but we said "Noooo, do walking." She would whine the whole time she walked over to us but it worked.  Oh! Try it in the grass or beach.  Our DD did not like the feel of the grass or sand on her hands or legs so she sort of was forced to walk that way.  Good luck!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Some kids don't walk until later. My nephew walked at about 15-16 mos.  I think they say normal time frame for walking is 9-18 mos. Some walk sooner ... some walk later.

As for talking ... Is she saying mama, dada, baba ... etc.?

I always suggest if you have any concerns about your childs development than you should discuss things with your pediatrician.

Every single kid is different. Just quit thinking about it and BAM she will start LOL. She is totally normal. My son is 18 months and says a few words, but other then that its not understandable.

oh mama give her time my girl did not walk till the day she turned 13 months and now  15 months she still does not say many words says maybe 5 or 6 then babbles a bunch. and my nease is 14 months and still does not walk around furnature or anything and barrly with your hands and shes 14 months she does not talk and has just now learned to crawl with her belly off the ground but is very slow crawling kids devolope at there own pace my daughter is very smart to but things happen when it time i guess keep working with her shell come around . my daughter showed no intressed in walking till the day she turned 13 months and she woke up and i put her on the floor and she starting walking and has not stopped.

by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM

When I was young I had a friend whose son was not walking at 17 months. She too was concerned but the dr.s were not.

At 18 months he just one day started walking.

For the talking, my son only said a total of 3 words until he turned 2 years old. Once he turned two he took right off.

Just be patient. If the dr's not worried then just relax. She will walk and talk when she is ready.

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

by on May. 8, 2009 at 10:54 PM
well...she doesnt say mama. i dont know what she calls me. she usually just screams in my directions like "yaaaaaa" she says "dad" or at least we think she doesn. but mainly she speaks nonsense. like she doesnt look at her dad and say "dad" she just sits playing with her toys and says "da" to them. she says "ya, si, this" stuff like that but i dont think she is meaning to say any of it, i just think shes making noise with her mouth and it sounds like english to us. Ticker

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:09 PM

It's TOTALLY fine.  She might just be a cautious kid.  My son will be 1 in a few days.  He just started really walking last week and the only words he says are HI and HEY!  And I know he's 100% great.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:13 PM

The average age children begin to walk is between 13-15 months. She may just be scared to let go of the objects shes holding onto. I would practice with her everyday by letting her stand while you hold her hands. Let go and see what she does. Do it often, try to encourage her that shes doing well and standing/walking is a fun thing! I did this with my son and he eventually would stop sitting down as I let go and just stood there like "okay, whats next?" then soon he started trying taking steps to get ahold of my hands, and I would slowly back away kind of forcing him to walk farther to get to me. As soon as he realized he could do it, there was no turning back! Good luck and dont beat yourself up. <3

by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:14 PM

My son will be 16 months in 2 weeks. He's not walking yet either. He can't stand on his own either. He can cruise and walk with his push toy or holding my hand, but crawling is just more convenient I guess. I'm a little worried, but his doctor told me that everything checks out good. My brother didn't start walking until he was almost two, I hope my son doesn't take that long, I'm due in November, eeek!  As for the talking he just babbles ALOT. He has a few words he can say, but not much. Some kids are talkers, some aren't.

by Mom2boys on May. 8, 2009 at 11:22 PM

My son did not walk until 14 months.  He was walking holding on to everything.  I asked my ped at his 1 year check-up and she told not to be concerned b/c all kids are different and experts dont consider it a problem until 18months and not walking.  As for the talking thing mine babble a lot like that and now at almost 3 years he talks complete sentences.  His ped always remarks how advanced he is in talking.  I like to think b/c he is around adults(he is an only child) and we never baby talked with him. 

I am a 25 year old wife to Ben(6/07/03) and mommy to Connor(5/14/06) who was planned and most likely our only child.  I vaccinate, don't co-sleep, feed healthy food, SAHM, college student, proud preschool mom, scrapbooker, love date nights with my husband. in love     toddler boy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)