Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cruises..

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

After enjoying several cruises, we'll likely never take a different type of vacation.. Everything is on the ships and it takes us to many destinations to enjoy.

So far we've only been on Carnival Cruiselines, which is great but when it comes to small children, it's not the most enjoyable.  Camp Carnival is open from 9-12, 2-4 and then 7-10pm.. but aside from that, there's not much else for them to do in between but the pool.. which leads me to an issue we had with a boy that had Pink Eye on this last cruise.. my son developed it along with croup.  If there's an illness, my son is sure to get it.. Needless to say, we can't worry about every possible illness.

Anyhow, I'm considering the Disney Cruise next time. Definitely in a suite this time since there's 5 of us..   We had an exterior cabin with a window and it was much too cramped because we figured we wouldn't be in the cabin much, like on other cruises we've taken; but when we're in the cabin, it's no joy in such tight surroundings.

What's been your best cruise and what are your DO'S AND DON'T S of cruising??

If you haven't cruised yet, this post may be informative for you and what to look for.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I want to do the Disney Cruise also. It looks very fun. You can go online and it has a virtual tour of the rooms.

There is a Nickelodeon one also.

I would be a first time cruise person, but I really want to go on one. My youngest is only 2 right now. Maybe when she is older.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I'm watching Dos and Dont's of cruising on the Travel channel now, which brought the idea to mind.

The Disney Suite is 1000 square feet and it's booked a year in advance. Wow!! 

Anyhow, when you choose your cruise, don't pay full price.. You can get great deals by booking a year earlier.  The only issue with this is that once you're booked, you are booked so if anything happens, you don't get your money back unless you buy insurance. With insurance you'll get 75% of your money back.

Another way to get discount deals is to book very late but then you're stuck with the cabins they have left, which may not be what you want but you'll get a cheaper price. That's what we did and why we got stuck with the cabin we got, which was too small for 5 people. Kept bumping our heads on everything.

The price already includes food, a variety of drinks, with the exception of soda or alcohol also..  

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM

You can buy a voucher beforehand and get all the soda drinks you want. Also book shore excursions BEFORE the cruise! They are MUCH cheaper than if you purchase on the ship. My cruises have been with and w/o kids. The last one I took was a cruise ship that was doing a "no kids" sailing. That was great!! No screamers or criers. The pool was a peaceful place to be with no kids running around like crazy.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Thanks, now I know what to look out for.

WilliamsMama08
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Has anyone done the cruse that goes up and around Alaska?  I've always wanted to do that one..

GOBryan
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Honestly, if you want a decent, cheap cruise. We got the exterior window cabin and it only cost us $1500.00 for the 5 of us, on Carnival for a 3 night cruise.  We got on Thursday and arrived Sunday morning.

This included all the meals and food, which is all day.. milk, lemonade, water, tea and coffee..  It also included the shows and regular events. 

It's cheaper than flying to a destination and then getting a room there; plus much less hassle..

Another thing, the ship leaves around 4pm from port.. If you get there around 11am, they will let you on board around 11:30 and you can enjoy the day while the rest are trying to get board.  Don't get there any earlier than that because you won't be able to board.  Also, since luggage will be checked in, you won't see it for a while and although you board early, you won't be able to get into your cabin until 1:30pm, so go in bathing attire and very little carry on stuff.  The cabin will already have things like shampoo, shower gel, razor, etc.. free of charge so you don't have to take certain items.

After our first time, we'll likely never do it any other way.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Not me, we've only been to Nassau and Cozumel/Cancun.

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

Has anyone done the cruse that goes up and around Alaska?  I've always wanted to do that one..

Loved4Sure
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:40 PM

My two favorite cruise lines are Norwegian and Royal Carribean.

I love that on Norwegian you can have dinner at many different locations with a reservation and no additional fees. Also, tips etc are worked into cost of tickets.

I like royal carribean because the service is amazing and the ships are very well maintained.

I have been on princess, carnival and celebrity, but I wouldn't sail any of those lines again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)