Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Letting your baby CIO

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM
  • 12 Replies

So my pediatrician wanted me to let my 5 month old CIO to get to sleep. And at first I didn't agree and ignored his advice. I instead put on lullabies in her room and rocked her to sleep, but now she has gotten worse and is waking up all night wanting me to nursefor comfort. So now I'm starting to believe this is the only way to go about it and we HAVE tried everything else (co sleeping, going in there every 5 minutes to reassure her we are there, Nursing her when she wants, going in and talking to her every once in a while from the hallway.)  I hate hearing her scream but I know I cant rock her to sleep anymore she is 22 pounds at almost 6 months my back is breaking! Has anyone does this and had success all the moms on here I have heard said that I should just keep feeding and rocking her when she wants, so I really need to hear the other side,anyone????????

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:06 PM
I was in the same shoes as you...seriously, it is hard to hear your baby cry. I would do the same as you, I would go in and rock him, nurse him...I even made the mistake in bringing him to bed with me!
Finally, I knew that I had to let him CIO. So we did, and he now sleeps almost through the night (which is a HUGE improvement!)
we have been doing it for 5 days now.
Try doing it with your little one...I know it is hard, but know you are not being a "bad" mother of any sort. You are doing it for the best of you and your baby. Hey, we all need sleep! (:
Good luck, sweetie (:
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:12 PM

well different technques work for different kids.  With my first child i was doing the same thing you are, i would rock him to sleep and then put him in his bed and he would wake up during the night.  i looked it up online and they say babies do that because they wake up and your no longer there or whatever you use to put them to sleep is no longer there and they panic.  so i tried the CIO method and it took my then husband to hold me down so that i wouldnt go in there and pick him up. a couple nights of htat and my baby was sleeping all the way through the using the CIO method with my 10 month old, he still wakes up to eat but not for comfort.  and i think that its over all more healthy for them to learn how to fall asleep on there own....

If your not comfortable with that then rock your baby to the point of quite asleep yet....then lay your baby in the bed and she will go to sleep on her own.   with the CIO method they cry and scream yes but you can still go in there and pat their back or rub their head for alittle bit and reassure them that you havent abandoned them...but dont pick them up.....if you have any questions just write me.  i hope this helps.

If anyone ever needs advice on relationships like marriage, friends, family, or thinking about divorce or you are divorced and need help with your es husband?.....join this new group!!!
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I had the same problem! What I finally did and I know this isnt the best eaither but I would put like 2oz of formula in a bottle and give it to him when I lay him down! when hes done he talkes sometimes and then goes right tosleep!!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Shes breastfeeding and wont take a bottle :( thanx any way!

Quoting Annette819:

I had the same problem! What I finally did and I know this isnt the best eaither but I would put like 2oz of formula in a bottle and give it to him when I lay him down! when hes done he talkes sometimes and then goes right tosleep!!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Do what you feel comfortable with I never used the CIO method but then again my son slept with me...If your comfortable using CIO then go for it, its just going to be hard to listen to your baby cry

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:21 PM

If you would like to try another method, get the book 'No Cry Sleep Solution'.
I used a little bit of CIO, but not to the full extent that others have. I am a firm believer in let a child 'whine' it out, but not CIO. The book is very informative and gives you different techniques that can help you. (I used some of them and disregarded others).
And keep in mind, that she is probably really confused, before you would be with her when she would fall asleep and now she is alone. So yeah I bet she is waking up to nurse for comfort (like you said) she is probably just confused and scared.
If you want you can PM and I can give you some things to try that worked for me. My daughter was putting herself to sleep by 5-6 months, but was NOT sleeping through the night. She is 18 months and 1-2 times a week still wakes up.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:25 PM

How did you sleep with your baby though I dont understand, maybe its just my baby but if she sleeps with me she knows I'm there thus she wakes up all the time to nurse. Had you baby every slept though the night when he was in bed with you?

by on May. 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I tried CIO with my daughter, and it was HARD.  I would end up crying in the living room listening to her.  I just couldn't take it.  What I started doing was, lay her down when she was almost asleep, and just rub or pat her back till she stopped crying.  Not necessarly till she fell asleep though.  When she woke up, as long as it wasn't because she was hungry or needed a diaper, I would let her cry for a few minutes to see if she would put herself back to sleep.  If she didn't I would go in and first try to just pat or rub her back or belly.  If that didn't work, and she was still screaming.  I would pick her up.  But only if she was really screaming.  It took  about a week or so before she decided she could fall asleep on her own.  Once my son was about 2 months old I did the same with him, and now he falls asleep in his crib every night.  We do nurse, burp, and cuddle before he goes into his crib, but unless he isn't feeling well, he falls asleep in the crib.  Not with me holding him.

That said:  Every baby is different.  You just have to keep trying till you find what works for you and your baby.  There is no single way to get all baby's to sleep.  Just keep trying.  You're doing great!!

by on May. 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Americans are under the false impression that you can spoil your baby. The fact is the more love, attention, and touch you give your baby makes for a happier and more independent child--your child deals with the world much better when s/he's been taught that someone will always be there for them when needed.

There are many other things you can try if you're having trouble putting her down, lots of books, other pediatricians who might be able to help (try to find one with a more natural bent.) One thing to do that seems to help a lot is if you're not sleeping with the baby, to put him or her down right before she falls asleep, not when fully asleep.

As LeVar Burton used to say: "But you don't have to take my word for it."
by on May. 9, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I know a lot of people will not agree with my method because a lot of people think there is an age limit on CIO, and that's fine, to each their own...

My DD is 2 1/2 months...I let her cry it out at 6 weeks old...she has been sleeping in her own crib, in her own room, since birth and sleeping thru the night since the first night I let her CIO at 6 weeks...I only had to do it one night...she cried about 15-20 minutes and fell asleep and has slept thru the night since...

It worked for me and my Doc said there were no issues and it wasn't going to harm her by doing it that early, in fact he said he was glad I was able to handle it at that early cause he sees so many moms that can't handle hearing their children cry, but as long as I knew my DD was fed and clean, there would be no harm to letting her I think you should just keep trying it out...don't go in every 5 minutes and comfort her...but do set time limits...of course don't let her cry for hours, but lay her down and give her say 15-20 minutes...if she's still crying, go in, comfort her, check her diaper, feed her a little more and try again, giving her 30 minutes this time...eventually she will fall asleep.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Hayden & Bevin

I am a formula feeding, never co-sleeping, sleeping in their own room, stomach sleeping, vaccinating, time-out and CIO believer, pro-induction, pro-choice, tattooed and pierced, needs to lose some weight mama.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)