Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? for women who have had a c-section...

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM
  • 14 Replies

When you had the spinal, how had did it hurt???

I'm having a c-section on June 4th.  This is my second but when I had my first, I was being induced at first.  I got the epi before they started to induce me and so when I had my spinal (emergency c-section), I didn't feel it.  As soon as they layed me down, I got sick for a few mins but thats the only thing I felt from the spinal....

I'm freaking out cause I heard it hurts worse than an epi and I'm such a wuss!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chaoticmonkey2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:37 AM

I don't remember the pain. As soon as they put it in you go numb. They had to lay me down. So, even if you do feel something it's not going to be for long!

vannahsmom07
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:38 AM

i was drugged up realy good before i had mine so i didnt even feel a thing! sorry

girl on a swingOur Big Girl is 2!!

MrsMommySanchez
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:39 AM
i didnt feel it. they numbed my back before they put in the injection. its just a shot of anesthesia. its less scary than an epidural. i loved it. when i got my spinal when i had my daughter 8 months ago i was in labor for over 8 hours and as soon as i got it i got relief. i had no side effects from it. with the epidural i had to lay on my back for 12 hrs before i got up. dont fret. it will be fine. good luck. congrats.
LilmomaShan
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM

I think most of it is all about how well you prepare yourself psychlogically for it. My first c-section was an emergency one and i was scared and had no idea what was going to happen and hadnt really prepared myself for any of these type of thoughts. When they done the spinal it was awful. Really mostly cause they was having a hard time getting it in and that was because of my spine. They thought they was gonnna have to just put me to sleep. Anyways then the next time i had a c-section i was ready. I just new it was going to be awful so i curled up in the ball and waited for it to be the most dreadful pain i had ever felt like the first time. Ha it was nothing. I just groaned a bit cause it was a bit uncomfortable....like  a bee sting. Even the doctors was proud of how well i done. I had a third one and it wasnt as bad as my first either. I really think its just a matter of preparing yourself......you know its gonna hurt but you have to remember its only for a second. A real fast stick and then its over with. You will be just fine. It all sounds worse than it really is. Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy.

MILF062207
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Quoting MrsMommySanchez:

i didnt feel it. they numbed my back before they put in the injection. its just a shot of anesthesia. its less scary than an epidural. i loved it. when i got my spinal when i had my daughter 8 months ago i was in labor for over 8 hours and as soon as i got it i got relief. i had no side effects from it. with the epidural i had to lay on my back for 12 hrs before i got up. dont fret. it will be fine. good luck. congrats.

Wait, I had to lay on my back for 12 hrs cause of the spinal, not the epi..... ???????  Plus if they use the same stuff to numb u for the spinal as they do the epi, that numbing stuff did nothing for me.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:46 AM

Mine were not bad at all.

I stayed in the hospital for less than 24 hours and didn't need any pain medications after the spinal. The spinal is just a quick shot. I was in labour for 27 hours with my son, but I never had an epidural so I have nothing to compare it to. I had staples with my first and they hurt me, so with my daughter I asked for stitches. They cut out my old scar (it keloided) and now it is hardly visable. I think they stiches helped so much! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2009 at 1:48 AM

Quoting MILF062207:

Quoting MrsMommySanchez:

Wait, I had to lay on my back for 12 hrs cause of the spinal, not the epi..... ???????  Plus if they use the same stuff to numb u for the spinal as they do the epi, that numbing stuff did nothing for me.

12 hours after the spinal? A few hours after my kids were born, I was in the shower and up walking around a bit. I was determined to pee so I didn't need a catheter lol

tyra618
by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Mine didn't hurt at all.  It was uncomfortable but not painful.  Just do as they say.  Breath in and it should be fine.  I had the issue with the catheter.  That is what I didn't like at all.  Was horrible.  Good luck with your c-section. 

jackiec7707
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Omg.. Now do not let this scare you because I'm sure it doesn't happen to many people.

I always had a thing with spines so I'm sure this didn't help me any when it came time to get my spinal. I did everything that they said. They did it and it didn't hurt. Then they said that it didn't take. Every time they did it it hurt more and more until I was screaming. They stuck me a total of 7 times in my spine before they moved to a different size. So the 8th time it took.  It was truly my nightmare. I was sure that I was going to be paralyzed the whole time they were doing it. I swear I have a scar from it on my spine. I could have killed that guy.. whatever he was an anesthesiologist or whatever. My boyfriend almost broke into the OR because he could hear me from the prep room and they wouldn't let him back until the spinal was done.

Like I said though the 1st time they stuck me it wasn't bad and I'm sure that's all that they will do to you. Good luck!

Makenzies_mom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:07 AM

i would not worrie mama i had both and neather of them i felt i had mine 15 months ago and it was an emergency one to and i dont remember the pain my problem was after they started my c section when they were cuting the bag of water i started crying in pain the dr ask me why i was crying i should not feel athing and did not till that piont when he found out he gave me a spinal block and i felt them take her out odd feeling ever and shortly after seeing her i was knocked out and woke up in intensive care and saw her 4hrs later when they got my pain under contol and i was a wake enough to hold her. not meaning to scare you but realy that spinaly thing and spinal block and epi did not hurt  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)